Okay, what would the pros and cons of each possibility below be?

1- S470DXQM + new p'ups

2- RG2550E

3- RG1570 + new p'ups

thanks everyone
Pros
- All three have good and reliable trem
- Very good quality for the RG Prestige, MIJ
- The ZR trem have different feel as it uses ball bearings instead of knife edges
- RG Prestige's neck is 1mm thinner than the Wizard II on the S470 (preference, might be cons too)

Cons
- The ZR might not have as much range as the Edge Pro on the RGs
- The S470 is MIK, doesnt have the same quality as MIJ guitars but still, the quality is very good
- RG2550 is mroe expensive than the RG1570 only because added pickguard, pickups and different color
- RG2550E pickups isnt also the greatest as its not 100% DiMarzio, but still can get the job done
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Last edited by madpickin03 at Aug 22, 2006,
You're payingfor the RG2550E's looks rather than better quality, it still has poor pickups. Unless you really can't stand the RG1570's looks I'd get that. The S470s are nice, but the RGs are better IMO. The ZR trem has a smaller range than the Edge pro on the RG models.

EDIT: The S470 is mahogany (I think) and the RGs are basswood, too.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Those RGs don't really have any cons.

In comparison with Edge Pro, ZR is easier to intonate, adjust, restring, and tune. It's stiffer, has a uniform action, built-in intonation tool, and a backstop. Quite the hardware package for the price. The cons of the S series is that if you're used to bigger bodies (even the same RG), S will feel very awkward until you get used to it. A huge advantage of the S is, of course, its price. For the difference between S470 and RG2550, you can get some boutique pickups and a supply of picks to last a lifetime.

As a bottom line, I'd go for the S if I were after a metal guitar that will feel equally comfortable for lead and rhythm, and I'd go for the RG if I wanted a shred instrument (not that RG can't do other things, but it definitely excels at that one).
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
ok, thanks everyone, sorry to throw another idea into the pot so late, but i also thought of an epiphone sg 400 deluxe then some new p'ups, with it's neck sanded down, how do you feel that'd compare to the other eotins already mentioned? bearing in mind that the SG is a fair bit cheaper (2550-570quid, 1570-450quid, s470dxqm-500quid and the SG- 300) thanks again
Even if you sand down the neck, which i wouldnt want to do, you're just making it smooth, its still thicker than the Wizard II or Wizard Prestige neck. You gotta try out which are the ones you'd prefer. Thinner neck doesnt always mean that its better, it will be a pain to someone that's not comfortable to it. In this case its preference.

Also, Ibanez necks arent naked wood, its actually coated with a thin layer of lacquer for protection. If you sand down your SG to the point that the bare wood is showing, thats not good, if it encounters with water/moisture, then your neck will be screwed due time. Twisted, crack, mold, all sorts of things.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Last edited by madpickin03 at Aug 22, 2006,
yeah, i know, but i, well actually, i don't really have any good reason to have mentioned it, but i'd sand it down as i personally really dislike the finish on painted necks, i was more looking for opinions as to how good a guitar the SG is, and how it would compare to the ibanez's. i have tried all the mentioned guitars except the 2550, and liked them similarly, although i wasn't too fond of the 1570s sound, but it was into an MG marshall, whereas the others were tried into a hughes and kettner stack so the amp could've been the culprit.
Its the MG, hughes and kettner stack will pwn that MG (SS combo?). And the RG2550 feels EXACTLY like the RG1570, its just cosmetics and a little tone difference. If you really really like the SG, then get it but just be careful if you attempt to do what Zakk did on his SG, sand it down according to the wood grain and evenly throughout the whole neck, not just concentrating on 1 area and moving along.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
SS? sorry, it was a switchblade head, not too sure what cab it was into though, i know i could be asking a question that only i could really answer myself, but if i was to buy the SG would i end up wanting a new guitar after 6 months to a year? which i have previously been a very bad culprit for, and by the same token would the RG be more likely to last?
RG Prestige will last very very long, im not sure about the SG but overall, its still a good guitar. The main question remains, do you really need a tremolo? If not, then you're better with an SG but if you do, then the Prestige is the best. Im not too fond of SGs as i really think that its too overpriced, sure the twin cut and the design is brilliant but still is expensive. If i even bought this guitar i'd just leave it as it is, never know in the future it could be a goldmine
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Wait wait... S470 is fifty pounds more expensive than RG1570? Are you sure you got your numbers right?
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
ok, thanks a lot, i'll try and convince myself one way or another, seeing as i like both a lot, thanks again.
what a bump
GEAR:
Epiphone special II
Ibanez RG570
Yamaha C-40
Roland Cube 30
ENGL Fucking Fireball
Framus 2x12 W/V30's

T3H HAMMER
S-470 ftw really you cant go rong, stick some new pups in if you feel you have to but the stocks arent bad i use em and have done for a year and a half, they are dimazio designed yunno so theyre not shit by any stretch.

and you can get it alot cheaper than 500 quid btw

good luck tho as most ibanez are really good no matter wat model as theyre all pretty similar IMO

Gibson SG (Heavily modded)
Fender USA Strat
Hohner 12 String-uber rare

Fender Silverface Twin

EHX Big Muff
Digitech badmonkey overdrive
Boss DS-1
Blackstar Distortion X
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez Delay
Digitech Whammy
Quote by madpickin03

Cons
- The ZR might not have as much range as the Edge Pro on the RGs

meaning? sorry if u find this question stupid. -.-

Quote by pifty

As a bottom line, I'd go for the S if I were after a metal guitar that will feel equally comfortable for lead and rhythm, and I'd go for the RG if I wanted a shred instrument (not that RG can't do other things, but it definitely excels at that one).

can tell me difference between lead n shred?

thnx
Quote by JackFlash19
A musician will work through bad gigs, rough relationships with bandmates, disagreements, and the like to further the success of the band.
If it have to be new, then the RG1570 would be good if you don't mind the color.

I would just jump on to Ebay and check out the older RG570 series for different colors and for less cost.