Hey. I recently bought a Ibanez S470DXQM and I love it. Gonna change pickups, but that's an another issue.

After weeks of playing the Ibanez, I notice when I pick the 3rd string (especially on the 7th, 8th and 9th fret) there is some kind of strange noise. It's not fret buzz and it get even worse if I pick the string hard. I have 2 electric guitars and both of them have this "buzz" problem. Any suggestions on how to fix this? It's really annoying.

I have tested my new guitar on two amps. A POD 2.0 and a VOX AD30VT. When I tested my guitar with the POD, the noise was barely noticeable. On the other hand, the AD30VT almost "pinpointed" the buzz.
this happened on my old electric, try replacing the string, if it continues ask a shop.
Ok firstly, most Ibanezes are setup with low action from the factory with minimal buzzing. If you spot a buzz, its probably coz you're striking the string too hard to make the sound noticable, try cranking up the amp to a comfortable volume and strike it again while fretting it properly.

If you still encounter some buzz, just raise the action a bit.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
I have tried two string pairs ( 0.10 and 0.09) And both of them makes that natural noise. I tried to go easy on the g-string, but it still buzzes. I tried to raise the action, still buzzing.
Check your neck relief and see whether its proper, you might need to adjust our truss rod.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
unplug the guitar and shake it. listen for a loose part.

that's just in case its not fretbuzz.

also, strum then touch the bridge. see if it lessens the noise.
it may be more noticable thru one amp because its a better amp, and is picking up all the little nuances.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Mine did that but i just changed the strings and cranked up the gain and it sounded good. if your ibanez has a floyd rose try loosening the nut lock thingy
"im not going to call somebody a dwarf unless they have direct possesion of a battle-axe."

"curiosity killed your mom!"
I tried to loosen the string lockers, but it did not help.
I also tried shaking it, didn't notice any noise.
It did not help to touch the bridge, the noise did not disappear.

But the truss rod thing may be the clue. I will go to the shop where I bought the guitar and ask them to set the truss rod. I don't want to mess around with it.
If they charge you ridiculously, you're better doing it yourself, you gotta learn it someday somehow.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Just out of interest in regard to the post by madpick what should you expect to pay for a decent set up? I payed £21 what should you expect to pay?
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
It could be a low/worn fret problem in that area. Take a short strait edge and place it across 3 frets in the problem area. First check fret 7 by resting the strait edge across frets 6 7 and 8. If the 7th fret is the problem, you'll be able to see that the fret is lower and does not touch the strait edge. Also, if you're able to rock the strait edge back and forth over fret 7, then either fret 6 is too low or fret 8 is too low, or fret 7 has lifted out of the fret slot. Keep moving up a fret at a time to see if any of the frets are lower than the two frets on either side. If you spot any high/low frets, or even frets that are low just in one spot, then it's really not anything you can fix and you're going to have to take the guitar to a tech. But checking the frets like I've just told you would be in your best interest just in case you have to take it to a tech so you don't get ripped.
Quote by Cal UK
Just out of interest in regard to the post by madpick what should you expect to pay for a decent set up? I payed £21 what should you expect to pay?

It depends, actually, once you know how to properly set up a guitar, its not that hard, just a little time consuming and needs a tidy bit of patience. Sure if i set up your guitar i'll charge you for about that kinda price range, $40-60 (depends on what i have to do) just to get the extra cash. There are "some" (very little) stores however, who just rip you off completely, this you have to watch out, as they pretend that your guitar have really big issues and have to go for complete setup, where the actual problem is just the action...

IMHO, $30-40 or so should be enough for a complete setup, action, neck relief, bridge, strings (have to add purchase price if new), cavity. Full maintenance, cleanups and electronics repotting however are different case, this might cost more. There are some kind technicians at stores who are willing to give free advice/lessons/tips or better yet free adjustment, but hard to find.

You could probably save that $30 or more cash by learning to do yourself, after all, its your guitar.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Last edited by madpickin03 at Aug 22, 2006,
if its the russ rod it just means the neck bend is off and that the strings are touching the frets.
im confused cause at first u said it's not fretbuzz.

did i miss something?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
reading the 1st post again, he really said its not fretbuzz , i thought he did...

Hmmm, 1st guitar i guess
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
OK I paid about that I guess. And on topic I have no idea whats wrong with your guitar.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
I don't get charged for it I believe. I think the fret problem is covered by the music shop because of their policy. It is a small shop that has a good service reputation.
So have you taken it there yet? if so what seems to be the problem?
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
just a shot in the dark (sorry if it's already been mentioned), but could it be that the string is vibrating above the nut and that the string is not wrapped around tight enough or hasnt been cut off?
Ibanez RG321MH - Weathered Black with an SD Invader in the bridge
Orange Crush 10 watt