Hey just wondering if anyone had some tips or suggestions on how to make my guitar have a more middle eastern sound (alternate tunings, scales, chords, etc) Some help would be appreciated
Scales....
Dimebag 1966-2004 RIP a true legend

Quote by RingmasterTJ
Dumbest thread ever...when shouldn't you get shit-faced drunk?

Quote by Dirk Gently

When I turn on the TV, I see nothing but black people.[/IMG]

Quote by ckellingc
I jerked off in Wyoming if that counts
12,000 feet ftw!!

Quote by gsr2k6
. Oh, Jesus hates you.
There are many scales that could do that for you. Bartok, Algerian, Arabian, Gypsy, Byzantine. I like them all.
We Rock With Our Cocks Out: UG Naked Club FTW!!

Quote by HeavenlyVirus
how many George Bushs does it take to fix the economy? -1
Harmonic Minor and Phrygian Dominant FTW.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
I usually interchange Phrygian, Phrygian Dominant, and the seventh mode of the Harmonic Minor.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Or, if you have the ear of a God and the resources of one too, Be seriously middle eastern and try playing something using a 32 note system, using 1/8th and 1/4 bends to get the notes. Try something by Najma, far eastern metal band that uses alternate music systems.
If you have a crappy guitar you don't mind messing with a great deal, you can always defret it and play fretless. That'll definately add a more eastern feel to your sound, making semitones (the inbetween notes that were left out of the western scale) really easy to hit.

Also, there are some places online you can find something called a "buzz bridge". basically, it's a bridge for your guitar that's more similar to that of a sitar. Instead of being a solid stop at the base of the string, it's a gradual slope, so that when you play the vibration hits the metal slightly and makes for a buzzier tone. Those can be expensive, though, unless you have a tele. I've seen cheap ones on ebay, but mainly just for tele.
I have an addiction...

Les Paul style DeArmond
Danelectro baritone
Rickenbacker 360/12
defretted Strat
lap steel
Yamaha CP-70
Yamaha P-90
Kay archtop
Kay Tenor Banjo
Oud
Sitar
Harmonium
Melodica
Cello

http://www.myspace.com/hi9
Quote by coffeeguy9
Or, if you have the ear of a God and the resources of one too, Be seriously middle eastern and try playing something using a 32 note system, using 1/8th and 1/4 bends to get the notes. Try something by Najma, far eastern metal band that uses alternate music systems.

Slight bends can acheive this effect, although it's difficult to make it sound authentic. Listen very, very closely and try to mimic whatever middle-eastern music you find appealing. The middle east is so culturally rich though that the farther eastern music towards India tends to have more microtones (ragas) and the further west towards Jerusalem and into Eastern Europe (Klezmer music) has less. There's a whole lot of neat stuff in between.

I find it quite fun to play along with far eastern music (chinese, in particular), particularly music played by the erhu (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erhu). A lot of the music has bends of major seconds, minor thirds, and even fourths. I spent a good 3 or so hours playing along with said music yesterday, only stopping because my fingers were torn to shreds from doing so many minor third bends on my accoustic . Was a lot of fun.

Slurgi
the scale me and my band uses for our arabian-esque song
is E minor, exvept you sharp the D, to and Eb.
yeah, i've got gear too...
squier strat
squier tele
Ibanez rg4ex
Boss DS-1
Morely Bad Horsie Wah
Digitech Hot Head
Boss GE-7
Zoom G1X
Mesa Boogie 5:50 Express
Vox AD50vt
Quote by ripbarney12
the scale me and my band uses for our arabian-esque song
is E minor, exvept you sharp the D, to and Eb.

That's the harmonic minor scale.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
ah
my bassist called it like the bizantine scale
yeah, i've got gear too...
squier strat
squier tele
Ibanez rg4ex
Boss DS-1
Morely Bad Horsie Wah
Digitech Hot Head
Boss GE-7
Zoom G1X
Mesa Boogie 5:50 Express
Vox AD50vt
well the new technique ive started to use is to tune my guitar to either EEBBBE or DDDDDD and play some Ravi Shankar-esque lines up and down the high E (or D) string, while simultaneously striking the other strings....very nice effect
Quote by ripbarney12
ah
my bassist called it like the bizantine scale

The byzantine scale has a b2 and b6, harmonic minor has a b3 and b6.

If you wanted to play an E byzantine scale, you'd play an F instead of F# and a C instead of C#.

If you wanted to play an E harmonic minor scale, you'd play an Em scale but with a C instead of a C#.
Quote by guitar_god22

thats about south africa tho...which isnt poor at all.
Quote by RyanInChains9
yea venezula is just the richest country in the world...