Ok i've broken it 3 times in the last 4 days.

Wtf is wrong?
I play hard but not that hard.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

get thicker strings
PEDOBAITING:http://pedobaiting.proboards100.com
Quote by RM_Midnight
are you allowed to talk, aug. '06er?

Quote by Dancing Fool
I hope I don't get sigged.

Quote by _Mayday_
Raven, of course you know RM_MIDNIGHT.
He's the people's champ!

SNICKERS SONG
Where is it breaking on the string? Is it near the nut, the saddle or in the middle somewhere?

Nut or saddle??? could be a "sharp" spot there, but that's a bit unusual on an acoustic... unless your nut slot is too tight... ???

If its snapping anywhere else, its either you or you might have a rough spot on a fret and need a fret dressing. Look around the area where the break is happening and you should be able to figure it out yourself.
Quote by Bill43
Where is it breaking on the string? Is it near the nut, the saddle or in the middle somewhere?

Nut or saddle??? could be a "sharp" spot there, but that's a bit unusual on an acoustic... unless your nut slot is too tight... ???

If its snapping anywhere else, its either you or you might have a rough spot on a fret and need a fret dressing. Look around the area where the break is happening and you should be able to figure it out yourself.

^ yea what he said!!
[highlight]MY GUITAR[/highlight]
Quote by TheAmaranth
I once broke a G-String while fingering an A minor.

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your sig if you are one of the 8% who stayed with real music.
Quote by kam3
^ yea what he said!!

If you have ever seen JMAG's old avatar, reffer to it.

As for me, I've been playing for almost 9 months now, and I've never broken a string. Is that a good or a bad thing?
Quote by ryansfriend1
As for me, I've been playing for almost 9 months now, and I've never broken a string. Is that a good or a bad thing?

It is a normal thing for people just starting
try to properly change your strings, there are little tricks that i use to keep em from breaking.
1. Cut the excess string off before hand with a wire cutter. I use this trick to figure out where i'm cutting. String the entire string through tightly, all the way. Now let go of the string and let it naturally curve out, taking about 5 inches of extra. Now go abot 3 inches above the nut, and cut right there. That should be plenty of string for you to mess around with with alternate tunning.
2. Make sure that you don't twist and turn your string. often with the E string, new players bang it with penny "picks", do a horrible job of winding the thing up, or pull the string too much. A little dent in the string, even from a penny pick, would make a stress point, which would break if you stressed it. Try to make a clean string change, simply string through, cut here, wound nice ly and slowly, and don'[t be an idiot and tune ur e stringh all the way up to the high d, ur just going to break it.
String thickiness shouldn't matter, unless someone messed with your guitars action, which it doens't because it's an acoustic. How ever, thicker strings are a possibility

hope that helps
Possibly your pick is too heavy - I broke 2 strings in one night before changing to a less thick pick - haven't broken one since.
What kind of strings? Elixers consistantly broke at different places on the G string. This among other reasons are why I will never buy them again. Any other string no problem at all.

Bry
Quote by wylde_overdrive
Large Brownie Batter Blizzard with chunks of brownie. *Dairy product orgasm*

Yes, i'm fat
Quote by Bryan52803
What kind of strings? Elixers consistantly broke at different places on the G string. This among other reasons are why I will never buy them again. Any other string no problem at all.

Bry

You mean the coil around the center of the string breaks off in some points?
Happened to me, that string actually lasted a month though. hah.
After that string this stuff started.
Breaks near the bridge.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

Quote by 1611av
Possibly your pick is too heavy - I broke 2 strings in one night before changing to a less thick pick - haven't broken one since.

1.14 mm is perfect.

If i use mediums i break the picks in the middle of a song.
Quote by BigFatSandwich

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

Quote by ryansfriend1

I broke a string in my first like month.
Then i didnt break one for a while.

Thats good, Save you money and time and embarressment on stage.
I'd say change the strings every month though, especially if they look rusted.

When you start you normally arent as intense about it.
When i hit one year of playing i started doing at least 5 hours a day of practice.

Now sometimes i dont play in a day, sometimes i'll do 5 hours a day. I dont really practice, i just play. Every so often i'll improvise though.
Quote by BigFatSandwich

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

Quote by feltgrape
If i use mediums i break the picks in the middle of a song.

...that's so weird, haha. What brand do you use? I've worn my picks out but never have broke them. I just misplace them, lol.

If you are breaking picks... and strings.. that easily.. I suggest teaching yourself not to use so much force. But that is just what I would do if I found them breaking that easy.
"Those who do not want to imitate anything, produce nothing."
Quote by scribbles
...that's so weird, haha. What brand do you use? I've worn my picks out but never have broke them. I just misplace them, lol.

If you are breaking picks... and strings.. that easily.. I suggest teaching yourself not to use so much force. But that is just what I would do if I found them breaking that easy.

Either fender or guitar center mediums.
Quote by BigFatSandwich

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

Quote by feltgrape
You mean the coil around the center of the string breaks off in some points?
Happened to me, that string actually lasted a month though. hah.
After that string this stuff started.
Breaks near the bridge.

Nope entire string breaks clean. What I was saying is that it has happened many times, each time in a different location, trying to show it was the strings fault.

Bry
Quote by wylde_overdrive
Large Brownie Batter Blizzard with chunks of brownie. *Dairy product orgasm*

Yes, i'm fat
My G string is always breaking and it's always clicking whenever I tune it, but that was because of the angle of the nut. I just put a little of pencil graphite on it and it doesn't squeak or click anymore.
Quote by ryansfriend1

the problem could be one of four things
1 - your strings aren't think enough- experiment with different brands and gauges of strings

2 - your pick is too thick- again, experiment with different picks to find your favorite. Me, I use green dunlop tortexes

3 - Your guitar- like SD said, check the nut on your guitar, see that it isnt sharp or anything, and check your frets and bridge too.

4 - You're playing too hard. Ease up!
Quote by Roc8995
Thin necks make you play faster because guitars with thin necks sound thin and bad, and you play fast to distract people from the bad tone.
I had that problem as well. It'll go away with time.
#2 fanboy of Conor Oberst pm frd_mrshall to join
The g-string is probably the most commonly broken string on the acoustic guitar. I'd suggest you use Martin medium strings. Also, it depends on how hard you hit the strings when you strum.

Does anyone else giggle at the title of this thread?
Quote by TheAmaranth
I once broke a G-String while fingering a minor.

haha that is just too funny i am siging that!!!
[highlight]MY GUITAR[/highlight]
Quote by TheAmaranth
I once broke a G-String while fingering an A minor.

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your sig if you are one of the 8% who stayed with real music.
Quote by TheAmaranth
I once broke a G-String while fingering a minor.

saw that one coming
Well, life is too short, so love the one you got
'Cause you might get runover or you might get shot
mmhmm. I thought this was a joke thread until reading the first posts.
Quote by Roc8995
Thin necks make you play faster because guitars with thin necks sound thin and bad, and you play fast to distract people from the bad tone.
Quote by shorter_rocker
It is a normal thing for people just starting

Actually I found it the other way around when i first started I broke a ton of strings, now I dont think i've broken one for about 6 or 7 months.