How does one get a tone similar to vai's on songs like tender surrender and for the love of god? (im talking pickups amps pedals anything will help)
what is the music theory and what does it teach you, like scales, solos, and to build speed???

Check out my recordings
Vai had a custom made pickup that made the strings move for longer which caused the sound to keep on going. The pickup he used isnt mass produced and their very rare to find. I checked my music store and they had this little thing that you have to turn on and put on the strings and the sound go on for ever but i forgot what its called
Quote by croc76
Vai had a custom made pickup that made the strings move for longer which caused the sound to keep on going. The pickup he used isnt mass produced and their very rare to find. I checked my music store and they had this little thing that you have to turn on and put on the strings and the sound go on for ever but i forgot what its called

Wow you're a n00b.

He uses dimarzio evolution pickups mainly, also uses breed pickups. An alder, humbucker equipped guitar will work fine. Ibanez make's JEMs which are his signature guitar. Carvin makes his signature amp, the vai legacy. His distortion pedals include the boss DS1 and an ibanez tubescreamer. the cheapest way I would say is buy an ibanez RG for around 400, change the pickups to evolutions, and get a vox valvetronix, they deliver good vai-esque tones.

Oh and about that thing that vibrates the strings? It's called a fernandes sustainer, and they are VERY much still in production, in fact the same one steve vai uses is a limited edition at the moment.

EDIT: On both of those songs he uses his neck pickup with some smooth distortion.
Hi.

I'm like..so cool

Quote by ?øXÍÇÍ?¥

Cheesemuffin > les paul

Runner Up for best guitarist...

Meh better than nothing
You want a sustainiac to get that never ending sustain (Well until the batteries run out).

I've got one on my Hamer Chapparal Custom.

http://www.sustainiac.com/

With regards his amplification I believe when he wrote For the love of god he used a massive rack system which they nicknamed the refridgerator, because it was literally the size of one of those fridges so beloved by our American friends!!
Like Chees says he uses Carvin now.
a marshally type valve amp overdrive boosted with a boss ds1, using dimarzio evos or paf pros pickups will get you close.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by CheeseMuffin909

Oh and about that thing that vibrates the strings? It's called a fernandes sustainer, and they are VERY much still in production, in fact the same one steve vai uses is a limited edition at the moment.

EDIT: On both of those songs he uses his neck pickup with some smooth distortion.

He could also be talking about an E-Bow, you put those over the strings to make them vibrate.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Vai used a heavily customized Marshall on For the love of God and a Bogner Ecstasy on Tender Surrender. You can probably get close with the Carvin Legacy, but his tone has changed quite a bit since he started using it.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Thanks a lot everyone. How would the evo pickups sound through a fender blues jr (tube amp)? I'm guessing it wouldn't be very close.

Also, how about his tone on the song Feathers? It sounds pretty different in that song.
what is the music theory and what does it teach you, like scales, solos, and to build speed???

Check out my recordings
Quote by Archeo Avis
Vai used a heavily customized Marshall on For the love of God and a Bogner Ecstasy on Tender Surrender. You can probably get close with the Carvin Legacy, but his tone has changed quite a bit since he started using it.

It was a JCM 800 on For The Love Of God. And yes, VERY heavily modified. On For The Love Of God he was playing a basswood Ibanez Universe with Blaze IIs (a Tone Zone/PAF pro) combo might work best to get this sound on a six string.

On Tender Surrender, it was a Bogner Ecstacy. The guitar was an alder Jem with Dimarzio Evos.

A DS-1 is pretty useful too is you're after that sound.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
^ aye, the ds1 boosting it adds a bit of treble that helps to get the vai tone.

it's pretty moot though, most of the vai tone is in the fingers. If you can't play like him, you won't really sound like him.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by timi_hendrix
He could also be talking about an E-Bow, you put those over the strings to make them vibrate.

Not a chance, he said pickup. The e-bow is used as a pick, not a pickup.
Hi.

I'm like..so cool

Quote by ?øXÍÇÍ?¥

Cheesemuffin > les paul

Meh better than nothing
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ aye, the ds1 boosting it adds a bit of treble that helps to get the vai tone.

it's pretty moot though, most of the vai tone is in the fingers. If you can't play like him, you won't really sound like him.

Tone is all in the equipment.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
Tone is all in the equipment.

Highly debatable, but tone is widely considered to be in the fingers and technique of the player. Playing on EVH's exact rig isn't going to make you sound like him.
Quote by codybcool
Highly debatable, but tone is widely considered to be in the fingers and technique of the player. Playing on EVH's exact rig isn't going to make you sound like him.

The tone will be exactly the same. You will sound different because you articulate the notes differently, but the tone with be EXACTLY the same.
This thread isn't a debate thread. Please don't bother having a pointless argument.

Right now I'm using a Gibson Les Paul with Fender Blues Jr, no distortion pedals or overdrive at all, what do you think would be the first thing that would help the most right now? The amp, the pedal or the pickups/guitar?

Check out my recordings
Quote by Viruk
This thread isn't a debate thread. Please don't bother having a pointless argument.

Right now I'm using a Gibson Les Paul with Fender Blues Jr, no distortion pedals or overdrive at all, what do you think would be the first thing that would help the most right now? The amp, the pedal or the pickups/guitar?

The amp is probably the single biggest factor in your tone.
You are going to have a HARD time achieving a vai tone with an LP.

If I were you i'd trade in the paul for a double humbucker RG.

Put evolutions in it, get a boss ds1 right into your blues jr.

You will have close tone to steve vai's. Not exact, but it will definately be a nice nice tone no doubt.
Hi.

I'm like..so cool

Quote by ?øXÍÇÍ?¥

Cheesemuffin > les paul

Meh better than nothing
Well I'm not going to trade in my LP since I use it a lot but I guess my next guitar will be an RG. The floyd rose or edge pro or whatever is making me unsure though. Seems complicated. You think my tone would be close with the rg and ds1 even through my amp right now?

Check out my recordings
Yes! That is a good amp!

The edge 3 tremolo's on the lower end RG's are great if set up correctly. My only fuss with them is that the tremolo arm falls out alot because it isn't screwed in, it's just a drop in with no bushings or anything.

But if you don't want a trem, just get a hardtail RG

EDIT: You would be better off getting an alder strat with two humbuckers, the pickups aren't that great for vai stuff but you can drop some evolutions in there and it'll sound damn close. Check out the fender made in mexico strats. They are nice!
Hi.

I'm like..so cool

Quote by ?øXÍÇÍ?¥

Cheesemuffin > les paul

Meh better than nothing
Well, either way he'll have to change out the pickups at some point, and you pretty much need a trem to really play like Vai.
I will show you something different from either
Your shadow in the morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you
I will show you fear in a handful of dust
He didn't say he wanted to play like Vai, he asked about his tone. You don't need a trem to get a Vai'ish tone. You'll need a trem to play for the love of god though.
Hi.

I'm like..so cool

Quote by ?øXÍÇÍ?¥

Cheesemuffin > les paul

Meh better than nothing
Quote by Viruk
Well I'm not going to trade in my LP since I use it a lot but I guess my next guitar will be an RG. The floyd rose or edge pro or whatever is making me unsure though. Seems complicated. You think my tone would be close with the rg and ds1 even through my amp right now?

The DS-1 doesn't really sound like Vai at all, he only uses it to boost his amp. And until fairly recently, th DS-1 he used was Keeley modded.
^ didn't he only use a modded one recently? i'm pretty sure all his classics were with a stock one (probably japanese, though). you're right about it only being used to boost- you need to have overdrive coming from the amp, with the ds1 adding the edge.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I think you're right Dave, I don't think he used his modded DS1s back then.
Hi.

I'm like..so cool

Quote by ?øXÍÇÍ?¥

Cheesemuffin > les paul

Meh better than nothing
^
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Isn't it called like a "seeing eye" mod or something? I stumbled upon a website that was talking about how Steve sent this dude some pedals to mod or something. And I know for sure it wasn't back when he was recording FTLOG or TS.
Hi.

I'm like..so cool

Quote by ?øXÍÇÍ?¥

Cheesemuffin > les paul

Meh better than nothing
^ yeah. www.rkfx.com
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
My god. That dude is like the Jesus of effects pedals.
Hi.

I'm like..so cool

Quote by ?øXÍÇÍ?¥

Cheesemuffin > les paul

Meh better than nothing
^ meh, there are plenty of guys like him, either modding and/or making their own pedals. it's not like RK is the only guy...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm about to stick some evos into an RG 1570, and I'll tll you how it sounds.
Is the single-coil hum-cancelling? I think so huh?
The amp for Tender Surrender was a Bogner Ecstacy 100A
This was before he used the DS1, so that won't help you the slightest bit.

And tone is in the fingers anyway.

Expect to have all your vai questions answered when I finish his rig . I've essentially got just about every piece of information on his rig available.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure