Well, I recieved a half built guitar from my grandfather, (the neck is there, but not set, and the body is there but the back is open, and wiring is old and faulty.) and I'm wondering what pick-ups, bridge, and tuners or anything else I should get

If anyone's wondering, it's apparently an old Danelectro possibly made with Masonite.
Thanks for your time reading this and for your help.

P.S. Just ask if you want any specific pictures.

Sorry for a few of the pictures, my camera was messing up, possibly because it was basically dead.

EDIT: Okay okay, the headstock thing wasn't a big deal, so I won't bother with it, and I'll keep the pickups, but I think I should get new wires and possibly tuners, and does anyone have any ideas of the paintjob?
Last edited by no_username at Aug 23, 2006,
Well you can just hack the headstock off with a hacksaw and then glue on a new one with some elmers white glue that we all used to use in elementary school for making construction paper animals.

That was a joke by the way.

I dont think your going to be able to just cutt off the headstock and slap a new one on. The string tension alone would rip it right off if you didnt do it right; i.e., basically building the whole neck.
yea man dont take the headstock off. maybe you could just reshape it a lil?

any pictures?
Guitars:
Custom les paul copy with sun inlay
Epiphone les paul custom with emg 81/85
Hondo 80's star shape(project)
ESP explorer (project)
Epiphone dr200s
Epiphone ej200
pedals:
mxr doubleshot distortion
amp:
Raven rg100
^ the best bet imo would be ot cut the neck square, route ton parrelel channels in it across the headstock- right angles from teh nut, and add on some wood to the sides. then add a headstock venner- and no one will know.
Okay, I put pictures up, some are blurry or weird.

And yes, I know it's not pretty. Just ask if you want any specific pictures.
Well if the tape is what you want to cut out, I would say wait and think about what your doing. The reason headstocks are designed the way they are is only about 1/2 aesthetics. The other half is actually being designed to withstand the pressure of the strings. I'm worried that if you start hacking away at the headstock that you may try to string it and end up breaking the headstock off anyway. Besides that isnt an LP style guitar it looks maybe like an Ernie Ball or something. I would leave it alone because its got potential to be a great guitar without taking huge pieces out of it in places.
And dude, those lipstick tube pickups look so freaking sweet!!! If you are gonna toss em', let me know. I don't know how they sound but heck would one of those look sweet in my strat!
Oh man, I'd love to have an old danno that i could modify. Keep the lipstick pickups!

EDIT: If you want a jangly 60s sound that is
Guitars:
1997 Guild Bluesbird
Gibson Les Paul Bfg
Acoustics
Ibanez GSR200FM Bass
Amps:
Bugera V55HD w/avatar cab
Fender Champ 600 with 4 ohm cab
70s traynor 200w head with 2 9x8 cabs for bass
[Edited in first post] Okay okay, the headstock thing wasn't a big deal, so I won't bother with it, and I'll keep the pickups, but I think I should get new wires and possibly tuners, and does anyone have any ideas of the paintjob?[/Edited in first post]

Yeah, I just thought it was kinda LPish, so I said Les Paul shape.
I would suggest getting some new lipstick pickups, as those are probably shot and would require more work to fix them then they are worth. I would re wire it because that pretty basic maintenance. Tuners are a good idea but make sure that you wont have any out of place holes left over since you probably wont get the 3 connected tuners. As for paint in my opinion, when I look at that guitar I can see it being a white color, not because of the white shit on the wood, but because that just looks like what it should be.
Okay, I'll try for some new lipsticks, and I had planned on the rewiring (for obvious reasons) and when I can get some paint I'll try the white. Thanks
Sweet dude! That's an old Danelectro...score!
As it's hollow, it won't be any good for metal. Please don't modify it too much, it's a cool old thing.

I'd keep the lipsticks and see if they work.

I'd sand down the mottley finish, and do a nice one on top. A solid color would be nice, maybe red or a light blue...

If this guitar doesn't interest you, sell it to somebody who will appreciate it and fix it up. Put it on eBay or something!

Please don't decide it's crappy because it's no good for metal and mistreat it. Sell it and get a good metal project guitar.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
^danelectro usometimes uses stuff like masonite for the top, don't know about the rest. the still sound good though.

I agree with pink, no_username if it's not the sort of guitar you want, sell it not heavily modify it. I'd try and restore it so it doesn't look modified. A sonic blue or a light green would look killer.
arent most dannos just plywood? eh idk i thinki heard that

if not its probably alder
Guitars:
Custom les paul copy with sun inlay
Epiphone les paul custom with emg 81/85
Hondo 80's star shape(project)
ESP explorer (project)
Epiphone dr200s
Epiphone ej200
pedals:
mxr doubleshot distortion
amp:
Raven rg100
My guess is thqt the pickups would probably need to be rewound, so I say assemble it and just try it out.
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
Sweet dude! That's an old Danelectro...score!
As it's hollow, it won't be any good for metal. Please don't modify it too much, it's a cool old thing.

I'd keep the lipsticks and see if they work.

I'd sand down the mottley finish, and do a nice one on top. A solid color would be nice, maybe red or a light blue...

If this guitar doesn't interest you, sell it to somebody who will appreciate it and fix it up. Put it on eBay or something!

Please don't decide it's crappy because it's no good for metal and mistreat it. Sell it and get a good metal project guitar.

Don't worry, I know that it's old and I wouldn't toss it because it's not meant for metal, I would just find something I like to play with it. I was looking to fix it up in the first place really, but I need some help and some ideas, seeing as the only thing I've done with a guitar is play it and change the strings.

EDIT: v Alright, Allparts, Thanks Man
Allparts sells a few different danelectro pickguards, bridges and other danelectro parts, they also have the lipstick pickups.
I'd love to see this thing revamped...post some pictures!

But seriously, test the lipstick pickups you have first. I personally would be somewhat suprised if they've just died...
Just warning you, I'll probably mess a few easy things up, seeing as this is my first customization... it'll probably be a while until I get it wired, unless I can get the stuff earlier than I expect.

In the mean time, would there be anything I could try doing today, without really any supplies? I'm eager to start doing something to it...

EDIT: Almost forgot, what bridge would you suggest I use on this? Sorry for being so bothersome, for lack of a better word, and thanks very much fo your help
No there isn't, so don't even try.

Actually u cud buy some paint and sandpapaer if u don't already have it and u've decided what color u want.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Well, I should have sandpaper around here somewhere, but I'm pretty sure it's aleady been sanded, and I'm open to ideas for the paintjob.
Quote by no_username
Just warning you, I'll probably mess a few easy things up, seeing as this is my first customization... it'll probably be a while until I get it wired, unless I can get the stuff earlier than I expect.

In the mean time, would there be anything I could try doing today, without really any supplies? I'm eager to start doing something to it...

EDIT: Almost forgot, what bridge would you suggest I use on this? Sorry for being so bothersome, for lack of a better word, and thanks very much fo your help

You could be preping the wood for finishing.

As for the bridge i'd use one of the danelectro bridges.
If you use the proper Danelectro parts it may eventually be worth something on eBay.
And don't worry about wiring man, that's the easiest. You can wire something in an afternoon at most(I can do it in 15 mins); a good paint job can take ages.