...would be best for metal? im looking for a stack to play with my band...i just got myself a job so i plan on saving for one. thanks
Nicks and dents are battle scars...they give a guitar history.

Quote by Homer Simpson
When you think about it, mud is just wet dirt.
^NO!!!!!!!!!!

MG's suck'

Well check for an all tube Marshall, such as a JCM800 or JCM900, but remeber you won't need a stack. A head with a 212, a 212 or even a 112 is enough!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Dont get an MG stack no matter what anyone tells you. ACtually, any stack is kinda pointless unless you're going to use it to its full potential. A 50 watt tube combo will be plenty of power for medium sized gigs, and will be alot easier to haul around.
Check out the Marshall JCM 800's. Incredible amps.
My Gear:
American Deluxe HSS Strat
Crate GT212
Vintage '66 Fender Champ Amp
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Jekyll & Hyde Ultimate Overdrive
Vintage '74 MXR Script Phase 90
Vintage '77 MXR Flanger
Orange Squeezer (clone)
A stack is not only about power, the low end you get with a decent cab is really worth the extra money. Get a jcm 800 with a good overdrive pedal. OR a marshall mg.
^If you say Marshall MG once more ill report you or something!
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Don't Marshall MG's suck ass?
I've never tried one but that seems to be the consensus here.
They do.... that guy has been in alot of threads saying they're good though..... just someone trying to get kicks.

A stack is over kill, trust me, I have one. And that's why I'm currently in pursuit of a new amp (hence my other thread). I'd suggest looking for a Tube combo with say... 40 or more watts. That should be just dandy for a band situation. As for which one.... I have no idea.... I can't even figure that out for myself.

Why does it have to be a Marshall? There are plenty of other great brands on the market.
Gear:
Fender Standard Telecaster (Sunburst Finish)
Washburn X-Series Electric (Black Finish)
Ibanez Electric-Acoustic (Black Finish)
Ariana Acoustic

Randall RX120D Halfstack
I recommend ENGL screamer, 50watts of sweet tones. With it's 4 channels it's got everything you will ever need to rock! It's built like a tank too, so you won't have trouble loading it into your car when you want to play in a band. The cleans AND the distortion sound is totally awesome. Its also got reverb, it's probably the only effect that really need to be built in the amp to sound good. You can also get a seperate footswitch if you want to go gigging alot.
Unless you are totally set on Marshall there are amps far better suited to metal. Such as Peavey 5150, Mesa Dual Rec and many more. Depends on your budget. You should get out and try some.
Quote by Pieter-Jan
I recommend ENGL screamer,

So, why have you been comparing an MG with one of these engl's? Its like choosing between **** and ice cream, which one would you eat? I would take the ice cream thanks, clearly you would rather have the **** of ****s .... diarrhea. And do you know what diarrhea means?
"Excessive and frequent evacuation of watery feces, usually indicating gastrointestinal distress or disorder."
Guess what? Thats exactly what an MG sounds like
Gear
PRS Standard SE
Laney GH100L with Marhsall 1960BV
Digitech Bad monkey
Marshall EH1
EHX Small stone
EHX Small clone
the reason i ask about marshall is because ive heard that they are very reliable and great for metal...however, if there are better brands for this, by all means let me know
Nicks and dents are battle scars...they give a guitar history.

Quote by Homer Simpson
When you think about it, mud is just wet dirt.
Quote by StuC
So, why have you been comparing an MG with one of these engl's? Its like choosing between **** and ice cream, which one would you eat? I would take the ice cream thanks, clearly you would rather have the **** of ****s .... diarrhea. And do you know what diarrhea means?
"Excessive and frequent evacuation of watery feces, usually indicating gastrointestinal distress or disorder."
Guess what? Thats exactly what an MG sounds like

I think he's deaf, everything sounds the same to him (equals nothing)
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by flesh fries
the reason i ask about marshall is because ive heard that they are very reliable and great for metal...however, if there are better brands for this, by all means let me know

The kranks arent bad, but alot of people are gonna disagree with me there. There good for really high gain stuff.
The JCM 800's are prettey decent for metal, but it depends what sort of metal you play (Suited perticually well for 80's thrash, hair ect). If you play modern metal, peaveys, laneys, ibanez, mesa, genz benz ......... krank, but i dont recomend them even though I like them
Gear
PRS Standard SE
Laney GH100L with Marhsall 1960BV
Digitech Bad monkey
Marshall EH1
EHX Small stone
EHX Small clone
Last edited by StuC at Aug 22, 2006,
You could try the Laney GH100 head. Supposed to be pretty good as well.
You could try a Mesa Rectifier which is great but really expensive or you could make a rack setup?

Loads of stuff out there go out and try some out.