Page 1 of 3
where can I a 1970's Gibson E2 Explorer (fitted with EMG active pickups) ? I also need a Bogner Uberschall amp and a Mesa Boogie 4x12 recto cabinet but i think i can find those two fairly easily. Anyway I've looked at about 2 different guitar centers and maybe about 4 other strip-mall guitar stores, but no luck, I've looked on musician's friend and ebay but i cant find it there either. Anyone help me out here please?? Thanks
Quote by aguma
where can I a 1970's Gibson E2 Explorer (fitted with EMG active pickups) ? I also need a Bogner Uberschall amp and a Mesa Boogie 4x12 recto cabinet but i think i can find those two fairly easily. Anyway I've looked at about 2 different guitar centers and maybe about 4 other strip-mall guitar stores, but no luck, I've looked on musician's friend and ebay but i cant find it there either. Anyone help me out here please?? Thanks

typo, sorry,

*Where can I FIND a 1970's gibson...*
Why don't you just get a standard gibson explorer and put EMG's in it man? What's so special about the other one? Does it give head? If so, I would also like to know where to find one.
Hi.

I'm like..so cool

Quote by ?øXÍÇÍ?¥

Cheesemuffin > les paul

Runner Up for best guitarist...

Meh better than nothing
lol i want it cause its the exact same one claudio sanchez from coheed and cambria uses, and despite the fact i am a huge black metal fan, coheed and cambria is one of my fav bands...strange eh? anyway yeah, thats the reason
Well, can't you just get one that looks like it then customize it to look exact? That would be much funner than forking out so much money for something from the 70's....
Hi.

I'm like..so cool

Quote by ?øXÍÇÍ?¥

Cheesemuffin > les paul

Meh better than nothing
meh you have a point...thanks bro lol ill go listen to a normal gibson explorer and see if its like what im lookin for.
Hey post a picture here of that dudes explorer so I can see what the big deal is about it. Also so I can give you tips on what to do.
Hi.

I'm like..so cool

Quote by ?øXÍÇÍ?¥

Cheesemuffin > les paul

Meh better than nothing
Oh man I know exactly what you mean! Love Coheed and love Claudio's explorers! Makes me want some emg's soooo bad, btw I can't find any, does Allan's or Billy Hyde have them (Vic, Aus)???
no big deal, its just the sentimental value. and it didnt have to be from the 70's it could just be a remake lol but oh well
Quote by 123-Trav
Oh man I know exactly what you mean! Love Coheed and love Claudio's explorers! Makes me want some emg's soooo bad, btw I can't find any, does Allan's or Billy Hyde have them (Vic, Aus)???

www.emginc.com

Find some dealers on there buddy.
Hi.

I'm like..so cool

Quote by ?øXÍÇÍ?¥

Cheesemuffin > les paul

Meh better than nothing
ok i think your confused claudio uses the 76 models correct?
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
i just said 70's, never said what year exactly. and what style of emg pickups do you think would be best with an explorer, or which sound closes to the coheed sound?
Whichever he uses. I presume it's the 81/85 set...or an 81/60 set or whatever.
Hi.

I'm like..so cool

Quote by ?øXÍÇÍ?¥

Cheesemuffin > les paul

Meh better than nothing
That natural finish on Claudio's Explorer.. wow.

He's got a great guitar tone, in my opinion. If you do end up getting the Exp and putting EMGs in it, post pictures!
My gear:

MIJ Squier Stratocaster

Washburn WR150 Quilted Top

Oscar Schmidt Semi-hollow Delta King

Epiphone Hummingbird

Amps: Fender Eighty-Five
ya claudio doesnt play with explorers from the 70s i believe all modern explorers besides the ones made from 83-85 are based of the 76 model so any explorer you pick up from GC is the same exact model.

http://www.gibson.com/Products/GibsonElectric/Gibson%20Electric%20Guitars/X%2DPlorer/X%2Dplorer/

thats the guitar he plays just in different colors and such. also he uses EMG 81/85 i believe
lol ill try to remember to do that...but im not trying to make an exact replica of his, i just love explorers, really love the way jackson kellys look but last one i used was alittle less comfortable to me then the explorer, i just want my guitar to sound like coheed because its my favorite sound on a guitar...even though black metal is my true calling lol
also if you need to know he uses a Bogner Uberschall
Quote by aguma
lol ill try to remember to do that...but im not trying to make an exact replica of his, i just love explorers, really love the way jackson kellys look but last one i used was alittle less comfortable to me then the explorer, i just want my guitar to sound like coheed because its my favorite sound on a guitar...even though black metal is my true calling lol

Well, I would get an EMG 81/60 set if I were you. The 60 has some really nice cleans. And if you aren't man enough to go clean once in a while, you aren't worthy to call your music metal.

That's just my opinion.

Also about the amp, you might want to try getting a roland cube or a vox valvetronix, both great amps. Good metal tones.
Hi.

I'm like..so cool

Quote by ?øXÍÇÍ?¥

Cheesemuffin > les paul

Meh better than nothing
ya but those amps wont hit claudios tone because it cant match the tone of a Bogner there tone is distinct
Well, i've never heard his tone. But I can get nice ax7 tones on my vox and Syn used to use uberschalls. I'm using stock pickups too. So if he had EMGs he would get really damn close.
Hi.

I'm like..so cool

Quote by ?øXÍÇÍ?¥

Cheesemuffin > les paul

Meh better than nothing
^Honestly dude, I don't think the uberschall is worth it. You can save loads of money and still get a really really ****ing nice tone with a cheaper tube amp. But hey if your daddy is rich and you can afford it spend away.
Hi.

I'm like..so cool

Quote by ?øXÍÇÍ?¥

Cheesemuffin > les paul

Meh better than nothing
EMGs through a Solid State is not using them to there full potential. and trust me a Bogners tone is very Distinct if someone has a ear for tone you can tell the difference
erm, i mean the uberschall, replying to syn harvest lol, dail up sucks
Quote by Syn Harvest
EMGs through a Solid State is not using them to there full potential. and trust me a Bogners tone is very Distinct if someone has a ear for tone you can tell the difference

I get what you're saying dude, I realize that the uberschall has a distinct tone. And the valvetronix isn't a solid state amp. Trust me, you don't need a 3 grand amp to get a really good metal tone especially if you're using EMGs.
Hi.

I'm like..so cool

Quote by ?øXÍÇÍ?¥

Cheesemuffin > les paul

Meh better than nothing
ya Uberschall aint Cheap were talking 2200 used but it is a very nice amp. though there are better amps for cheaper or the same price
well what would you suggest for cheaper but still sounding pretty good? im kinda on a limit of about $5000 here lol
Well, if you can afford it go ahead and get the uberschall.
Hi.

I'm like..so cool

Quote by ?øXÍÇÍ?¥

Cheesemuffin > les paul

Meh better than nothing
Damn 5000 and you need the guitar plus amp and cab

for that much you can get the Bogner Uberschall plus Bogner Uberkab(better than the mesa) and the Gibson and have money left over
lol but say i wanted to save alot of that money, for things such as the next 5 months of food lol?
oh ok well in that case i suggest a Mesa Dual Recto plus Mesa Cab used you can get it for probably 1600-1800 USD.

Also the Rivera Knucklehead is a very good amp as well but the head plus cab is gonan be more like 2500 Used but i think it is a better amp than the Mesa
i saw a gibson explorer on musicians friend for about 1,100 or so i think...so that would leave me with about 3900, and i dont plan on spending 2200 of it on a bogner lol, gawd im picky eh?
In that case, get the gibson explorer, put EMG's in it. And get a vox valvetronix half stack. You'll be set and still have enough money to buy a snickers bar. Aproximately 6,000 snickers bars.

EDIT: Good luck getting a bogner for that much. It'll probably cost around 4 grand for the head and cab.
Hi.

I'm like..so cool

Quote by ?øXÍÇÍ?¥

Cheesemuffin > les paul

Meh better than nothing
no dont get a Vox half stack thats stupid solid state halfstcaks suck. i think one of my choices would be better
well im looking for the mesas but i cant seem to find them anywhere, maybe im just stupid lol, have a link please?
mesa Does not deal online you will have to purcahse from a dealer or buy from ebay
Wow Syn, you're an idiot.

The Vox isn't solid state. Read up about it, then go play one. You'll love it. I reccomend the UK Modern for metal tones, sounds alot like a mesa boogie tri rec
Hi.

I'm like..so cool

Quote by ?øXÍÇÍ?¥

Cheesemuffin > les paul

Meh better than nothing
Page 1 of 3