my band has been trying to get a gig, and we knew there are some local shows that go on at a local community center every week so we went to one of them to see what it was like. unfortunately we got there and it was all emo and screaming and basically just crap. we play music that is a combination of jack johnson's style and the foo fighters so we dont belong with the local scene. Does anyone have an idea for how we could play a gig?
Play your regular style of music, it'll be a fresh style for the people who go and the organisers will probably appreciate it. And if anyone complains, ignore them.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Yes, I say go back to the community center. My area is the same way where if you aren't one a certian show, people won't know about you and the shows combind emo, screamo, death metal, Grind Comedy, etc.

Start learning some covers so you can get some real gigs also.
I was once heavily prominent on these forums from 2004-2007, let's see how long I can stay now that I'm back.
Quote by timi_hendrix
Play your regular style of music, it'll be a fresh style for the people who go and the organisers will probably appreciate it. And if anyone complains, ignore them.

thats what i was thinking but for some reason my guitarist thinks we'll just get mugged or something
Few people who go to weekly things like that really care enough to make a real big deal about it. I'd go back, and you'll get noticed more then everyone else for sounding more unique. I've seen the same happen a couple times, and eventually the "different" band ends up getting just as much applause as the regular stuff after you do it once or twice. Hint: Don't take things too personally and just play it cool. If you get all worked up, the audience is less likely to accept you.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
just play there, my band, an acoustic alternative band plays with hardcore/metal/screamo bands all the time, mostly because they are our friends and stuff, it doesnt really matter, escpecially because the local scene is small around here. but wahtever.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Takamine G340SC
Epiphone G 310