I am thinking about getting a TC Electronics G-major and i was wondering how a foot controller works with it. Do you just set certain effects such as a delay and reverb on one patch and just chorus on another or does each patch have a certain effect that u have to turn on or off. Also i was thinking about getting a compressor, does that have anything to do with the foot controller?
The G-major can either be controlled on the unit itself, or by a midi controller like the G-minor. You can use any midi controller though. I have a GNX4 I use for practice, and I also use the floorboard buttons to switch presets on the G-Major. You can store like 100 presets, and then recall them with the midi. You can use any off the effects you want on one preset, and then recall it with the midi controller. The G-major also has a compressor.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
ya Erock has got it also on certain amps you can be midi controlled so you can set it to have the clean channel with these certain effets and distortion with these certain effects but usually its only rack pre amps and really expensive boutique amps what kind of amp do you have
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
I was lookingat the behringer FCB1010 foot controller and i would like to know how you would assign the presets of the G-Major to the foot controller. I would also like to know what the two expression pedals do.
thanks
You setup everything how you want it it the G-Major, what effects and levels and whatnot, then you set it to listen for a midi command. You hit one of the pedals on the footcontroller, it sends a midi command to the G-Major, then you store that under a preset on the G-Major. Now, everytime you hit that same footswitch in that same particular bank on the FCB, the G-Major recalls that preset where your settings were stored. The expression pedal can be setup and calibrated with the G-major to control Mod effects like pitch, speed, levels, etc...

Also as Syn said, if your amp used 1/4" jacks for the footswitch, the G-Major can change channels on an amp; Stereo 1/4" to (2) mono 1/4" cable if it uses one cable for each channel, or a regular 1/4" stereo cable if your amp controls channels with one cable. It can then set the channel on the amp by whatever preset you recall on the G-Major with the FCB controller.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
k thanks

Also say if i wanted to get an equalizer later could i do the same thing with it...like set certain settings of the equalizer on a patch with certain settings of the G-Major or does the equalizer always have the same settings?
Last edited by 14guitar14 at Aug 23, 2006,
that depends on the equalizer, if it has midi capability. The G-Major has a midi thru, and midi out, so it can send it's own commands, or pass on commands from the FCB or any other controller. The G-Major also has it's own 3 band "parametric" eq though.
amp clips
amp vids
o ic thanks... is there any other rack equipment that i should consider getting with the g major?
that's completely personal preference man, it just depends what you want to use. I'm just using the G-Major and a Sonic Maximizer in my rack right now, but I may get an actual graphic eq and an actual power conditioner at some point. There really isn't much more I can think of actually using at right now, the G-Major basically takes care of all my FX. I run it on the FX loop of my amp, and then I have individual pedals for OD or clean boost. The one thing I do run extra on the ground is a Whammy IV, but it's midi controllable too, so you can set it up to kick on only on certain presets of the G-Major. I use it mostly for harmonizing.
amp clips
amp vids
it's hard to explain, but it kind of brings out parts of your sound that get kind of lost in the mix, and pushes them out so you hear them more. It's like a lazy man's eq, you just turn it on, and it sweetens up the sound without having to change a lot of parameters. I don't want to advise you on getting one though, it's something you really have to hear for yourself, but definitely check one out in a guitar store or something. They make pedal and rack versions, and I would advise trying it on the FX loop, it sounds best there IMO. I really love mine, and I don't really notice it's there, unless it's off that is.
amp clips
amp vids
o ic... i was also wondering what the difference is between the G-Major and the G-Force
I think about $700, lol. I don't know really, I didn't bother reading much into it when I realized they were around a grand. I imagine incredible though. The G-Major was already more than I really needed for FX, and they are very high quality for the price. If you are looking at the best rack fx available though, the TC stuff like the G-Force and Eventide units are supposed to be top of the heap.
amp clips
amp vids