At the moment ive got a zoom 606 pedal which i use for my distortion needs but to be honest it sounds very digital and doesnt produce a very good distortion tone. Im running it through a fender frontman 15 but im sure that buying a good distortion pedal would make a bigger difference than upgrading my amp. So can anyone suggest a good distortion pedal that can get megadeth/metallica/slayer/children of bodom tone? Thanks
Save for a new amp. You will only get a limited amount of meat through your amp. If you can't get a new amp try a Line 6 Uber Metal. It has three settings so with some fiddling you should get the sound you after.
My gear:

Gibson Gothic Flying V
Engl Screamer Combo
Maxon OD-9
Squier 10w amp
do like tubey said, or get a boss metal zone. that'll do you just fine
metal zone by boss is the ****!
Quote by MastaBassist10
Run around the city jacking off in random places... and when you cum, jump out at people and yell "SURPRISE!" Then walk away calmly as if nothing had happened. That's what I would do, anyway.

Quote by Unofficial
Jackusaureles, You're now my favorite UGer.
Quote by t3hrav3n
do like tubey said, or get a boss metal zone. that'll do you just fine

beat me to it
Quote by MastaBassist10
Run around the city jacking off in random places... and when you cum, jump out at people and yell "SURPRISE!" Then walk away calmly as if nothing had happened. That's what I would do, anyway.

Quote by Unofficial
Jackusaureles, You're now my favorite UGer.
proco rat's are good distortion pedals , i love em. they all have differnt sounds though (obviously) so try a few
gear4music indianapolis // Blackstar HT-1R Metal
krankenstein pedal
kfk 10 band eq
dd-14 dimebag distortion by mxr
Hold my breath
as I wish for death
Oh please god wake me
Only listen to the people who are telling you to buy a metal zone. They ****ing rock. I've had mine for 5+ years now and it still works perfectly after everything I've done to it.
Signatures are overrated.
digitech metal master and boss EQ, to get a real metal sound u will need the EQ to rip out the mids, chances are you're amp wont give u enough control over the tone dynamics to get the sound ure looking for without the EQ. But i would say u probs wont get a very good tone out of you're amp no matter how hard u try.
Last edited by Atreideslegend at Aug 22, 2006,
Quote by jackusaureles
metal zone by boss is the ****!

No no no no no.
No.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
^thank you..."metal zone by boss IS ****" is much more appropriate. BTW, buying a good distortion pedal WILL NOT make a bigger difference than upgrading your amp, but since you'll probably not be going that route, the metal zone will probably be OK...for now.
Usually pedals with "metal" on them suck scrotum. Hard. The MT-2 included. Save for a new amp man.
does a new amp make that much difference? especially in the 15 to 30 watt range?
Makes more of a difference then a pedal thats for damn sure. Essentially all a pedal is doing is imulating an amp.

Amps are the most important thing in your tone. Dont let anybody try and make you think otherwise. Everyone in the EG forum will tell you "oh its your guitarrrrrr" or "ooohh its all in your pickupsssss". No.

Sh1t guitar through an awesome amp=still good tone
awesome guitar through a sh1t amp=still sh1t tone
Quote by kurdtkobaign
Makes more of a difference then a pedal thats for damn sure. Essentially all a pedal is doing is imulating an amp.

Amps are the most important thing in your tone. Dont let anybody try and make you think otherwise. Everyone in the EG forum will tell you "oh its your guitarrrrrr" or "ooohh its all in your pickupsssss". No.

Sh1t guitar through an awesome amp=still good tone
awesome guitar through a sh1t amp=still sh1t tone

^Listen to this man
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Well, actually - the type of guitar and sort of pickups do make a difference. A guitar with single coils through a distorted amp will not produce the same sort of venom a guitar loaded with humbuckers will.

A good distortion pedal would help you get the sort of sounds you are after and is a cheaper option than getting a new amp.

As someone said earlier, a Proco Rat is a great little pedal - very versatile. Like others have already said, I'd recommend steering clear of the Metalzone - far too harsh sounding.

Don't be frightened aboutgoing and testing pedals either, always trust your own ears over other people's opinions - find a gutiar store and ask them to line up all their OD/Dist pedals for you to try!

I am a proud owner of one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dean-Markley-OVERLORD-Tube-Distortion-Overdrive-Pedal_W0QQitemZ230020086861QQcmdZViewItem

Amazing pedal, can do pretty much any tone - fuzz, OD, thrash the lot!
Last edited by tossom at Aug 23, 2006,
I suggest like CheeseMuffin, the Fab Overdrive, but you may find the Fab metal better. Check out some reviews for them both, and try them out in your store, they're cheap but awesome.
^You just made my day alot better.

Have my babies.
Hi.

I'm like..so cool

Quote by ?øXÍÇÍ?¥

Cheesemuffin > les paul

Runner Up for best guitarist...

Meh better than nothing
no just no and nirvana isnt metal
Quote by Danno13

Go cut your wrists or whatever it is you emo kids do for fun, I'm not helping you.

member of UG's gain \/\/hores- pmgpderek09 to join
That proves it. Nobody really thoroughly reads through peoples posts. Two in a row.

Refer to the bottom of my first post threadstarter.
Hi.

I'm like..so cool

Quote by ?øXÍÇÍ?¥

Cheesemuffin > les paul

Runner Up for best guitarist...

Meh better than nothing