Whenever I play guitar I get a pain in my wrist fingers, and elbow. This used to only happen WHen playing fast lead(fast for me anyways) and I would just avoid playing complicated music, but I was getting tired of simple music. and tried learning a Children of Bodom song that I tried to learn awhile ago but couldn't because of pain. and the pain is back and worse than ever. I'm trying to improve my hand/wrist position, but it still doesn't help. and the pain lingers after playing guitar for as long as half an hour.

What should I do? I have no money and I can't get a guitar teacher to show me the proper way to play or see a physician to see whats wrong.
How long have you been playing?
Im not sorry that i cant be like the rest of you.....
Do you ever stretch and massage your hand before and after practicing. I know it sounds funny and I never believed it would help untill I watched Jon Petrucci's instruction video and I started doing it and I could polay faster and longer without getting any pain or stiffness. If you have carpel tunnel then you do need to see a doctor.
maybe you should see what happens if you rest your arm for a week without playing and streaching regularly, just playing looser don't stiffen your arm so much, should see a doctor if ti's really bad
Quote by randyrhoads#1
Do you ever stretch and massage your hand before and after practicing. I know it sounds funny and I never believed it would help untill I watched Jon Petrucci's instruction video and I started doing it and I could polay faster and longer without getting any pain or stiffness. If you have carpel tunnel then you do need to see a doctor.

yeah same. you should check out rock discipline with john petrucci, he gives you some warmups to do that really help.
I've been playing for about 1 and a half years.

I don't do any kind of warmups/stetches. What kind of stetches could I do?

I'll try stopping guitar for a while and see if it gets better. about how much would it cost to have a physician check out my wrist?

EDIT: argg. I'm already getting an urge to play guitar, but I know it'll only be doing damage. I hate this.
Last edited by doggy_hat at Aug 22, 2006,
Go see a doctor. Sorry to sound bossy but I should add: now! If you have caused damage and are getting carpel tunnel or repetitive strain injury then you want to find out sooner, not later. If you catch it early your doctor can teach you stretches and exercises to repair the damage and everything with be fine. If you ignore it too long the damage may become permanent and you'll never play guitar again. Here's a site with some good advice and links for the stretches you're looking for. http://guitar.about.com/od/beginners/a/rsi_guitar.htm Oh, and other advice: go see a doctor.
that stuff isn't fun go to the doc man that can ruin it all. how old r u? most people i hear getting it r old
^^^I'm only 14, which makes it worse because my body isn't even done developing and I'm allready causing damage to my wrist.

I'll ask my mom if I can visit the doctor. Will I need to see a physician, or could I see the same doctor I see when I become ill?

I just listened to Mr. Crowley by Ozzy, that solo makes me want to play guitar so bad.
Quote by doggy_hat
^^^I'm only 14, which makes it worse because my body isn't even done developing and I'm allready causing damage to my wrist.

I'll ask my mom if I can visit the doctor. Will I need to see a physician, or could I see the same doctor I see when I become ill?

I just listened to Mr. Crowley by Ozzy, that solo makes me want to play guitar so bad.

they could probably refer you to who you need to go to.
I think I know what's messed up with my guitar playing.

After going 3 days without playing, I was doing some off those warmups off of countrytabs, and examining my posture and wrist carefully. And I noticed that everytime I play with my pinky, the right side of my lower hand palm/wrist wrinkles up and tenses alot. Unlike my other fingers, my pinky doesn't act independently when I play. I pretty sure this is why my wrist hurts.

I asked my mom if she would let me see a doctor, and she said that since it isn't broken, there's nothing wrong with my wrist. I'm going to have to get a job now.
Last edited by doggy_hat at Aug 25, 2006,