okay guys, i m building my own guitar, and may be looking into scollaping the frets, but i need to no, is it really worth it ? wat are the pro's and con's of having this, i have been told that speed can be increased, but would it require a great amount of getting used to?
Quote by Invictious
What the hell is scollap? some sort of weird fungus that grows in pubic regions?

Hot damn! I'm SO gonna sig that!
scalloping is when... well you lower the fret board between each fret, i guess so your fingers hit the board less.. ive never played a guitar when the necks been done to it.. i know Ritchie Blackmore has it on all his necks... but i have played a guitar with jumbo large frets. you never your the fret board... it takes some getting use to, but most people like it when they do.
people know wht scalloping is, they just don't know what scOllAping is!

It actaually makes the guitar harder to play, but it helps with note-bending.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by eddiehimself
people know wht scalloping is, they just don't know what scOllAping is!

It actaually makes the guitar harder to play, but it helps with note-bending.

Not exactly, maybe for the first few weeks, but it just becomes natural.

Give Yngaywie a guitar with normal fretboard and it will be harder to play for him.

Yay, 2nd time sigged.
From experience of playing one..I'd say no..but It's a personal preference like anything set-up related.

I'd try and play one thats already been done..check your local shop..and then decide..nothing worse than changing it and then not being able to play aswell..remember its pretty much permenant
Originally Posted by ygokazuki
Will_Gum knows what he's talking about

Originally Posted by RedDeath9
Is this the kinda thread like the one that Will_Gum made about eating his baby brother or something? Because it's not as good..
Quote by Invictious

Give Yngaywie a guitar with normal fretboard and it will be harder to play for him.

Yay, 2nd time sigged.

Well yeah obviously u get used to it, like i got used to heavy gauge strings but it is still harder to play, u just get better at playing it.

And yes well done for beeing sigged twice.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by eddiehimself
Well yeah obviously u get used to it, like i got used to heavy gauge strings but it is still harder to play, u just get better at playing it.

And yes well done for beeing sigged twice.

Well each to their own then, I use .015s and I haven't lost any playability, and I like it.

It's hard for me to play strings below .011s
That' insane, what tuning r u in? I use 12's mostly.
EH

Hahah, drop C, or drop a or drop e (octave lower)

I also like .013s, .011s are the minimum I can stand.
Yeah i like .13's, i tune a 1/2 step down. And I'm planning on getting some like 15-60's or summt like that for my other guitar which is in drop Ab-tuning, Is "shredding" even a term used in piano and cello playing?
EH

Quote by Invictious

Yay, 2nd time sigged.

Hardly... Ever seen Yngwie on an acoustic? He's far more sherdz0rzy than usual.

I realize this is a day old, but I use scallopped necks exclusively, so I might as well share my "Wisdom".

First off, they are NOT easier to play faster on. In fact, it's actually harder to play faster. The theory behind a scalloped neck is that when you are playing, It will take less pressure on the string to make it fretted. Which really, is far better for tremolo, and even slide playing. I personally can't stand full fretboards now, with the exception of on thick necks.... It's kind of hard to just have one guitar with a scalloped neck, then go straight away to another that doesn't have any scallops.
Quote by Vornik
There's nothing illogical about slavery.
Quote by Invictious
That's why you have half SCOLLAPED necks

Half Scalloped neck? Never seen those before lmao....... Touche, If they actually do exist....

Steve Vai's 21-24th fret scallops don't count either, by the way.

EDIT: And I can't see how you guys can stand those thick strings.... All I ever play is .08s........ The thick ones are far to tight... Hardly bendable at all... But not my .08s! Mwahahaha... I can bend forever on these.
Quote by Vornik
There's nothing illogical about slavery.
Last edited by Constantine at Aug 23, 2006,
Different style, I guess.
My own set is weird - On the low E, 48's to 11's on the high E.
Pure nickel, baby.
None of that nickel plated crap for me.
If you want to scallop the fretboard, it makes the strings go down deeper, making them out of tune, but, you can get an easier and faster play action..i would not scallop but you do what you feel like
technically it is supposed to make playing faster easier because it takes less pressure to get the note. on a regular neck you have to push the string to the wood because the frets are usually not high enough to make contact with the string. so when the accuall frett is the highest part on the neck you dont have to push the string very hard at all so it just makes contact with the fret. in my opinion its like all notes are like playing harmonics, you only have to press down that much.
it makes the action feel higher and gives you more control over bends and vibrato.