As you'll surely be able to tell from this post, I'm pretty dense when it comes to music theory. But I'm learning.

So here's my first confusion, please be patient and read:

The E major scale goes like this:

E - F - G - A - B - C - D

right?

Take the low E string for instance: the above notes are on frets

0 - 1 - 3 - 5 - 7 - 8 - 10

But E major goes like this, if I play it on just the low E string:

0 - 2 - 4 - 5 - 7 - 9 - 11

So shouldn't the frets be the same?

Where the fuck am I going wrong?
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
The E Major scale is E F# G# A B C# D#
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
^what he said. you're showing E Phyrgian, 3rd mode of the major scale.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
I always thought the major scale didn't have sharps, only the notes A, B, C, D, E, F, G

So the notes themselves don't matter, it's the intervals between them that have to be spaced correctly, right?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
the C major scale doesn't have sharps.

edit: some modes of the major scale dont have sharps (D dorian, E phrygian, F lydian)
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
major goes

Whole,Whole,Half,Whole,Whole,Whole,Half.
Why are you wearing one sock? I Know, you've been a dirty little boy.
OK I got it, pick a root note, and move to other notes according to the scale's "formula".

exactly

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
So for instance here:

http://www.guitarknowledgenet.com/LearningRoot/full_fretboard_2.html

if you select view scales, and major scale, what do the numbers 1-2-3-4-5-6-7 refer to?

cause for instance, for the natural minor it goes like this 1-2-b3-4-5-b6-7

And I thought that meant which notes are regular, and which are flat (or sharp), so since the major scale is 1-2-3-4-5-6-7, I wrongly thought the major scale didn't have sharp notes, regardless of key... thus the confusion.

the numbers 1234567 refer to the intervals. The key does matter. so in the key of C (c,d,e,f,g,a,b,c) c=1 d=2 e=3 etc.

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
The scale formulas (the numbers) are in relation to the major scale.

1-2-3-4-5-6-7 is the major scale.

Let's try an example: A minor.

To find A minor, take the A major scale:

A B C# D E F# G#

Take the formula (1-2-b3-4-5-b6-b7) and flatten the appropriate scale degrees.

A B C D E F G

And there you have it, A minor
Thank you, that clears it up.