hey im a rock player but im getting bored of the basic pentatonic and bluesy soloing and i wanna get some different thing in to my playing anyone know links or can show me some fusion type techniques i notice eddie van halen used alot if it and i'd like to get that in to my playing.
Get used to playing in odd time signatures, maybe make a backing track in 7/4 or 9/8 something like that, its good practise for your phrasing and will sound a bit different to your normal playing.
Try listening to some fusion guitarist's and bands, you could try learning some fusion style songs or solos then you will certainly learn some techniques from it: mahavishnu orchestra or john mclaughlin is a good place to start.
Get into jazz.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
i had some jazz on my computer but it got deleted when my computer was getting fixed any suggestions for jazz player/songs to listen to.
well , if your an Eddie VanHalen fan , his favorite guitarist for years was Allan Holdsworth.

pretty much a fusion god.

also , check out Scott Henderson (tribal tech ) , Mike Stern , both play with more of a rock approach.
From another thread asking about pentatonics or something. Since you already know the pentatonic, why not apply it in different ways?

Quote by psychodelia
I have a lesson that regards the way a fusion player like Scott Henderson might use pentatonics.

You are probably noodling up and down the scale, which means your notes are all being played a second or minor third apart. You can begin altering your playing by using fourths and fifths instead.

The main problem with fourths is the difficulty in playing them quickly: they involve playing the same fret on consecutive strings. You will want to barre with your finger, but roll off the frets as you play them in order to keep notes from bleeding together.

Here are two licks using the A minor pentatonic scale. I'm just using the notes, you can decide on the rhythm for yourself.

This first involves fourths, and requires the rolling barre movement I described earlier.

-----------------8-5
---------------8----
---------5---7------
-------5---7--------
-----5--------------
-0h5----------------

And here is a descending fifths idea.

--------------------------------------------8-5-
-17-17-------15-15----13-13-----10-10---5-8-----
-------14-14-------12-------9-9-------7---------
------------------------------------------------

Hopefully this will keep you busy for a little while, enjoy

Let me know if this gives you any new ideas.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Hey does anyone know what effect Herman Li uses mostly on his guitar?
Learn some modes and experiment with playing different modes over a chords-progression.
Washburn X50 PROFE
Dean Custom 450
Morley PWA Pro Series Wah
Big Muff Rams head
Zoom G2
Ibanez Phase Tone
Randall RG75 G3

Tales of Ale: http://www.talesofale.com
Listen to Jeff Beck's Blow by Blow album. I haven't listened to it yet, but many rate it as one of the greatest instrumental fusion albums ever.
Quote by psychodelia
From another thread asking about pentatonics or something. Since you already know the pentatonic, why not apply it in different ways?

Let me know if this gives you any new ideas.

that's a really good point, i recently started to notice that in all my blues/rock soloing, i never have a gap greater than a minor third between two notes--i'm just going up and down scales, essentially. a well placed 4th or 5th jump can sound really cool. no wonder so many famous song melodies have those intervals. try other intervals, too--i wrote a pretty cool melody that has a major 7th jump in it, for instance.
Quote by rob1506

he uses Nintendo sounds
Quote by Tiamat
lol @ greenday becoming the social "norm" for being crap at guitar.
Quote by rob1506

He uses his enhancement pedal.

In response to your question about fusion tips, i dont know any
thats why i was reading this thread
then I noticed rob's question.
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

Modes... and theory.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
Quote by 6DgOfInTb
He uses his enhancement pedal.

In response to your question about fusion tips, i dont know any
thats why i was reading this thread
then I noticed rob's question.

i was very tempted to post that video...but i see someone beat me in mentioning it

'k go tell all your friends herman ri is cool!'
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
Now i show you pac-man soun.
so you can be coor, rike me.

[/spam]
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

instinct tells me a fair portion of jazz fusion is notated beforehand so i would say , try to learn to read and write the language of music