I've never tried an SG, and none of the stores around here have them so saying "go try it" doesn't really help. Are they good for metal, and can the be good for leads? Or are they more of a classic rock sound?
i have an sg with open humbuckers and it kicks ass for metal as long as you set it up right but i use it for classic rock too its a pretty well rounded guitar and i love it
Very versatile guitar. I know of numerous metal bands that use them. Most use EMG active pickups though.
Yes, it should do fine. I would suggest that you steer clear of the low end Gibson SG's though, because they're pretty much garbage.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Oh yes, check out the Atlanta band Colossick, Maq uses them. That's just one that I've seen.
I also saw that Epi released a new limited edition alpine white G400 with EMG's. Quite a nice looking guitar!
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by Xenn99
I also saw that Epi released a new limited edition alpine white G400 with EMG's. Quite a nice looking guitar!

you got a link or a picture of the add?
Orange Rocker 30 Head
Orange 4x12
Warmoth Strat
Richmond Dorchester
Boss RC-50
Line 6 DL-4
Digitech Whammy 4
Zvex Mastotron
Boss RT-20
Go try it.

Too tempting to not say it.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

i have a sg standard, with the 490 R and 498 T humbuckers that come stock on it, and they are great for all sorts of music from classic /modern rock, to metal, to hardcore, to emo, to punk, to nu-metal this thing does it all, and dont listen to the ppl that say gibson necks are harder to play, i had no problems goin from my strat to gibson neck style
^Not really IMO.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
It has 2 extra frets, but I don't think they would justify the price. Although the supreme has better pickups I here.
Yes, if you don't plan to use a tremelo, you can do things alot easier because of the cut-out allows you to do things such as do an alternate picking riff at like the 19th fret or arpegios there. No matter which SG you can get you can replace the Buckers with Duncan, Dimarzio, Emg or other enjoyable pickups-But you'll have to cut one out for a battery box for an Emg because they need a battery to work.
Last edited by Guitargod12345 at Aug 22, 2006,
i have an sg standard, i would say its worth the money, does metal and classic rock great
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat