I have a Fender American Stratocaster Highway 1 Model and am considering getting a new pickup put in. Heres my question which pickup should I replace or does it matter which one? Another question is what pickup do I need I play Rock with lots of distortion mostly punk like lagwagon and No use for a name. The probelm I'm having now is a bad hum and crackle from my amp at high volume and gain, so I want something with great distortion tone and will get rid of the hum. So any suggestion would be great, thanks. One more thing I almost forgot dont worry about how much any price.

I also have a couple question I'd like to ask, Can I put Humbucker pickups in a guitar that originally had single coils? What is so special about humbucker pickups do they really eliminate the hum? What is a seven string pickup?
What do you guys think about these pickups?
http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/document?doc_id=98636&g=guitar&sku=302000
Last edited by Osiris77 at Aug 25, 2006,
New amp will do loads more than a pick-up will.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
Quote by Funkbass796
New amp will do loads more than a pick-up will.

I know but If I do get a new amp I would get a DSL 50 head with a 1960a cab and I just dont have that kinda money right now.
Personally i'd just save up for the amp.

Things to come:
A hot rail... or maybe do what they said, save up for a better amp...
Mail Goes here.

Musician for 14 years. Been inactive on UG since 2007. My have times changed. It's good to be back.
Quote by SGKIDD
A hot rail... or maybe do what they said, save up for a better amp...

thats looks pretty good.
a new amp wont be usuing its full potential if you have single coils and youre looking to play punk or rock
get pickups, theyre a cheap upgrade
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
Quote by danzig-_-
a new amp wont be usuing its full potential if you have single coils and youre looking to play punk or rock
get pickups, theyre a cheap upgrade

Wrong Wrong Wrong.

Some of the best early punk rock guitarists used single coil pickups in their guitars as well as rock players.some single coil users... , Clapton, Beck, Hendrix, Brian May, Hammet, billie joe, zacky from avenge used a strat on his recordings, Kenny wayne shepherd, tom delonge, blondie, early ramones, pete townshend used p-90's which are single coils, joe walshbreaking benjamin rythme guarist uses a tele with stock pups both single coils. to say single coils arent going to use the amps full potential is the most ridiculouse thing i have ever heard... right next to they arent a good punk rock pickup....

Now a single coil can be abdass pup, getting a new amp is a good idea if you paln to play live and if you want to make an upgrade a better amp is first...

Dont listen to this guy... he knows not what he is saying...
Mail Goes here.

Musician for 14 years. Been inactive on UG since 2007. My have times changed. It's good to be back.
ok well right now I have a line 6 flextone 3 150 watt which is good enough to play live until I can afford a $2,000 tube amp so if I have single coil pickups right now can I change them to humbuckers, and what pickups should I get anyway?
u just need one bridge humbucker. and to see if itll fit, u need to look under the guard.

hot rails sound like hot singles not full sized humbuckers.

u can get rails or stacked in the neck, and then a full sized H in the bridge.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
You can't change them to regular humbuckers, because they won't fit, unless there is someway that you can make them fit, which I am unaware of. You may be able to go with a minibucker at best, however I am not sure of this at all.

Things to come:
actually i think its HSH routing.

if thats ur guitar under features, bottom, it says HSH routing.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/document?doc_id=90144&g=home&src=3SOSWXXA

means ud have to just cut or replace the guard for hss
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Last edited by jj1565 at Aug 25, 2006,
How much will it cost for a place like guitar center to put one in for me, because i really have no idea what to do.
ahh, about $70 for the humbucker.
$20 for the guard, and about $50 for labor.

and its not going to be a HUGE difference compared to a new amp. im not pushing the new amp thing. im just letting u know.
some guys change pups and think itll be the biggest deal ever. but actually a new effects box will usually do more.

also, i know single coils hum. but not if they are shielded well.
also sometimes a bad guitar cord makes a ton of hum.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
actually i think its HSH routing.

if thats ur guitar under features, bottom, it says HSH routing.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/document?doc_id=90144&g=home&src=3SOSWXXA

means ud have to just cut or replace the guard for hss

yeah thats it except mine is wood finish, so does that mean a humbucker will fit and why are humbuckers better thatn single coil anyway?
yeah it's probably HSH, i mean says its featured on highway strats.

well they arent "better" just different.
they run silent, have a fuller sound. not as much "quack" usually used for metal and hard rock.

make sure u read my other "edit" ^ and so u know u can also get silent single coils.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
yeah it's probably HSH, i mean says its featured on highway strats.

well they arent "better" just different.
they run silent, have a fuller sound. not as much "quack" usually used for metal and hard rock.

make sure u read my other "edit" ^ and so u know u can also get silent single coils.

Ok thanks that what I'm looking for something with fuller good high gain sound any suggestions on what humbucker?

btw I'm pretty sure its not my cable, and are they hard to put in yourself?
Last edited by Osiris77 at Aug 25, 2006,
u would need to remove the strings.
take off the guard. (screws.)
the pickups and switch will still be attached to the guard.
(hopefully its got a humbucker sized cut out at the bridge.)
the two input wires will still be connected to the guitar and the guard.
ull want to deseolder those to take the guard all the way off.
u can take off the plastic knobs and unscrew the pots and unscrew the switch from the guard.
then u put them in the same order on the new HSS guard.
and follow the wires from the bridge pickup to the volume pot and the switch.

follow the instructions on which colored wires now go to tho volume pot and the switch.
solder them on.
screw on the humbucker to the new guard.

screw the guard back onto the guitar, restring and set up the bridge so its level again.

sorry if i missed a step. im tired.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62