I just wanted to know if JJ Tubes are as good as they are all hyped up to be? I am going to change the tubes in my ValveKing 112 and was just wondering if these tubes are as good as people say they are.
I replaced the stck Ruby Red tubes in my El Diablo with JJs, and the difference was night and day. Seriously, it sounded like a totally new amp. And the tubes that were in the amp originally were new and good quality too, so that shoudl say somethign about it...
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Not really, there are much better combinations out there than all JJs. They do have their purpose though. Bob at Eurotubes is a prime definition of a "salesman".

Email Doug at Doug's tubes and he'll tell you the best combination of tubes for you amp. He knows his tubes like no other.
My ValveKing 112 came with 3 Electro-Harmonix 12AX7EH pre-amp tubes and 2 Sovtek 6L6WXT+ power-amp tubes and I don't like the way they sound at all.
Last edited by dre8686 at Aug 22, 2006,
I want to change them and I was just wanting some input on what to look for when buying new tubes since mine suck.
I like the JJ's a lot too dre. I've tested a few brands on my own with my amps, and I found the JJ's to have one of the smoothest preamp drives, and a great powertube od, at least in my amps. Bob also does knows his tubes and amps, and does test them for your specific amp. Wherever you go, just make sure they test them accurately. It's all opinion and preference after that.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
I spoke to Jay at Eurotubes, and he set me up with the correct set of tubes for my amp. Like I said, it made the amp sound like a new amp. The drive is smoother and a lot more fluid than it used to be. And the response of the amp is tighter.

I tried different tubes in my amp too. I started with the stock Ruby Reds. I then swapped the power tubes for PM 6L6. Then I tried a PM 12AX7HG high gain tube in the first preamp position. Then I tried a full set of Electro-Harmonix tubes, then a set of Sovtek. Each had a different sound, but nothing really stood out to me. The JJs tubes were hear and shoulders above the rest.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Quote by electrik
Not really, there are much better combinations out there than all JJs. They do have their purpose though. Bob at Eurotubes is a prime definition of a "salesman".

Email Doug at Doug's tubes and he'll tell you the best combination of tubes for you amp. He knows his tubes like no other.

What makes Doug better than Bob? I think Bob is very knowledgeable, courteous and gets back to your questions quickly. Not that Doug isnt, but dont bash a guy on a public forum, man if he did nothing to you.
Thats not cool. (unless you are Doug and promoting yourself)
Quote by demea
What makes Doug better than Bob? I think Bob is very knowledgeable, courteous and gets back to your questions quickly. Not that Doug isnt, but dont bash a guy on a public forum, man if he did nothing to you.
Thats not cool. (unless you are Doug and promoting yourself)

Yes. I am Doug.

You see, the difference is that with Doug, he gives you tubes, a lot of the time mixing and matching them, that work well specifically for your amp, whereas with Bob, he believes that JJs are the be all to end all tube. That is not true at all. JJs have their application, but the fact that Bob just sticks all JJs in anything and makes you think that is the best you can get is just dumb.

I'm not bashing Bob either, he's a good guy, just a salesman. A very good one at that. But if I'm buying tubes, I want the absolute best for my amp and to maximize what I get out of my new tubes.
Last edited by electrik at Aug 23, 2006,
Quote by electrik
Yes. I am Doug.

You see, the difference is that with Doug, he gives you tubes, a lot of the time mixing and matching them, that work well specifically for your amp, whereas with Bob, he believes that JJs are the be all to end all tube. That is not true at all. JJs have their application, but the fact that Bob just sticks all JJs in anything and makes you think that is the best you can get is just dumb.

I'm not bashing Bob either, he's a good guy, just a salesman. A very good one at that.

Oh, so Bob knows nothing about tubes, then...just a good salesman?
Thats rediculous and posting something on this ALL GUITAR site is bad for his business.
Did he ever screw you personally?
I'm just saying that its not a good practice to knock someones legitimate business if he did nothing wrong and your opinion is that "your guy is better than my guy".
Quote by demea
Thats rediculous and posting something on this ALL GUITAR site is bad for his business.
I'm just saying that its not a good practice to knock someones legitimate business if he did nothing wrong and your opinion is that "your guy is better than my guy".

That's not what he's saying at all. Bob is the perfect person to contact if you only want JJ tubes. What electrik is saying is that JJs aren't the be-all-end-all best tubes in the world for every application, but you'd never know that talking to Bob. Bob sets you up with he thinks are the best set of JJs for your amp, rather than someone like Doug or Tubestore.com who offers a variety of brands and will offer you a suggestion from a wide range of choices from various manufacturers. It's like going to a car dealership. If you want to find the best car for you, are you going to go to one dealership that only carries one make of car, or are you going to go to a couple dealerships or a big dealership that carries several makes and models of cars? Hondas might be great cars, but they're not the car for everyone, just like JJ tubes are great tubes, but they're not the tubes everyone is looking for. And yes, ultimately Bob is a salesman. He makes a living convincing people JJ tubes are the best and that they need to do unnecessary mods to their amps in order to make JJs sound great with it, rather than just using a different brand of tubes.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by demea

I didn't say he knows nothing about tubes, moron. And I don't really care if it's "bad for his business" because I'm the only one here voicing the other side of the story. Everyone here is going to recommend him and JJ tubes, and I feel it's up to me to offer another alternative, so don't be a dumbass.

He has not screwed me personally, but I know of many people who HAVE been screwed by Bob (ie. tubes breaking during shipping and him not acknowkledging a refund or new tubes, and false tube info resulting in a fried amp). I also know a lot of satisfied customers.

Now I'm not also saying "my guy is better than your guy", I'm merely offering an alternative solution and one that I PERSONALLY see as more effective. Since when did offering your TRUTHFUL OPINION become a thing of douchebaggery?

Look, I don't see what the arguement is. Bob sells ONLY JJ TUBES, and as a result, his prices might be a little lower, now, you could also go to someone else, and get a VARIETY of tubes that might suit YOUR AMP better. The tubes you get could even include the some of the exact JJs that Bob would sell you.

It's all a matter of preferenace, but calling me out as some kind of asshole for saying that THERE ARE PEOPLE OTHER THAN BOB THAT WILL SELL YOU DIFFERENT TUBES is rediculous. PS: I do not think his business will suffer from this thread.
Last edited by electrik at Aug 23, 2006,
Quote by electrik
I didn't say he knows nothing about tubes, moron. And I don't really care if it's "bad for his business" because I'm the only one here voicing the other side of the story. Everyone here is going to recommend him and JJ tubes, and I feel it's up to me to offer another alternative, so don't be a dumbass.

He has not screwed me personally, but I know of many people who HAVE been screwed by Bob (ie. tubes breaking during shipping and him not acknowkledging a refund or new tubes, and false tube info resulting in a fried amp). I also know a lot of satisfied customers.

Now I'm not also saying "my guy is better than your guy", I'm merely offering an alternative solution and one that I PERSONALLY see as more effective. Since when did offering your TRUTHFUL OPINION become a thing of douchebaggery?

Look, I don't see what the arguement is. Bob sells ONLY JJ TUBES, and as a result, his prices might be a little lower, now, you could also go to someone else, and get a VARIETY of tubes that might suit YOUR AMP better. The tubes you get could even include the some of the exact JJs that Bob would sell you.

It's all a matter of preferenace, but calling me out as some kind of asshole for saying that THERE ARE PEOPLE OTHER THAN BOB THAT WILL SELL YOU DIFFERENT TUBES is rediculous. PS: I do not think his business will suffer from this thread.

No you never said anything about his knowledge of tubes, which is why I' defending him. You just called him a salesman.
And BTW...
A. Call me a moron again...
B. I didnt throw any names at you, just offered my objective opinion, dude.
C. The threadstarter was asking about JJ tubes...not Doug's tubes.
Last edited by demea at Aug 23, 2006,
No more arguing.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Quote by demea

A. Call me a moron again...

Moron. Ok. I don't get it, why do you want me to call you a moron again?
Quote by demea

B. I didnt throw any names at you, just offered my objective opinion, dude.

Alrighty.
Quote by demea

C. The threadstarter was asking about JJ tubes...not Doug's tubes.

I know, but JJ and Eurotubes go hand in hand, and I'm saying there are other kinds of tubes out there that might be better for his amp, and make sure he realizes and does some research before putting his cash down on a bunch of JJs. They have they're purpose but they're not for everything IMO. I'm just using Doug as an example because he runs a genuine small business and knows massive amounts about tubes and tech stuff, and is a great guy when all is said and done. There are other places too of course, like the tube depot, etc.

I say this because I know everyone on UG is going to instantly recommend Bob and Eurotubes, and I'm trying my hardest to DIVERSIFY this forum, which is a dirty job, but someone has to do it.

Quote by electrik
Moron. Ok. I don't get it, why do you want me to call you a moron again?

Alrighty.

I know, but JJ and Eurotubes go hand in hand, and I'm saying there are other kinds of tubes out there that might be better for his amp, and make sure he realizes and does some research before putting his cash down on a bunch of JJs. They have they're purpose but they're not for everything IMO. I'm just using Doug as an example because he runs a genuine small business and knows massive amounts about tubes and tech stuff, and is a great guy when all is said and done. There are other places too of course, like the tube depot, etc.

I say this because I know everyone on UG is going to instantly recommend Bob and Eurotubes, and I'm trying my hardest to DIVERSIFY this forum, which is a dirty job, but someone has to do it.

Oh, I just realized your from Canada...that explains alot.
Quote by demea
Oh, I just realized your from Canada...that explains alot.

Oh that was a good one. Running out of new ideas I see.
Shopping at Eurotubes is like shopping at the Sony Store. It means you KNOW that you WANT JJ tubes. If you want Sony, the Sony Store is your best choice for the most knowledgeable info on Sony products.

Eurotubes will match you with the best JJ tubes for your amp and its application. That's what they sell and promote. Nothing wrong with that. That's not saying JJs are the best or negating other tubes. But JJ tubes are good quality and produce a great sound. I personally tried other tubes, and JJs turned out to be the best-sounding tubes I've come across to date in my amp.

But the bottom line in all of this is that no matter what tubes the threadstarter chooses for his Valveking, they'll most likely sound better than the stock tubes.