Fingers.

Possibly one of the best punk bands ever i have their first two albums and they're amazing particularly: Alternative Ulster, Johnny Was and Bloody Sunday.

Who else loves 'em?
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
everybody?

Even Jebus? wow. on a slightly on topic note i went to see a local band who covered suspect Device and Alternative Ulster and the band who i know invited me to sing backing vocals for the songs and What Do I Get by The Buzzcocks as well.
I was in a bar/pub for dinner one time and these guys did an acoustic cover of Alternative Ulster.

It was sweet. I tipped them so hard.
Quote by Draken
Even Jebus? wow. on a slightly on topic note i went to see a local band who covered suspect Device and Alternative Ulster and the band who i know invited me to sing backing vocals for the songs and What Do I Get by The Buzzcocks as well.

Wow, that sucks that you had to be invited to sing backup vocals.

As for SLF, I used to like them more than I do now, but I still like them a lot.
Ehh I'm not a Fan of Britpunk, but they are pretty tolerable.

I would include them with 77 bands, and honestly, I cant stand 77. It's way too slow and too 'rock n roll.
"This shit here's called Death"
"What the fuck? You mean I'm gonna hit this shit and die?"
"No Nigga! I said Deaf. You hit this and you aint gonna hear shit!"
i dont know why i never liked this band. wasted life is a pretty good song though
Ive seen them live so many times, theyre my favourite band (the damned following a close second) every time ive seen them ive come out grinning, they never disappoint. Favourite songs- suspect device, at the edge or johnny was but im quite fond of their cover of the specials-doesnt make it alright.
“I smoke. If this bothers anyone, I suggest you look around at the world in which we live and shut your f*ckin' mouth.” RIP
Http://www.Smash-it-up.tk
Quote by hardrock1315
Wow, that sucks that you had to be invited to sing backup vocals.

Well i'm sorry they just thought it would be a nice thing to do for me.
SLF are quality. I went to see a tribute band called "Straw Dogs" last year in Glasgow, they were amazing.
I got into them thanks to my uncle. He has AU on vinyl and a bunch of others. SLF is one of my favourite bands. Definitely top 5.
Quote by JohnnyNapalm
Ehh I'm not a Fan of Britpunk, but they are pretty tolerable.

They're Irish.

Quote by JohnnyNapalm
I would include them with 77 bands, and honestly, I cant stand 77. It's way too slow and too 'rock n roll.

You say that like it's a bad thing.
You would prefer it if they sounded like Slayer?
Quote by sargasm
I don't like straight edge because it's part of Hardcore, and I don't like Hardcore because, aside from the terrible music, the kids are often very homophobic.

You forgot ugly, lazy and disrespectful.
BTW, "Johnny Was" is a Bob Marley song originally, but I like SLF's version much more.
Quote by sargasm
I don't like straight edge because it's part of Hardcore, and I don't like Hardcore because, aside from the terrible music, the kids are often very homophobic.

Nemo, I can finally correct you! They're from Northern Ireland therefore British.
Tell that to Northern Irish people and see how many teeth you walk away with, son.

Being invaded and enslaved by someone does NOT make you a citizen of that nation.
Quote by sargasm

I've been to Northern Ireland and er...I'd say that it's the South that would knock my teeth in for saying that

I'm just saying that it is a fact that NI is part of Britain. Whether they lik ethe title or not is a different story.

And I'd know that being invaded doesn't make you a slave of a nation being Palestinian/Armenian/Lbanese/Cypriot...
Quote by ss311
I've been to Northern Ireland and er...I'd say that it's the South that would knock my teeth in for saying that

I'm just saying that it is a fact that NI is part of Britain. Whether they lik ethe title or not is a different story.

Now I'm just gonna have to spank ya for not knowing your SLF lyrics.

Green wogs, green wogs
Our face don't fit
Green wogs, green wogs
We ain't no Brits
Quote by sargasm

Nemo, I'm merly pointing out that whilst they may not like being known as British, they still are counted as part of Great Britain. They may not feel it, but unfortunately, that's what Ireland(North) is counted as.
Quote by johnnynemo
BTW, "Johnny Was" is a Bob Marley song originally, but I like SLF's version much more.

i like both versions

Quote by ss311
Nemo, I'm merly pointing out that whilst they may not like being known as British, they still are counted as part of Great Britain. They may not feel it, but unfortunately, that's what Ireland(North) is counted as.

he's right.
“I smoke. If this bothers anyone, I suggest you look around at the world in which we live and shut your f*ckin' mouth.” RIP
Thanks to the Belfast Agreement of 1998, people in Norhtern Ireland can be Irish AND/OR British citizens, depending on their preference.

Therefore, since SLF considers themselves Irish, THEY ARE IRISH.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Ireland

"...people who were born in Northern Ireland on or before 31 December 2004 (and most persons born after this date) are entitled to claim citizenship of the Republic of Ireland. This is as a result of the Republic of Ireland extending its nationality law on an extra-territorial basis in 2001 as a result of the Belfast Agreement of 1998, which stated that:

The two governments recognise the birthright of all the people of Northern Ireland to identify themselves and be accepted as Irish or British, or both, as they may so choose, and accordingly confirm that their right to hold both British and Irish citizenship is accepted by both Governments and would not be affected by any future change in the status of Northern Ireland.
Quote by sargasm

I'm talking internationally. The Irish can choose, but noone else doeds. They just say British.
I don't remember how I found them, but I love them.. I have Inflammable Material and Hanx! on CD, I've been planning to buy more.. Some of my favorite songs are Gotta Gettaway, Here We Are Nowhere and Tin Soldiers.
Quote by ss311
I'm talking internationally. The Irish can choose, but noone else doeds. They just say British.

How many different ways do you want to lose this lil debate?
Let's recap.

Lyrically, SLF declares that THEY ARE IRISH, in the song "White Noise".

Legally, SLF members have Irish citizenship, which means that THEY ARE IRISH.

Internationally, when you talk about SLF (or any other people) that are from Ireland (North or South), they assume that you or THEY ARE IRISH.
Quote by sargasm

Quote by johnnynemo
They're Irish.

You say that like it's a bad thing.
You would prefer it if they sounded like Slayer?

Well I know theyre Irish, but I meant like UK punk.

And to me, it is a bad thing. I got into punk because I was tired of the slow ****.

and NO, i'm not calling 77 ****, its just too slow for my liking.

And i dont like slayer.

I dont want to turn this into a crust debate again, but Doom and Contravene are about as punk as the Sex Pistols. So they're metal influenced. Theyre still ****ing punk rock. Theyre fast, loud, snotty and everything the sex pistols were, just more heavy.
Quote by JohnnyNapalm
And to me, it is a bad thing. I got into punk because I was tired of the slow ****.

and NO, i'm not calling 77 ****, its just too slow for my liking.

And i dont like slayer.

I dont want to turn this into a crust debate again, but Doom and Contravene are about as punk as the Sex Pistols. So they're metal influenced. Theyre still ****ing punk rock. Theyre fast, loud, snotty and everything the sex pistols were, just more heavy.

Slow is a relative term and, as Adict310 pointed out, slow punk songs can be quite good.
I think that "Troops of Tomorrow" and "Last Rockers" are great slow punk songs.

When someone says "slow rock song", I tend to think of some crappy Coldplay song, not the Sex Pistols.

I won't start a debate about the thrashy stuff, but I will again point out that the reason that those types of music are called crust, grind, powerviolence, or whatever, is because they don't sound like the music that is defined as punk rock.
There's really no getting around that fact.
Quote by sargasm

Quote by johnnynemo
Slow is a relative term and, as Adict310 pointed out, slow punk songs can be quite good.
I think that "Troops of Tomorrow" and "Last Rockers" are great slow punk songs.

When someone says "slow rock song", I tend to think of some crappy Coldplay song, not the Sex Pistols.

I won't start a debate about the thrashy stuff, but I will again point out that the reason that those types of music are called crust, grind, powerviolence, or whatever, is because they don't sound like the music that is defined as punk rock.
There's really no getting around that fact.

Well true.

But it's all punk to me sir.
Quote by johnnynemo
How many different ways do you want to lose this lil debate?
Let's recap.

Lyrically, SLF declares that THEY ARE IRISH, in the song "White Noise".

Legally, SLF members have Irish citizenship, which means that THEY ARE IRISH.

Internationally, when you talk about SLF (or any other people) that are from Ireland (North or South), they assume that you or THEY ARE IRISH.

I myself would refer to them as Irish. Remember, it wasn't me who referred to them as British. What I'm saying is that not everyone differentiates.
Quote by johnnynemo
Thanks to the Belfast Agreement of 1998, people in Norhtern Ireland can be Irish AND/OR British citizens, depending on their preference.

Therefore, since SLF considers themselves Irish, THEY ARE IRISH.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Ireland

"...people who were born in Northern Ireland on or before 31 December 2004 (and most persons born after this date) are entitled to claim citizenship of the Republic of Ireland. This is as a result of the Republic of Ireland extending its nationality law on an extra-territorial basis in 2001 as a result of the Belfast Agreement of 1998, which stated that:

The two governments recognise the birthright of all the people of Northern Ireland to identify themselves and be accepted as Irish or British, or both, as they may so choose, and accordingly confirm that their right to hold both British and Irish citizenship is accepted by both Governments and would not be affected by any future change in the status of Northern Ireland.

No way! My nan was irish (northern), but moved to britain before i was born, i assumed that they were all classed as british coz she used to tell me that she didnt care if they called her british, in her heart she was and always will be irish, i guess that was just coz she lived in britain then...

learn somethin new everyday dont yer
at the edge, gotta get away, breakout!
slf is definately my favorite band. they dont have a song i dislike
Says 'United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland' on the passport, so they are Northern Irish, or United Kingdomish (if you want), but not British. Fine band. I think I seen them live more than any other, though they kinda slowed down over the years. Last time was about a year ago, Jake seems to have lost the grate in his voice, which is a real shame.