ok guys, i am not sure if this is a noobie question or what but, i just changed the strings on my lp. my uncle said that its way better if you have thinner strings for g, b, e. and regular for the lower strings. i ended up stringing it liek that so now i have a
9 for e, a 10 for b, 13 for g, 24 for d, like 27 for a, and i hink 33or 34 for low e. now my question, since im running into a few issues is that whit these thinner strings, will i lose sustain and or sustain while bending? thnx for the help
[B]Member of the Orange Revolution Club. Buy an Orange to join.
Member #16 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join.
Dude thats way too Thin, get some 10's, so the low E string could be 46-52's...well it depends on what style of music you like, the thinner the strings the more high end, the thicker the more bigger sound (perfect for metal) so ya.
well i like playing classic rock, and like zeppelin and stuff like that, but the bends and stuff are way easier to do now. it plays fine, and the low strings are fine too. i used to have guage 10s, but it was really really stiff, i think im gonna go with 9s from now on not this custom stuff. oh, my low e is actually 39. but i know everything is really thin. but on the g, when i bend alot, it kinda mutes after like i bend up like an inch so... i duno about that. but thnx guys
[B]Member of the Orange Revolution Club. Buy an Orange to join.
Member #16 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join.
Hahha,

.015s on my guitar.

.015 to .070, I beat everyone, if I use any thicker strings, you might just blow up.
^Lol

Threadstarter: The thicker strings you use the more tone you get, but the harder it is to play fast stuff like Steve Vai and Malmsteen. I suggest you try some 10s, maybe Ernie Ball, they are cheap and great. Also buy a can of fast fret and use that on your strings after playing. It makes the strings more smooth to play with and it gives them more tone and last longer. Try it.
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
Quote by Muppet
^Lol

Threadstarter: The thicker strings you use the more tone you get, but the harder it is to play fast stuff like Steve Vai and Malmsteen. I suggest you try some 10s, maybe Ernie Ball, they are cheap and great. Also buy a can of fast fret and use that on your strings after playing. It makes the strings more smooth to play with and it gives them more tone and last longer. Try it.

Not exactly, just like with a 'scollaped' fretboard, it takes getting used to.

Well I find thicker strings more playable because they are tighter, and bigger.
Quote by Invictious
Hahha,

.015s on my guitar.

.015 to .070, I beat everyone, if I use any thicker strings, you might just blow up.

My old guitar teacher had a squier set up with 18s O_o
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
thinner strings=easy bending, lack of tone(thin),rubbish sustain
thicker=more crisp and distinct sound,harder bending and less tinny.
those strings ere waaaaaaayyyyy to thin for rock. get 10's-46 or hybrids if you want thin top strings,thick bottom.(ernie b's)
Well if you are playing metal, at least get heavy bottoms, but really, timi hendrix, screw your teacher for using thicker strings than I do

Nevertheless, I am probably one of the guitarists here in UG using thick strings.
yeh and your a crazy mofo for using them while also using your trem as well. and ts your going to notice that the lower strings will sound brighter compared to your other strings
It relly depends on what your style is... Thicker strings will et you a heavier sound, with more sustain, but thinner strings are easier to bend, vibrato and faster to play on....
My 10's on my Firebird are great for it. I put 12's on my Les Paul cause I never keep it in tune lol. Now, my friend, he's got some wierd string set that has a 10 for high e, and a 72 for low e lol. So he's .10-.72, a little thicker than your bottom tristan lol.
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix