Poll: Fingering on Basic Power Chords
Poll Options
View poll results: Fingering on Basic Power Chords
Bar with third finger?
15 47%
Use your pinky on top string?
17 53%
Voters: 32.
Was just wondering, when everybody is playing basic power chords (root, fifth, root, not bar chords),do you just use your first finger on the lowest string and bar the other two strings, or do you use your pinky to play the top string? Just like to know, I always found it most cofortable to bar it (I was self taught) but was pondering trying to change and getting my pinky more involved.
I find that when I try and bar it, I end up hitting the string above and making it a sus4 chord. So I use my pinky.
METAR KTIK 040043Z COR RMK TORNADO 1W MOV NE. EVACUATING STATION
Use your pinky, it helps with barre chords.
Co-President of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

Quote by aprescott_27
I find that when I try and bar it, I end up hitting the string above and making it a sus4 chord. So I use my pinky.

same here

see we are TOO good at baring

TG
Fighting for peace, is like screwing for virginity

Screw you Waldo, go find yourself!!!!
Pinky.

(Un)Interestingly, I have a friend who uses his 1st, 2nd and 3rd fingers.

Jack White and James Hetfield both bar with their pinky.
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
I just use the index and the ring finger. All you have to do is slightly raise the ring finger at the "nail joint" to mute the 4th string, using just the 2 makes it a hell of alot easier to switch from 6th string based power chords to 5th string based. But the way I do it is put my index in a position like I'm playing a barre chord, but just press on the low e, and have the rest of the finger rest over the rest of the strings, muting them, and then just put the ring on the 5th and root, and bend it slightly to mute the 4th string, plus with all the strings muted you can pretty much strum as hard as you want and not worry about hitting other strings, because there muted ^_^
Quote by frenchyfungus
(Un)Interestingly, I have a friend who uses his 1st, 2nd and 3rd fingers.

I keep trying to do that.
Co-President of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club