Well, getting right to it, I'd like to meet the following criteria: 50+ watts, a few basic fx (i don't want to be paying a lot of money simply because the amp has a lot of built-in fx), nice clean sound, I'd prefer "normal" amp (no tubes) but i could be persuaded if neccesary, and I'd like to stay below the $500 mark (however that can be made a bit bigger). A local music store with very little selection suggested a 'Marshall DFX' which has exactly the sound I'm lookin for, however the 30 watt isn't big enough and the 50 watt is too expensive ($600). They also suggested a 40 watt 'Traynor YCV40' ($400), which sounded alright, however it wasn't a real attention grabber. Lastly, they suggested an 'Electar Tube 30' by Epiphone ($200) which was only 30 watts but all tube, it sounds alright but has zero fx on it. That being said, I can get the store to order me in pretty well any amp you guys suggest so please help me out any ways you can, it's greatly apppeciated. Thanks greatly .

Jon
"Music is like religion to me. There'll be music in the hereafter too..." -- Jimi Hendrix

"The sun is gone, but I have light..." -- Kurt Cobain

"It's better to burn out then to fade away..." -- Neil Young
vox amps are nice. tube amps, while less wattage, are more or less 2/3 to 1/2 of how much sound you'll actually get. For example, a 30 watt vox tube amp will be like a 50 watt marshall amp. That's kind of how it's been explained to me. I had a marshall dfx and got rid of it for an acoustic. The effects are kind of crappy, but its loud, i had the mg250dfx. Try ebaying an amp. If you don't have an account use a friend's. Its a good time. B-52 makes good amps, as well as crate for solid state. you could always buy an amp with no effects and get a couple pedals. Ebay those too, you can get good pedals for like 25 bucks new. good luck
stay away from the marshall, and like mentioned before, id head for a vox, valvetronix series is good. or u could go for a b 52 tube combo, i saw it on guitar center it was like 100 watts, real nice
Gear

Johnson strat copy
epi les paul jr
epi les paul studio
Ibanez gax 75
crate 10 watt
crate fxt 120
danelectro honeytone
marshall 8200 bichorus
behringer 400watt cab
i like the Fender solid-state DSP series.
Sketchy Sketchy Sketchy Sketchy Sketchy Sketchy Sketchy Sketchy Sketchy Sketchy Sketchy Sketchy
If you aren't set on 50 watts there is this Randall Half Stack, its 120 watts. I imagine its not that bad.
http://music123.com/Randall-RX120DHS-Half-Stack-i270286.music

I've heard that Randall actually has some nice SS amps and I'd go with this or a Fender DSP like beffyboy said.
SPAM
Stock Gibson Pickups from a 2005 V, I think they're a 498T and 500T set FS/FT
Duncan Distortion (regular spaced) FS

Looking for: an acoustic, recording gear, or $
http://cgi.ebay.com/RANDALL-CYCLONE-GUITAR-AMPLIFIER-AMP-HEAD-CY300_W0QQitemZ320019558232QQihZ011QQcategoryZ10171QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I would look into this and a cab. I've read that the Randall Cyclone is the best Solid State, or regular as you said, amp that you can get. The only thing is that this one only has reverb as an effect.
SPAM
Stock Gibson Pickups from a 2005 V, I think they're a 498T and 500T set FS/FT
Duncan Distortion (regular spaced) FS

Looking for: an acoustic, recording gear, or $
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Marshall-MG100DFX-Combo-?sku=483190

That's the 100 watt version of the Marshall you liked.

It's below 500. Unless you're living in like..China or something.

You tested it, you liked the sound. What else matters? Go buy it.
Hi.

I'm like..so cool

Quote by ?øXÍÇÍ?¥

Cheesemuffin > les paul

Runner Up for best guitarist...

Meh better than nothing
If you've tried it and it has exactely the sound your looking for then you've got your answer.
Yes, but even though the marshall sounds nice to me, everyone insists that it's not a good amp. Why is that? Also, do you guys think it's a good idea for me to order my amp online from musicansfriend? Is it safe? Thanks!
"Music is like religion to me. There'll be music in the hereafter too..." -- Jimi Hendrix

MG's are prone to breaking down, the fan is notorius for needing repairs

the tone is also terrible

EDIT: Also, if anything, Tube amps are the 'Normal' amps. Solid State circuitry only began to be used in amps in the 80's I believe, before that it was always tube
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
Thanks for the food for thought 'GNR4EVER' haha.

Quote by GNR4EVER
MG's are prone to breaking down, the fan is notorius for needing repairs

the tone is also terrible

EDIT: Also, if anything, Tube amps are the 'Normal' amps. Solid State circuitry only began to be used in amps in the 80's I believe, before that it was always tube

Well SS was around during the 60's. But id say don't get an MG, they are horrible.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Gabel
Well SS was around during the 60's. But id say don't get an MG, they are horrible.

Gah sorry, thought it was 80's

Tube amps are still older though

...Right?...
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
The saga continues at: 'Amp selection stage...'