I'm thinking of selling my fender hot rod deluxe and getting something like the marshall mg100dfx combo. My fender is a pretty decent amp but I can't get that really distorted sound out of it, that I could with the marshall. My question is do you think the marshall would be a better amp? Also, is it loud enough for a gig and if not are there any other good marshalls in the $300-700 price range? Thanks~
noo!!!!!! keep the hot rod and buy and distortion pedal and maybe better tubes!!! no MG!!!!
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
NO!!

Marshall MG's are CRAP. You're not gonna get a good distortion out of it. It's the worst marshall amp out there. Don't expect it to replicate the sounds of famous rock stars.

If you're happy with your amp, but you want more distortion, why not get a distortion pedal? Try the Boss DS-1 or MT-2 for heavier stuff.
The MG Marshall sucks. Look into the Marshall Artist series (my friend has a 3203 head and it kicks ass!) if you REALLY want the Marshall name. Or try out the jcm series. the jcm 900 combos are in your price range, I think.
DO NOT SELL THE FENDER! it could easily be made much better than the marshall by simply buying a distortion pedal. look at an ibanez tube screamer or a electro-harmonix big muff.
Absolutely not.
Unless you enjoy the sound of an old man coughing.
Get a distortion pedal like sashki said. And to add to the list he gave you I recommend the Ibanez Tube Screamer and a Digitech Death Metal.
This is what you get.
This is what you get.
This what you get when you mess with us.
Well id say either sell the combo and get a JCM900, or keep it and get an overdrive.

Do not ver get an MG
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
They're all right.... the MG isn't a good amp by any means.

Get a good distortion pedal, or like mentioned before, change the tubes.
Gear:
Fender Standard Telecaster (Sunburst Finish)
Washburn X-Series Electric (Black Finish)
Ibanez Electric-Acoustic (Black Finish)
Ariana Acoustic

Randall RX120D Halfstack

Just...don't do it. K? Please don't. Just buy a good overdrive pedal, such as the Jekyll & Hyde Ultimate Overdrive, and you'll be set for life.

KTHXDONTDOITBI
Quote by charvel_man

I am buying you an e-beer HomerHitter *Buys*
don't get the MG.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by sashki
NO!!

Marshall MG's are CRAP. You're not gonna get a good distortion out of it. It's the worst marshall amp out there. Don't expect it to replicate the sounds of famous rock stars.

If you're happy with your amp, but you want more distortion, why not get a distortion pedal? Try the Boss DS-1 or MT-2 for heavier stuff.

Haha, when I read the "NO!!" I just pictured you jumping into the thread and screaming NO in slow motion.
My SICK rig!:

-Ibanez GRX20Z
-Vox Valvetronix AD30VT

^So much better than my Bullet Reverb!!

Awesome!
That's possibly the worst idea I've heard in my life.

Hot Rods are great at cleans, and when paired with a decent overdrive, it can handle plenty of gain, but I'd suggest if you still don't like the Fender, to get another valve combo.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Last edited by R_H_C_P at Aug 22, 2006,
Eh.....wha....fu.......hell........what?

What?

*slaps with newspaper*

NO!.........damn man.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by R_H_C_P
That's possibly the worst idea I've heard in my life.

Hot Rods are great to cleans, and when paired with a decent overdrive, it can handle plenty of gain, but I'd suggest if you still don't like the Fender, to get a valve combo.

You mean to get another valve combo right?
The Hot Rod is a valve combo so I assume thats what you meant.
Quote by royalewithchees
I'm thinking of selling my fender hot rod deluxe and getting something like the marshall mg100dfx combo. My fender is a pretty decent amp but I can't get that really distorted sound out of it, that I could with the marshall. My question is do you think the marshall would be a better amp? Also, is it loud enough for a gig and if not are there any other good marshalls in the $300-700 price range? Thanks~

500-700 range? Sure. JCM 800-900 2x12 combos to be exact.
Haha its hilarious how quick we are to prevent him from such a horrible mistake.
My Gear-
Schecter 006 BlackJack
Ovation Tangent T357
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Roland Cube 60
Boss NS-2, CE-5, DS-1
DiMarzio Pedal Couplers
CRAZY TALK
BLASPHEMY
get a boss ds-2 for that baby
cover your precious amps ears before you mention that filth in its prescence
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
ill sell u mine

u seem like the kind of guy that deservs to be sold an MG100 lmao
gear4music indianapolis // Blackstar HT-1R Metal
On a related note, I'm considering trading in my YCV50 tube combo for a 10w practice amp. I need something with nice cleans but good for rock too, does anyone have any suggestions?
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Thanks for the feedback. I do have a DS-1 for my hot rod, its just hard to get it to sound really distorted (especially at higher volumes), to play stuff like Metallica. Any recommendations for distortion pedals (bigg muff or ds-2 maybe, i'm not crazy about digitech)?
fender hot rod = great amp
Gibson LesPaul Standard 1958 Custom Shop
Fender Stratocaster 70s Reissue
Charvel-Jackson Vintage Acoustic
Vox ac30
keep the Hot Rod man!

(Unless your willing to sell me the Hot Rod )
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Quote by electrik
This thread is amazing.

+43
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I Clicked on this thread thinking 'lol it would be funny if it was an MG'

...That's right, I think 'lol'...
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join