I am new to the bass and don't have an amp yet. Eventually I am going to get one. What does speaker size have to do with? Am I better off with 10's? 15's? 12's? I would most likely be using it for every type of music from blues to metal. What are the pros and cons of each speaker type? Also, what is the difference between aluminum speakers and non aluminum?
well if you're gonna just play at home, there's not much point in buying a huge amp, I dunno . anywhere between 15-50 watts would be enough for practice at home. If youre in a band, you will need a bigger amp. Im in a band and I have a Fender Rumble 100, which is 100 watts( too much power, I never crank it up past half volume, cause I would probably be louder than the guitar) so I recommend, for a band, anywhere between ..65- 100 watts. Obviously some brands are better than others, so you are gonna have to use your own discretion on the amp, my Fender has been good so far. And I have no idea what the difference between aluminum amps is.....

Quote by greendayguitar
Wow, that looks extremely good, thank you mcuhly RadioHead22, for your amazing gift of foodiness.

M E S H U G G A H
take a trip to the guitar center and see for your self its the only way to know what u will truely like
MEMBER 6 OF I <3 Online Putt Putt Group
Puttsecks?
Quote by DoTheEvolution
I like peni better. It sounds funnier.
"a group of naked guys jumped me, I have never seen so much peni ."
he likes peni

Captain of the Rage Against the Myspace Club. PM Bloody Mary to enlist.
Just on this subject is a 12" speaker good for home practice and super small gigs/ playing with friends (we're 16ish and we have 30W guitar amps)? Because I want to get a Peavey MAX 112, they don't seem to be that expensive and heavy. Even though I play bass, i am rather small and weak. So would people recommend 12" speakers? the PEAVEY 112 is only 40W, does that really matter? like i see 60W and 70W Amps that use 12" Speakers. Sorry I'm not that smart
Last edited by h0d0g at Aug 23, 2006,
Big speakers have more low end, small speakers produce better highs...
15" are good if you like a bassy tone, 10" are good if you like a more detailed tone. 12" are in between, having both bass punch and high detail (but not as much as a 15 and 10 combo).

And aluminum cones have a much crisper sound than paper cones, wich have a warmer sound.

For a combo amp, I wouldn't go smaller than 15" for live stuff, for band practice, 12" should do fine, for home practice a 10" is more than enough.
Quote by John Swift
My neighbour bought his son a Mark Hoppus bass for Christmas, the set-up on it was terrible (the neck had so much bow they should have supplid arrows with it).

Its nice to be important, but its important to be nice...
I've gigged with a 65w 1x12 amp before because I had no other choice. (My main amp was getting repaired) and it's not fun at all, you just don't cut through live. Practice it just about managed to keep up. if your gigging I suggest 300 for comfortable gigging, though you might be able to just get away with 150w+ if you'rte playing very small gigs.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
10's are very punchy, and articulate.
15's are very deep and powerful, but less defined.
12's are of course, a comprimise.

Aluminum cones are colder, paper cones are warmer.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
I tryed to post this last night, but UG was down
Quote by RAGEING_BAD_@$$
take a trip to the guitar center and see for your self its the only way to know what u will truely like

Not necessarily...
A 15" speaker will give you a very deep, boomy bass tone. It will have less high end and sharpness. Alone, these are great for R&B, Hip-Hop, and Reggae/ska

A 12" speaker will give you something inbetween a 15" and a 10". It has the lows of a 15" and the highs of a 10". It also has a lot of midrange... Alone, 4x12s are great for classic rock.

A 10" speaker will give you a brighter tone. They are very punchy and have great high end. They are great for punk, modern rock, and funk when used by themselves.

There are many combo cabs out there, like a 2x12 or a 4x10. They sound pretty much the same as an individual speaker, except more boomy and thick.

When these are paired up (1x15 with a 4x10) you get the best of both worlds. These cover pretty much everything. 12" speakers are great if you only have room in your car for 1 cab, your parents don't want any more noise, or you just can't fork over the cash.

Now, to help you find a specific amp that would be good for you... how much money are you willing to spend on this amp? Right now, I'm going to suggest an SWR LA15, but if you are willing to spend more than $300, I will recommend something else.

Have fun, and happy shopping

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
Smaller speakers also take less effort to physically move, so a 10" will be louder to a 15" getting the same power, but again, your low end suffers.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Incubus_SCIENCE

Now, to help you find a specific amp that would be good for you... how much money are you willing to spend on this amp? Right now, I'm going to suggest an SWR LA15, but if you are willing to spend more than $300, I will recommend something else.

I can probably spend about $350-400 at Guitar Center. That is for trading in my Schecter and talking them down a bit. Maybe my parents will let me borrow some money. I would be basically using the amp for home practice but my band is a sort of problem. We need a bassists and its harder to find a bassist than a guitar player. If I played bass, we could get a guitar player. I was thinking about a Ampeg BA-115. It is 100 watts and I could probably use it with a band. How would this be? Is there anything better?
Quote by Incubus_SCIENCE
I tryed to post this last night, but UG was down

Not necessarily...
A 15" speaker will give you a very deep, boomy bass tone. It will have less high end and sharpness. Alone, these are great for R&B, Hip-Hop, and Reggae/ska

A 12" speaker will give you something inbetween a 15" and a 10". It has the lows of a 15" and the highs of a 10". It also has a lot of midrange... Alone, 4x12s are great for classic rock.

A 10" speaker will give you a brighter tone. They are very punchy and have great high end. They are great for punk, modern rock, and funk when used by themselves.

There are many combo cabs out there, like a 2x12 or a 4x10. They sound pretty much the same as an individual speaker, except more boomy and thick.

When these are paired up (1x15 with a 4x10) you get the best of both worlds. These cover pretty much everything. 12" speakers are great if you only have room in your car for 1 cab, your parents don't want any more noise, or you just can't fork over the cash.

u can tell him what it will sound like but it just dosnt justify it. how would a noob know what a "punchy" sound is. pics are worth 1000 words but sound is worth a million
thats what i was was meaning
Puttsecks?
Quote by DoTheEvolution
he likes peni

Quote by RAGEING_BAD_@$$
u can tell him what it will sound like but it just dosnt justify it. how would a noob know what a "punchy" sound is. pics are worth 1000 words but sound is worth a million
thats what i was was meaning

I am a noob to bass. I play guitar though. I know what punchy means.
I have 100 watt ampeg and it works fine for practice and such. Volume can be a bit lacking until I plug in my pedals sometimes, but my guitarist did get a new Fender 2x10 so....
Quote by jmac72187
I am a noob to bass. I play guitar though. I know what punchy means.

ahh changes the whole story
Puttsecks?
Quote by DoTheEvolution
he likes peni

Quote by jmac72187
I can probably spend about $350-400 at Guitar Center. That is for trading in my Schecter and talking them down a bit. Maybe my parents will let me borrow some money. I would be basically using the amp for home practice but my band is a sort of problem. We need a bassists and its harder to find a bassist than a guitar player. If I played bass, we could get a guitar player. I was thinking about a Ampeg BA-115. It is 100 watts and I could probably use it with a band. How would this be? Is there anything better?

Not bad, although a few people's here have crapped out on them (Mangablade being one user).

I suggest one of these 2... if you can save up the extra $50, the Eden will give you enough volume to do a few gigs, and the tone will never crap out.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/GallienKrueger-Backline-115-Combo?sku=482536
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Nemesis-N15S-Siver-Series-Bass-Combo?sku=488210

Have fun!

Quote by jmac72187
I was thinking about a Ampeg BA-115. It is 100 watts and I could probably use it with a band. How would this be? Is there anything better?

I've used one of these quite a bit for band practices, and even then I didn't like them too much. The tone shaping is kinda limited to the 5 settings they give you, with two of them not being punchy enough to cut through in a band situation unless you have the volume cranked tons. I didn't like the sound much either, but that's all preferance anyway.

In that price range I think you can get a Hartke HA3500 head (350w @ 4ohms) and a cab. I'm not sure how the prices are in America, we tend to get very distorted prices but here the Hartke and a Hartke cab was the same price as a BA115. There are also SWR's, Asdowns, in that pricerange if you want a combo.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
Quote by jmac72187
What type of cab should I get if I get that. I would only be left with $150.

http://avatarspeakers.com/

$150 is not going to get you anything but a Behringer, but these things will last a long time.

Quote by Incubus_SCIENCE

$150 is not going to get you anything but a Behringer,

no sir^

http://www.musicsupplycenter.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=27
i have heard good about them
Puttsecks?
Quote by DoTheEvolution
he likes peni