how often should i use this to clean my fretboard and how many drops of it? And can u list some brands of good lemon oil?
It's pretty much all the same. Just make sure you get it from the guitar shop, not the grocery store. And just follow the directions You shouldn't do it more than twice a year or so.
Hi, I'm Peter
I bought some of that dunlop lemon oil. It comes in a tub, and it has like a cotton filter on the top, and i use that to scrub my fretboard. It works amazingly well.

I clean mine everytime i change my strings.
And i use an old toothbrush to get in the little scrath like things in the wood, and in the corner of the frets.
Been away, am back
Quote by Logz
I bought some of that dunlop lemon oil. It comes in a tub, and it has like a cotton filter on the top, and i use that to scrub my fretboard. It works amazingly well.

I clean mine everytime i change my strings.
And i use an old toothbrush to get in the little scrath like things in the wood, and in the corner of the frets.

(1) Your old avatar was so much better.

(2) Those "scratch like things" are called "graining"

(3) I've heard you're not supposed to lemon oil your neck that often. Is that incorrect?
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
(1) Your old avatar was so much better.

(2) Those "scratch like things" are called "graining"

(3) I've heard you're not supposed to lemon oil your neck that often. Is that incorrect?

1) Lol, i might change it back if i can find it in the avatar threads

2) Ah cool ty

3) Well, when i do it, i dont put much on. I put some on, then with a lint-free cloth, i scrub it until that gunky dirt is off. After that, i give it a quick buff and restring.

It looks clean, and has a lemony smell, but with not much oil on it.
Been away, am back
how often should i apply lemon oil? and do i use steel wool ont he rosewood too? or just the frets?
Quote by Dirk Gently

Very true. Although lemon oil can be very good for your neck time to time, it is bad to do it too much.. Ruins your neck eventually. I put it on my one guitar 1nce a year - just to give it some life. I do wipe my neck time to time, that keeps it clean. The oils from my hands usually keep my neck looking and feeling nice. Some guitars you have to put lemon oil on more - I just do it when it is dry looking (usually when winter rolls around)

Also - you don't need to buy lemon oil from a guitar store. You can just use stuff from a hardware store - it is the exact same thing and you get a lot more for a lot cheaper. Just don't accidently put lemon juice on it..
Quote by Bill43
Remove your strings and just a paper towel, lemon oil and some good rubbing of the oily paper towel should get all the gunk off your fretboard. You can buy a good few years worth of lemon oil at your local hardware store (or sometimes you can find it at a supermarket with the other polishes and wood care products) cheaper than you can at a guitar store.

There's no "secret" to it at all. The lemon oil is mostly mineral spirits and some lemon "sqeezings". It will dissolve all that gunk and your paper towel will pick it up.

If its really grimey... just rub it down a few times until its all gone. That might mean to clean certain areas more than others... say a spot that''s really caked with it. You'll just go over that area, rubbing it until its gone. It shouldn't take more than 2 paper towels.

Take the paper towel and fold it in half... then fold that in half... then taht in half and that folded part gets folded in half one more time... until you've got it folded into roughly a bit smaller than a normal playing card. Pour some oil on a leading edge of the towel and wipe the fretboard down.

When you're finished cleaning it, let it sit for a couple of minutes and remove any excess oil by wiping it down with a dry paper towel.

-SD
You don't want to do it too often as it can seep in under the frets and cause them to loosen and raise up. I do it about once a year and I use the steel wool to polish my frets when I do it. I don't use steel wool on the fingerboard.