...OK, what are my options for doing the above? Ideally I'd like to convert it into a hardtail bridge, I don't know if that's possible, but I was wondering if I might be able to fit one of these (Schaller 455) and if so, what would be involved? and, not being able to find any dimensions for that part, I'm also wondering if it would raise the action.

If there's no way to convert it to a fixed bridge, I'd at least like something with a bit more quality than the stock one (better sustain etc) it does look like a Fender trem, though I'm not sure if all the dimensions are right...
Last edited by Mr Songwriter at Aug 22, 2006,
I don't think u can, if u want more sustain, stick a block of wood between the bridge (inside the trem cavity) and the body to stop the trem from moving and it will effectivley give u a hardtail bridge.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
If you want better sustain, try replacing the trem block with a cast steel one. This adds mass to the system and can really boost tone and sustain from what i hear. I know they make ones for fender, not sure about PRS though.
My gear;

Custom HSS Strat (eBay'ed parts)
Fender Acoustic
DOD EQ
EH Big Muff
Home-made Wah
Home-made Booster
Laney LC15

Looking for a Jazz Bass body to refinish

My DeviantArt Page, MySpace Profile
Quote by Black_seeds
I did that with a pack of cards, works fine .

I've done that to a guitar too, using... a load of lollipop sticks it improved the tuning stability a bit, but I don't think there was much of an increase in sustain, so I might try and get a trem with a cast steel block, I've got a Fender trem unit somewhere so I can compare it with the PRS one to see if the dimensions are the same.
I think the sustain is because the sticks are very soft and not very dense which is kind of what u need for transferring more of the sustain to the body. I don't think a heavy bridge will help becuse the vibrations are still beng transferred to the body by 3 springs.
I heard one person who increased sustain by tightening their springs, i think it would have the same effect if u added more springs aswell. U might wanna screw in a couple more screws tho, to decrese the strain of the spring claw and increase the amount of vibrations transferred to the body.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Last edited by eddiehimself at Aug 22, 2006,
Yeah, that's a good point eddie- Mr Songwriter, is the trem pretty loose, or floating? Tightening the spring claw at the back, or adding more springs can stop the trem from damping the sound (vibration from the string can be lost in the springs, they act almost like shock absorbers in a car).
If you really want to change the bridge, take a look at how your curent bridge is fixed on- is it held on my screws (like a mexican or vintage strat), or does it have 2 pivot points (like a modern USA strat)? How far apart are the screws/posts. Compare these to the replacement brdige that you want, and if they match then it should be fairly easy to fit it. If the dimensions are out, you might have to drill new holes (and subsequently fill the old ones, requiring some refinishing of that area). I'm sure there are some trems that are designed as a direct retrofit for PRS SE models, so have a lok around and try to find the best one for you
My gear;

Custom HSS Strat (eBay'ed parts)
Fender Acoustic
DOD EQ
EH Big Muff
Home-made Wah
Home-made Booster
Laney LC15

Looking for a Jazz Bass body to refinish

My DeviantArt Page, MySpace Profile
Well I put three springs on and the trem was pretty tight to begin with, then I put lollipop sticks packed tightly on either side of the trem block so it was wedged in tight. The bridge on the PRS is fixed on with the screws (vintage strat style) but I'd really like it to be fixed on with posts like that Schaller above or a Tune-o-matic, I think that would improve the sustain, though, as you say, that could involve quite a bit of refinishing and messing about.

Edit: Actually, it occurs to me that the best material to make a trem block out of would probably be steel though I'm not sure how I'd go about getting a piece cut to the exact size.
Last edited by Mr Songwriter at Aug 22, 2006,