Does anyone know of a place where i can get a stencil if this? i love teh japanese rising sun and i wated to do that on my guitar or a shirt
why can't you make a stencil? Get some translucent rubber or plastic, put it over your source, trace, cut. Stencil.
Hi, I'm Peter
Or you can tape the body up, draw the design on the tape, cut it out and paint away. Make sure your spray your basecoat before you do this (the color of the sun, or vice versa if you cut it out the other way).

You can also spray your base color (color of the sun) & tape out the sun, spray the other color & go from there.

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
Quote by Dirk Gently
why can't you make a stencil? Get some translucent rubber or plastic, put it over your source, trace, cut. Stencil.

thanks ill try that, but i cant find a sun big enough for my guitar, its a strat shape
Quote by AlGeeEater
Or you can tape the body up, draw the design on the tape, cut it out and paint away. Make sure your spray your basecoat before you do this (the color of the sun, or vice versa if you cut it out the other way).

You can also spray your base color (color of the sun) & tape out the sun, spray the other color & go from there.

Chris

which would be easier? Doing the sun as the base or the white bacground as the base
Do the white as the base. Remember, darker colors always get sprayed over lighter colors.
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
i painted my guitar the rising sun style. strat copy.

i just taped the design on there. draw it out and tape.

it looks dificult but it's pretty simple once you understand it.

every line you see on the sun points toward the middle. and if you notice it, they all go straight through. it's kinda hard to explain without a visual.

here ya go this should make more sense.

EDIT: don't paint the neck pocket like i did. stupid mistake. just don't touch that pocket.
Isn't the sun supposed to be towards the bottom? Or isn't it usually there?
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
i just put it where it would look cooler. it's all preference for me.
ok i just finished sanding (i think) how do i know when to stop sanding? when its not shiny anymore? im using 400 grit
^yup. that's the right grit.
you're just sanding it down till it's not shiny. that means you got some of the original clear coat that would've crapped out you're new paint job if you didn't sand first.
when that's finished it's time to prime.
Quote by dr.doctor
^yup. that's the right grit.
you're just sanding it down till it's not shiny. that means you got some of the original clear coat that would've crapped out you're new paint job if you didn't sand first.
when that's finished it's time to prime.

so is that what im doing wrong or is that what im supposed to do
that's what you're sposed to do. i was just explaining the purpose of sanding the shiny off.
Quote by dr.doctor
that's what you're sposed to do. i was just explaining the purpose of sanding the shiny off.

allright sweet, thanks , now what kind of paint should i use? Just acrillic spray paint?
i'm not any big help on that. my finish sucks real bad. the clear could fall apart.

but i hear that dupli-color car paint is the popular choice. you could get that at wal-mart.
ask others about how-to's and what clear coat to buy.
allright anyone else know any good pains that dont cost too much? and what kind of finish should it be? After i set a primer should i sand after taht? sorry about all the questions
a lot of questions are a lot more helpful than less.

and yes you sand it with a high grit after you prime. same with after a few coats with all paint jobs i believe. always keep the guitar smooth.