Poll: I'm about to buy one of these and I just dont know :P 2 completely different guitars
Poll Options
View poll results: I'm about to buy one of these and I just dont know :P 2 completely different guitars
Ibanez RG 2620
22 44%
Gibson SG Standard
28 56%
Voters: 50.
I'd go with the SG because I've never played that Ibanez.

But for all I know that Ibanez could b the best guitar in the world. Anyway, SG's are amazing guitars.
can't go wrong with either really. I own an Ibanez and an SG, they have 2 different feels so you really have to play them.
Gibson SG Special Ebony
Epiphone Sheraton w/ Seymour Duncan JB and SH-1 '59
Fender 1985 Made in Japan Stratocaster
Ibanez S470 DXQM Charcoal Brown
Simon Patrick CW Spruce Top Acoustic
hmm ok, you ive played the SG, yet to play the RG but whats the difference between the old prestiges and the new ones?
Aside from the cosmetics, difference between old prestiges and the new ones:
- Bridges (before 2003, they're fitted with lo-pro edge, after 2003 they're fitted with edge pro)
- Neck (most of the old prestiges have 3pc. maple/bubinga, new one have 5pc. maple/walnut/wenge)
- Pickups (some are still using the old Vintage pickups, V7,S1,V8, newer ones may have been upgraded a slightly bit with collaboration with DiMarzio, "IBZ/Dimarzio" pickup
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
What you should do is play them (if you haven't), and if you have, play them again and see which one you like best, there. Buy that one.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
yeah i know thank you, but does the difference in the old or new prestige realy influence the playability a lot?
not really at all, but maybe the newer ones are very slightly upgraded. I love the lo-pro edge, and the pickups are kind of stared at by DiMarzio for 2 seconds and called "IBZ/DiMarzio". SO no not really.
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
Quote by Esparcia
yeah i know thank you, but does the difference in the old or new prestige realy influence the playability a lot?

If you're comparing a 2nd hand old prestige (depends on its condition) with a new prestige, then yes they have difference coz the neck,frets,bridge are used depending on the previous user. But hand in hand, if you compare both as if they were new, there arent much different in playability, only that the feel of the trem might be different, but both have lower action then the Edge/OFR.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
ohh i see, can anyone give me the neck dimensions of the old 2620? because somebody told me that its slichtly wider, and that you can feel that with your picking hand while playing
ohh and do you have to clip off the ends from the strings with the old 2620's trem? not that its realy important, just curious, cant find **** about the old one (and yeah its about new guitars madpickin03 )
Yes you have to cut 'em, the Lo-Pro Edge doesnt have ball bearing lockers as opposed to the newer Edge Pro. Another advantage of the older Lo-Pro Edge, is that it has a locking stud installed in them to provide no-slippage of the trem posts.

If you want this stud mod in your brand new RG1570, contact Rich from Ibanezrules.com or just simply purchase an RG from him, he'll charge about $35 i think. Personally, i dont think that its a big of a problem and IMHO, its quite a hassle to unlock it and lock it back just to adjust the action a few cents.

About the neck, i think they're the same, they still use the Wizard Prestige back then and they still use it now. The Super Wizard however are used in RG5xx/RG7xx models.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
no-slippage of the trem posts? what do you mean? sorry my english isnt that good :P well at least my guitar terms in english arnt xD
I've played one RG 2620, and two gibson SG standards. The RG beat the living crap out of the gibsons as far as playability is concerned. Sound, however... I don't like either. Im a les paul man myself. I'd say the RG is better suited for metal, while the SG is better for rock, though.
Well, just to be like everyone else, here's my rig:

Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Washburn J28SDL

Mesa/Boogie F-50 Combo
Quote by Esparcia
no-slippage of the trem posts? what do you mean? sorry my english isnt that good :P well at least my guitar terms in english arnt xD

You know the posts where you adjust the action, and where the knife edges are, the older ones have tiny allen screw inside em for locking purpose. Its just to let the posts stay in its position and wont somehow magically turn. IMHO, its not much of a difference as trem posts seldomly twist by their own.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Personally I'd go for the Gibson SG because it has more tone and I love the neck, but the Ibanez has a tremolo and if you need that........
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
LOL sorry man i still dont get it :P about the trem xD dont know all the terms.. but if it doenst matter much its ok i suppose, hehe
ts do you know how to use a floyd rose? do you know how to set up a floyd rose? how much will you be using a floyd rose? what music do you play? what amp do you use?
GS is probably built better...I dunno never played an RG
My Arsenal

ESP EC-1000 Vintage Honey Burst
Fender Starcaster
Fender Princeton Chorus DSP
You'll get a lot more versatility with the SG over the Ibanez. If you want nicer cleans and a big range of styles (assuming you have the right amp), the SG is a must. Go for the Ibanez only if you'll be playing metal and only metal.
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail
Ibanez - always, doesn't metter what model or year (well - more than 5** of course :-)
hey my dads friend is giving me a gibson sg special 1967, is this thing worth alot?