I had a Hofner Verithin Bass for a few months now after buying one really cheap from a guy who lived in a caravan park. Its got some damage to it and I brought it really just to do it up and have an "older" instrument. Its the 269th one ever made and its from 1964. I seen a few of them go on Ebay for around £500 but they all been 1967+ basses so I'm wondering if mine is worth more regardless of damage? Its got the truss rod cover missing, a few decoration mother of peral missing on the headstock, slight damage to the neck binding on the side and one of the knobs has the paper bit on the top missing then the usual "vintage wear and tear"

Also, I was wondering if anyone has much of an opinion on any Hofner basses?
Quote by Fozzie3000
I had a Hofner Verithin Bass for a few months now after buying one really cheap from a guy who lived in a caravan park. Its got some damage to it and I brought it really just to do it up and have an "older" instrument. Its the 269th one ever made and its from 1964. I seen a few of them go on Ebay for around £500 but they all been 1967+ basses so I'm wondering if mine is worth more regardless of damage? Its got the truss rod cover missing, a few decoration mother of peral missing on the headstock, slight damage to the neck binding on the side and one of the knobs has the paper bit on the top missing then the usual "vintage wear and tear"

Also, I was wondering if anyone has much of an opinion on any Hofner basses?
Hofner Basses were even worse than Gibsons, they were just European El-cheapos, the Verithin series were just an attempt to look groovy.
I wouldn't spend too much although the Verithin is probably the most desirable Hofner.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
^Though I love Gibson basses, this man is right. The only reason everyone says they're so awesome is because Paul McCartney played/plays one, but that was only because he was literally broke when he started, in fact he didn't even play bass, the Beatles just needed a bass player. Now he only plays one on stage, and that's because Hofner pays him a shitload of money
I own an early 1970s Hofner 500/1 Beatle bass. Bought it used for $400, and love it. Sure, it is a fragie bass, but most semihollow and hollow (as in the case of this Hofner) basses are. It is also the lightrest bass I own--I own 9 basses. It is very comfortable for those long gigs, but it has a few setbacks:

1. It does feedback when it is too loud--it has great sustain capabilities though.
2. You can't slap and pop on this bass. It's not made for that.
3. For best tone, you have to play it with a pick.
4. Like a treasured violin or viola, it is completely hollow and fragile--so you can't mosh with it on or smek someone over the head with it and expect the fellow to be rendered unconscious.

But the tone it has is awesome and cannot be reproduced using a semihollow bass. It is warm, wooly and full of roundness. The Jay Tursers and Epiphones may have basses that look like the 500/1, but they sound totally different.

I like my Hofner for what it does. It is fun to play, and it makes me smile everytime I look at it. I do not use it for everything I do on bass, but it is a tool in my toolbox to be used for the vintage tone.
Jaco de Lucia.

The Zen of Duh: How low can you go? Zero Hertz. That's the lowest anyone can go. Just turn off your bass amp and not play.

Q-tuner PUs (0X0 configuration) and HG Thor Labs for the best fretless bass tone. MWAH FACTOR!!!
"I wouldn't spend too much although the Verithin is probably the most desirable Hofner."

When you say its the most desirable, is that before or after the Violin bass, I never seen anyone ever use or own a Verithin, are they rare or something? I don't know alot about Hofner.

I understand that you can't jump about with them, they do feedback alot, they generally are a pain in the ass to play and the neck feels like a broomstick but the tone is what made me buy it, its so warm and creamy!!
Quote by Fozzie3000
"I wouldn't spend too much although the Verithin is probably the most desirable Hofner."

When you say its the most desirable, is that before or after the Violin bass, I never seen anyone ever use or own a Verithin, are they rare or something? I don't know alot about Hofner.

I understand that you can't jump about with them, they do feedback alot, they generally are a pain in the ass to play and the neck feels like a broomstick but the tone is what made me buy it, its so warm and creamy!!

The Verithin was an attempt to get up to date and into the gibson 335 type of market, prior to that the Hofner guitars were typical 'Dance Band' guitars.
The Hofner Violin Bass was never highly regarded in the UK even during Beatlemania, most first time Bassists in the UK used Burns.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Dance Band? Name some bands or artists that you on about.

Yeah I gather that Burns would have been a more popular choice for 1st time uses, the Hofner is rather hard to play, its so light and the necks tend to fall off rather soon but mine still holds strong which must be rare.

How rare and desirable would you say a Verithin is?
Quote by Fozzie3000
Dance Band? Name some bands or artists that you on about.
How rare and desirable would you say a Verithin is?

In the UK it would be bands such 'Joe Loss', 'Ted Heath' in the US 'Glen Miller', Count Basie', 'The Dorseys' etc etc all from the 'Big Dance Band' era.
The Verithin is quite rare and as one of Hofners better instruments is quite desirable.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Thanks Mr Swift!

Would you reccommend that I restore some of the more woren parts, spend about £100 getting into really nice condition or should I just keep it as a vintage item and sell it on some time in the future as a good investment?
Quote by Fozzie3000
Thanks Mr Swift!

Would you reccommend that I restore some of the more woren parts, spend about £100 getting into really nice condition or should I just keep it as a vintage item and sell it on some time in the future as a good investment?
The more it is original the more valuable it is, if it needs new parts to keep it working so be it, but remember to always keep the old parts. If you do intend to keep it then it's up to you.
I've attached a shot of my old 1965 fender Jazz Bass to show you what I mean, it was all original when I sold a couple of years ago it so I got top price for it.
Attachments:
General 009bb.jpg
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Yeah, I have all the parts working, its not that the bass won't play, its just one bit missing and then just the vintage look. Nice bass btw^^ how come the bridge and pickup plates look so modern? you polish them?
Quote by Fozzie3000
Nice bass btw^^ how come the bridge and pickup plates look so modern? you polish them?
I took them off in 1975 had them, along with all the other fittings plated but never refitted the covers
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn