I read in my Hal Leonard book to use alternate picking in all the riffs, licks and solos i play but it's not coming easy. I have to pause and think about how i am going to pick the next note even on simple licks like Come As You Are. How often do you all use this technique? I am aware it is used to quicken your lead solos and general playing. I guess i should start off alt-picking scales and then move to songs.
I use something called economy picking, where you just "attack" the next string in the most effient manner. IE if the next note i'm playing is up (closer to me) two strings from where my pick is currently, i will do an upstroke. It was easy for me to pick up, and I really don't see why you would use stricktly alternate picking (while string skipping and what not) istead of economy. Maybe I'm some what misinformed about alternate picking.

Lke everything else, it takes some practice and applying it to things you are learning, and things you already know. Good luck
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour
Last edited by iain4444 at Aug 22, 2006,
i use it all the time without even noticing it, it's just easier and you can go a lot faster
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
ya i agree with iain4444, set up each stroke to compensate for the next note
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
It doesn't have to do with just speed, economy is also a factor...

economy picking is another approach, and sometimes an alternative to alt picking fer some

in the end it just comes to a matter of preference
Quote by TheUltimateSin
I use a 26-fret 7-string Gilgamesh 4000XR with dual overdriven flourescent-orange Seymour Duncan pick-ups...My guitar is badass, beeatch.

best air guitar ever
Well if you're shredding man you're gonna need bad and even if you're not its a skill and you should try to add to your library of skill man.
TO DISTURB IS TO PLEASE
Um...economy picking is just another term for sweep picking.

In most cases you need to alternate pick. It's impossible to get anywhere as a guitarist without it. (Unless you play fingerstyle)
No fucking images.

Ghey.
Quote by SagaciousChild
Um...economy picking is just another term for sweep picking
That is incorrect. Economy picking involves sweeping, but it is not the same.

Anyway, alternate picking is so important it isn't funny.
Wait, yeah.

Well...you need alternate picking for economy.

And I think I do economy...I have no idea, I don't pay attention anymore.
No fucking images.

Ghey.
Quote by bangoodcharlote

hahahahahaha!
That made me laugh for some reason... Yeah, alternate picking is the most important part of playing sort of...
I have nothing to put in here.
i used to have trouble alternet picking but its comes natural now try to just go 1234 on all the strings alternet picking them keep doion that and doin that and it real helps ur speed and getin used to alternet picking
Quote by L_Z_Nut
Who is this "Billy Joe Armstrong" you guys are talking about..... sounds made up to me.

Quote by l2p_Guitar
my penis is like 6 inches. i measured with a measuring tape and accidentally let it go, so i have cuts down the side.

RIP heaven's gate
*is lazy and just legato's everything*

>_> I just frakin love legato.

Anyways, alternate picking! Yeah! Economy is useful for speed when switching strings, as that's it's primary focus. In fact that's it's only difference from alternate.
its pretty important, you have to get faster and thats how you do it. you can't just always play with down or upstrokes.

-gtrfrk
~gtrfrk

founder of the dunlop pick fan club

RIP Roger "Syd" Barrett

"Let the good times roll"
While nothing is ever required for guitar, there are some skills you absolutely must
have down stone cold in order to get anywhere. Alternate picking is one of them.
It should be second nature. Work on it.

Also, while many can claim to alternate pick without thinking about, many fewer
actually do it well. Learn how to pick with good technique. You can easily get
comfortable alternate picking with a lot of bad habits. You can make some progress,
but then at some point you'll never get any better. Often, that requires completely
tearing down your picking and building it up from scratch. So, do it right the first
time.
Quote by iain4444
I use something called economy picking, where you just "attack" the next string in the most effient manner. IE if the next note i'm playing is up (closer to me) two strings from where my pick is currently, i will do an upstroke. It was easy for me to pick up, and I really don't see why you would use stricktly alternate picking (while string skipping and what not) istead of economy. Maybe I'm some what misinformed about alternate picking.

Lke everything else, it takes some practice and applying it to things you are learning, and things you already know. Good luck

I don't even know what alternate picking is lol...I just do what makes sense, not any updown crap. If I'm playing something like the verse to Welcome Home (Sanitarium), I'm just gonna down stroke the whole four string thing, then repeat. Once I get to a part where I'm doing chords and what not, then I back to the standard up down (less the part requires eing played strictly down).
Since I'm in this thread anyone wana explain to me what alternate picking is? My gitar teacher and I haven't discussed (unless I didn't realize we were) about different picking styles. Said you can go up/down, certain thing require strictly up or down(to achieve a different sound on multiple strings), and showed me (even though I did this instinctivly) that why play an upstroke if going down a string? Why not just downstroke there instead? Which obviously makes a lot of sense. Did to me at the time still does.
Last edited by Page&HammettFan at Aug 23, 2006,
Quote by edg
I would take it to mean lead-type picking of mostly a single string (as opposed
to strumming). You pick down-up-down-up-down-.... i.e. alternate. Simple,
wasn't?

Oh, when playing one string you alternate, but basically do what I do now when switching strings?
I didn't use alternate at first, but I started learning it, but didn't just use a Down-Up-Down-Up patern throughout a song - I'm not sure, but I think I use economy picking :s Not sure
When I started learning guitar my teacher immmediatly (on the first lesson) sent me home with a 1234 exercise and told me to alternate pick it all, now when I play the alternate picking just comes natrualy, in fact I find it hard not to...

Alternate picking is important, since not only does it help to play fast, but also keep a good rythm, when I play, I play all my downstokes on the beat and the upstokes on the off beat (depending of course if I'm playing 8ths 16ths and so on, but you get the point), and it really helps me keep beat well.
I personally alt pick everything. (Minus, of course, palm muted "chugging", sweep picking, etc.)

It really takes all the erroneous "thought" out of playing a piece and let's your fingers do the emotion, if you know what I mean.
Quote by bangoodcharlote

I agree completely. Once you get Alternate picking down, it will become second nature. Alternate picking will make your picking 100% faster.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
I economy-pick. But to me it's all reflex, so I don't have a "method", just whatever comes out.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
I think it's quite important.

At first, I had to actually remember to do alternate picking, but after practicing it's almost instinctual.

however, economy picking is a different story. Takes me a while to think about the most efficient picking strategy for whatever I'm playing.
"instinctive" * ? i think that's what you meant, rockergurl. :P
Gear List:
Jackson DKMG Dinky Cobalt-Blue
Washburn EA8B Cutaway
Line 6 Spider II 112
Jekyll & Hyde Overdrive/Distortion Pedal
Boss RC20-XL Looper Station