Page 1 of 2
whats a good tube amp for 300 to about 450 USD

i was looking at the 40 watt peavy valve king, it need to have enoughwtts or power to play at a small gig like a basement or a lobby in my school

i play metal, and some rock,and i some imes need a good clean channel for acoustic like playng
well are you looking for a combo or a head? cuz a combo is probly gonna be less than the head and a cab/speaker..., ya the valve king is prety good. i am a fan of peavey but i know many ppl arent they have good distortion and wat not, but i would say a pedal is much better if you want a metal sound. as far as acoustic sound, i think the cleans are pretty nice too. i am actually planning on buying a peavey windsor, its actually 120watts, and only about 600-700 USD. i dunno if you maybe want to use more money... bu the bottom line is that you need to play the amp. oh, crate makes some nice tube amps, theyr combos but you should check out the palomino series, or the v-series, the 30watt amps are alittle more expensive then what you said but the 15watt ones are about your price, hope that helps
[B]Member of the Orange Revolution Club. Buy an Orange to join.
Member #16 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join.
Its hard to find an amp that's good for metal for about that much, but there are "some" that you can find for 350-450, but don't buy a fender tube, they are too bright for metal.
Anyways you won't find a Mesa, Marshall, they are expensive, so here are some good brands.

Carvin
Peavey
Crate
ur going to have to go used.

at that price ur talking blues jr, laney, even an old classic 30 is over budget.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
well im saving and theres a lot of stores that sell used so id probably get a used 1
im liking the valve king is that a good amp??? and what mesas or marshalls are tube under 350-500

i need 1 probably for october for a school battle of the bands in the autotorium( dunno how 2 spell that )
well marshalls and mesa's are like >3x the price.

and valve king is ok i guess.
maybe u can find a nice traynor blue 50 used.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
try a blues jr with the right pedal it could do metal and plus the cleans are great with the el84's in it you get a marshall tone when you crank it really sweet
you can get a crate v1215 for around 400 bucks... a nice little class A all tube combo.
what about the peavey valveking 112 like you said
Lunatics on pogo sticks
Another southern fried freak on a crucifix
Hicks don't mix with politics
People on the street just kickin' to the licks
Quote by Fender Picker
I just got a Crate V16 Palomino. AWSOME amp and LOUD.
FP

I've had the V8 for a while. They sound great, agreed.
Have you checked out the Vox AD50VT modelling amp? It's got a solid state pre-amp and a valve power amp, there not that far behind an all-tube amp tone wise and would definately have the grunt for most gigs.
save up and get an all tube fallen angel 60 head.........there like 650
Or a Peavey Triumph PAG 60 or 120 watt head or combo can be had for $250, think XXX type of distortion and tone, no pedals required.
Quote by chryee090130

i was looking at the 40 watt peavy valve king, it need to have enoughwtts or power to play at a small gig like a basement or a lobby in my school

i play metal, and some rock,and i some imes need a good clean channel for acoustic like playng

40 watts is plenty for a small gig.
Quote by Guitargod12345
Its hard to find an amp that's good for metal for about that much, but there are "some" that you can find for 350-450, but don't buy a fender tube, they are too bright for metal.
Anyways you won't find a Mesa, Marshall, they are expensive, so here are some good brands.

Carvin
Peavey
Crate

My fender hotrod sounds a-****ing-mazing for metal. All you need is a distortion pedal. But yah, the built in distortion sucks for metal. Again, I have an RP80 pedal which cost like $100 and the sound is amazing.
Carvin SX200 might not be tube but it has Tube "emulation" not sure how that works out, but just my 2 cents.
Quote by Wiggie
My fender hotrod sounds a-****ing-mazing for metal. All you need is a distortion pedal. But yah, the built in distortion sucks for metal. Again, I have an RP80 pedal which cost like $100 and the sound is amazing.

They are bright, that's the problem.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
any 1 have any experience w/ the hot rod i was thinking about getting that also, and is a boss ds 1 a good distortion pedal for it
Last edited by chryee090130 at Sep 6, 2006,
Quote by Battery Chicken
Have you checked out the Vox AD50VT modelling amp? It's got a solid state pre-amp and a valve power amp, there not that far behind an all-tube amp tone wise and would definately have the grunt for most gigs.

It's got a SS poweramp and ONE tube in the preamp. I wouldn't suggest one for him anyways. I think your best bet would be a used Traynor Blue.
^ It has two tubes.

Btw, that Pignose amp looks sweet. Does anyone know if it's good? Realiable?

American Stratocaster + Blues Junior

I have a Hot Rod and DS-1 and I like the combination. I also use a Boss Flanger, and a wah, But primarily I am using the amp and the DS-1. I think it is pretty versatile, but do not play metal. Boss makes a pedal designed for metal (MT-2?)so you may want to check that out.

Obviously the guitar and and pickups are going to make a difference. What are you playing?
I have a Schecter Omen 6 but will be getting an SG soon...

There is a lot of info on the hot rod here which include sound clips:

http://studentweb.eku.edu/justin_holton/

Here are the specs on the DS-1 including sound clips:

http://www.bossus.com/index.asp?pg=1&tmp=2
Quote by chryee090130
im not 100 sure what a stomp box does is it just a fx pedal???

yes...i was meaning something along the lines of a boss metal zone...or and OD
Shouldn't this be in the Guitar Gear and Accesories forum?
"Notes are expensive. . .use them wisely"-B.B. King

"It's been very important throughout my career that I've met all the guys I've copied, because at each stage they've said, 'Don't play like me, play like you."-Eric Clapton
buy a peavey ultra 2x12 combo
i just bought one for $380.00 amazing amp for metal and decent cleans.
look on harmony central they have 3 pages of reviews and almost everybody rates it aorund or above a 9.

carvins dont do metal very well
and im not a fan of crates their too cheaply made for me.
Quote by GizmoKaKa
My face resembles a buttocks.

Quote by guitar?
I used to hold down my dog and piss on it. I don't have a dog anymore.
Traynor

You can overdrive them really easily if need be. Your gonna need a pedal if you want modern metal tones. But you can pull stuff like Sabbath, Wishbone Ash and Uriah Heep out of it no problem.
The new 50 watt would be your best bet since it has the EL84's rather then the 6L6's
Guitars
MIM Fender Telecaster
Art & Lutherie Cedar
1969 EKO Ranchero
G&L Tribute L2500

Amps
Traynor YCV40WR
Yorkville BM400H
Peavey TVX 4x10

Effects
Behringer DSP1000
Dunlop GCB95 Wah
Digitech HotRod
BBE Sonic Stomp
Quote by Wiggie

I will have to agree w/ that my Jekyll and Hyde w/ my hot rod sound amazing for distortion
Quote by TheDarkestNight
buy a peavey ultra 2x12 combo
i just bought one for $380.00 amazing amp for metal and decent cleans.
look on harmony central they have 3 pages of reviews and almost everybody rates it aorund or above a 9.

carvins dont do metal very well
and im not a fan of crates their too cheaply made for me.

can u give me a link to the peavey ultra 2 x 12
OK

Now that I have your attention I was looking since january for good tube combos under 500$. Now let me say this valve king was second only to crate palominos and V ,but if you really want the extra wattage and ABSOLUTELY MUST stay in taht price range go for the valveking
My Gear :
LTD Fx400
Ibanez S470dxqm w/Tone Zone
Buz Mcgrath's S7320 w/ emg 707s
Boss Gt-8
EHX Metal Muff with top boost for sale!
Crate V32 palomino for sale !
Hmmm...I'd have to agree with some of the others in that a good tube combo that does metal for $300-$450 are few and far between, you're basically locked in to looking used.

If you could wait and save just a little bit extra, I would take a look at the Kustom '36 Coupe. All tube, 36-watts, 1x12, this thang is packin' some power. And the tone is abso-friggin-lutely awesome. This has got to be about the first little combo in it'sprice range that can cover so many styles.

Video/soundclip

...and keep in mind he only has the amp set at about halfway on gain.
Just get a used Fender Pro Junior, they are the same thing as the blues junior with a 10" speaker, all-tube 10 watts.
"And you will never hear surf music again..."
i dont rly want a blues junior its not rly enough to play at a small gig in a lobby or auditorium im liking the peavey valve king and the traynor blue 50,

im looking at the Traynor YCV80 Custom Valve 80 Tube Guitar Amplifier (80 Watts, 2x12 in.)
is that any good http://www.zzounds.com/item--TNRYCV80
Quote by chryee090130

300-450 thats a tight budget for a tube amp.

a 40 watt valeking may not be loud enouph. your gonna need about 40w just to keep even with the drummer. and if the vocals and the bass are loud they might drown you out. you may want to look at like 50-65 watters
Page 1 of 2