She's getting a new guitar for her birthday (the very unfortunately dated september 11th :-/) and she wants me to help her pck one out, she has roughly £200 to spend, going a bit over or under, BUT she doesnt want a guitar she wants a shred guitar and another but is coming, its going to have to be jackson or ibanez, which isnt too bad, she wants one super strat style, with an FR or whatever ibanez RGs have (i think its edge pro)

Shes suggested a GRG but these are made from agathis, i showed her a jackson, alder body but i hear jackson trems arent too good

any help?

I want to steer her in the direction of one that will be versatile for most music cos this is a phase shes going through, she doesnt even know of any shredders, she didnt even know who Joe Satriani or Steve Vai were
well you could try a non-GRG RG, like the RG 350EX / DX, cos theyre cheap, actually a little over budget so.....[searches net] yeh, what i thought, the RG 321 MH
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=67798
very cheap....thats a good site too.

[EDIT: I know its fixed bridge but at that price you will NOT get a good FR style trem at ALL, especially not Ibanez, with Ibanez you have to go over £500 ish to get a good trem)
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
well al locking trems in that price range will be truly appaling, the cheapest guitar with a decent locking trem is the ibanez s470 which is around £330, it has the great zr trem

edit: or if shes willing to go used she should check out the ibanez rg550, 560 and 570, all of which have decent trems
MY gear
Vintage v100 les paul.
POS Ion strat
Vox ad50vt
15 watt practice amp
Ibanez rg570
Last edited by chris24789 at Aug 22, 2006,
A shred guitar for 200 pounds is possible, but one with a decent locking trem isn't.

As a matter of fact, you could probably buy a seperate decent trem for that money. Get her a Schaller Floyd Rose.
Since when have i been paying for this? :p

and i dont think she gives a f*** about the trem as she'd barely use it except for the odd wangle and trick but she wants an all shred guitar *rolls eyes*
If you know a girl who can shred your ass off, steer her my way. I'm marrying her.
"Chuck-E-Cheese called. They want their band back."
If she gives no **** about the trem, just tell her to by a one of those Hamer Californian things for 99 pounds. They're cheap and they look a bit like 80's guitars. She won't tell the difference if she's as dumb as you say.
1st of all, GRG's arent made from Agathis at all, they are made from Basswood. Ibanez hardly use Agathis as its base, even on their entry level guitars.

I'd highly recommend you friend to get an RG321MH, and when she's really ready and know her way in the shred world, then only get her another RG with trem.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
adding to madpickin.... rg 5xxx or the famous rg1570 if she wants to go serious with shred.
[img]http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9672/stevevaisigver24vf.jpg[/img]
Just an influence.
welll i dont know what 200euros are translated to americna money, but get an ibanez s470 its about 600 us dollars, it also has a ZR locking trem thingy
If she is just starting out, which is what I am assuming, I don't think she should get a double locking trem because it will probably frustrate her more than anything, more so if she, as you say, only wants to use it for the occasional trick.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
Try an RG Ibanez my mate got one for £210 (a tenners neither here nor there), from a guitar shop so online may be even cheaper.

It's build for speed, no whammy but at that price your trem arm is probably gonna mess up tuning anyway and make a half decent guitar ****e (see Squier strat).

Nice guitar anyway, I'd recommend it to your friend, or The Great Kat as she may be known in a few years time, ha ha!
You won't get a decent 'shred guitar' for 200 quid.
Ibanez RG2550E Prestige
Squier Bullet
Roland Cube 30W
Bro you can get something for a beginner for that price though.

Any solid piece of wood is good for learning on, ****, Squire has made a fortune from that concept for years.
Sure, you can get a beginner's guitar for 200 quid, can get one even for 50 quid. (Whether she is a beginner or not, I do not know)

However, this girl wants a guitar that won't hold a price-tag of 200 quid or below. Tell her to save up a bit more.
Ibanez RG2550E Prestige
Squier Bullet
Roland Cube 30W
just get her a decent all around guitar from one of those companys and tell her it's a shred guitar....seriously....if she knows nothing bout guitar and it's just a phase, then she'll thank you later on when it's better for more than just shred
Quote by Chad11491
just get her a decent all around guitar from one of those companys and tell her it's a shred guitar....seriously....if she knows nothing bout guitar and it's just a phase, then she'll thank you later on when it's better for more than just shred

Haha I love it when phase guitarists go out and spend a wad on a guitar and don't even use them.

Then I come in and buy them off them for half the original price a month later.
Quote by eyeownyu
welll i dont know what 200euros are translated to americna money, but get an ibanez s470 its about 600 us dollars, it also has a ZR locking trem thingy

First off, it's 200 Great British Pounds, not Euro's. Secondly, 200 'quid' does not translate into 600 USD, more like.. 370'ish.

I know next to nothing about specific US guitar prices, but guitars tend to be more expensive over here anyway, so I doubt that's in her price range.
Ibanez RG2550E Prestige
Squier Bullet
Roland Cube 30W