I'm new to playing so I just have a Squier Strat Pack with a Frontman 15R amp. I'm looking to upgrade and it looks like the best place to start is the amp. Everyone tells me that a tube amp is the way to go. I'm looking for something that will have enough power to play with a group and potentially do some small gigs down the line. I play classic rock and grunge. Everything from George Thorougood to Green Day and Nirvana. My price range is flexible. Obviously cheap is better, but I'm willing to pay what it takes to get quality that will last me. I don't have a real good reference point on what things cost, so I'm looking for suggestions. I'll probably keep my little Frontman for portability and practice, so it can be a little bigger as I probably won't move it around too much.

Suggestions?
Cheap - Roland Cube

More money - Peavey XXX Super 40

Just depends on your budget...
a line 6 30 watt amp is very good they come with their own lil effects..plus they have good resale value...even the 15 watt thing is loud! jesus i mean i couldnt believe how loud they were...otherwise get a marshall man
Quote by Muphin
Jupiter is a fat bitch. We should nuke it.

jersey girls arent trash ...trash gets picked up
staten island doesnt really exist its just a reflection of the fumes from jersey on the water caused by the movement of the sun
noooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't buy a line6 spider....

They're awful! The roland cube is the same price and 10 times better..

Take a look at the Cube 60 or 30
Marshall MG series, kick ass. Or maybe a mesa rectifier, but it won't really matter, marshall equals mesa ...
oh no.. now someone is recommending marshall mg's.. jesus..

Line6 spider or Marshall MG = big no no. Anyone with ears will tell you that.

The Roland Cube and Vox ADVT series are both amazing for the price.

If you can afford a 40w tube combo.. then it's either the Marshall DSL 401 or Peavey XXX combo
Quote by Pieter-Jan
Marshall MG series, kick ass. Or maybe a mesa rectifier, but it won't really matter, marshall equals mesa ...

I hope that was sarcastic.

Out of solid states, I'd recommend Hughes and Kettner. Some have a really good tone. Fenders are ok, but they won't suit everyone's preferences.

If you wanna be sure you're getting a lot of tone for less money, I'd go for the previously mentioned Roland Cube or Vox Valvestate.
Vox valvestate? that doesn't even exist, but yeah vox valvetronix are good amps for your first 2 years of guitar playin'
^I think that's what he meant.

I owned an MG as my first amp... not because I bought it but because it was a gift from my grandfather, and the guy at the store was probably trying to unload it so he told my grandfather how great it was. It wasn't. Stay away from MGs.

While you're at it stay away from Line 6 Spider IIs.... I had to play a few gigs with one and dare I say I liked my MG more than that peice of ****.

If I had to start over again I'd definately go for the Roland Cube, Vox Valvetronix, or even a Randall RG3.... they're not bad amps either.
Gear:
Fender Standard Telecaster (Sunburst Finish)
Washburn X-Series Electric (Black Finish)
Ibanez Electric-Acoustic (Black Finish)
Ariana Acoustic

Randall RX120D Halfstack
Ok, several are saying the Valvetronix is a good amp. This is a solid state amp isn't it? Am I going to want a tube? Again, at this point it probably doesn't matter, but I figure that i might as well get one that will last.
Both the Roland and the Vox..... and the Randall I mentioned are all Solid State amps.

However, it's in most people's experience that these SS amps are the best sounding at a great price. They're great amps for beginners to intermediate players. And they're modelling amps, so you have a variety of sounds and effects that you can learn and experiment with.

If you want a tube amp.... you'd probably want a 30 watt or up combo. As for which..... well, I'm not very good with this stuff.... hopefully somebody else can help you.
Gear:
Fender Standard Telecaster (Sunburst Finish)
Washburn X-Series Electric (Black Finish)
Ibanez Electric-Acoustic (Black Finish)
Ariana Acoustic

Randall RX120D Halfstack
Classic rock and grunge were predominantly done with Marshall tubes, usually the JCM800.

We're going to need a really solid price range, because what I would suggest, a Traynor, are in the close price range of a used JCM800.
Well, i've just started looking and I'm not sure what I'm looking for. I had expected to pay $500-700. Cheaper is better so if I can get a great amp for $300, then that would be great, but if I'm going to get something that will need to be replaced in a hurry and I'm getting good value at $800-900 and it will last me forever, then so be it.

I'm not on a rockstar budget, but I'm of the belief that buying good equipment once is better than buying a bunch of cheap crap.
Vox Valvetronix or Roland Cube, but depends what you want to play.

But if you want to spend more for a better quality amp, then I'll suggest you get a decent valve combo, or a used valve combo.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by Pieter-Jan

LOL
Try a Marshall MG100HDFX/MG412 slant cab half stack. Its what i used when i first started it was alright for 600 bucks it was gig ready.
^You're an idiot.
Don't try an MG halfstack, and it's not a starter amp (although the sound is like one....Ooooooooooo.......burn)
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by R_H_C_P
^You're an idiot.
Don't try an MG halfstack, and it's not a starter amp (although the sound is like one....Ooooooooooo.......burn)

lol..

I recommend a Marshall JCM900 goin into a Marshall 1960A cabinet.

But in all seriousness... *loses attention and walks to a different thread*