Im thinking of getting a new guitar in addition to my curent guitar, a MIM Strat (All single coils). I mainly play metal/rock a bit of punk as well as a little bit of blues.

I play anything from ACDC, Van Halen, Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin and also System of a Down, Wolfmother and RHCP. My main influence is Metallica so i want something that can handle James's killer riffs and Kirk's awesome solos.

Before I was thinking of getting a Gibson SG but other than being too overpriced, now i think i want something a bit more "metally"

Im thinking of getting an Explorer type guitar, like the ESP LTD EX models (on the ESP website they only have LTD EX's i dont think they have an ESP EX) Also can you get an Explorer type guitar with a tremolo? I really love the Explorer shape and the fact that Hetfields uses one is steering me in that direction. Also do i need 24 frets for soloing.

For price range, maximum of $2,500 Australian, i think rougly thats between $1,250 - $1,750 American

For the features of a guitar

Neck and Bridge Humbuckers (absolute must!!!) Im thinking EMG's would be great but Ive heard they dont have very good cleans, which isnt to much of a worry but which ones have decent cleans?

Tremolo would be nice but not essential.

Any help or advice is appreciated.
If i was you I'd lean towards the ESP EX, the diamond plate is sexy

And as for the EMG's, i heard the 85/60 Combo is very good, apparently the 60 in the neck has good cleans
James and Kirk both use EMGs so just listen to the cleans in some Metallica songs to find out if you would want them or not. I think James uses a 81/60 combo and Kirk uses 2 81s but I could be wrong.
Schecter is also a good metal/rock company. I have a C-1 Classic, and it can play pretty much anything. Plus, they are very well made, and fall well below your price range. You can get the C-1 for about $750 in the states. Don't know what that translates to in Aus though.
Quote by ProjectDark
If i was you I'd lean towards the ESP EX, the diamond plate is sexy

And as for the EMG's, i heard the 85/60 Combo is very good, apparently the 60 in the neck has good cleans

Yes.

Quote by Turbo_Man
James and Kirk both use EMGs so just listen to the cleans in some Metallica songs to find out if you would want them or not. I think James uses a 81/60 combo and Kirk uses 2 81s but I could be wrong.

Yes.

Quote by tristan123/
i'd strongly recommend a dean dimebag for metal in particular. That's if yer budget allows you.
http://www.deanguitars.com/home.php

And yes, but a little overpriced because it's a signature guitar.

You can get similar guitars to signature guitars for lesser prices generally. But the Dean he's talking about is a very nice guitar.

I would also recommend an LTD or your choice, and then you can pop an 85/60 combo in there so you can have nice lead and clean.

Also, you said you were looking at the Gibson SG. Very good guitar for metal as well. Maybe a bit overpriced, but it's a damn reliable guitar. That and the Gibson Explorer FTW with Gibsons.
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

EX have 22 frets on the ESP Standard Series so yeh mate sorry but the EX is out of contention. What amp do you use mate?
I never said 24 frets is a must have but if i did get something with 24 frets i think id get a tremolo with it for soloing.

I have a Behringer GMX210, yes i know its not the best and i know its only a SS but it works fine for me, and the some of 99 preset effects are pretty good, theres even a tube replication effect on there which sounds good.
Quote by guitar_guru_28
I never said 24 frets is a must have but if i did get something with 24 frets i think id get a tr***lo with it for soloing.

I have a Behringer GMX210, yes i know its not the best and i know its only a SS but it works fine for me, and the some of 99 preset effects are pretty good, theres even a tube replication effect on there which sounds good.

anyway they are still over your budget. so then what else from ESP Standard Series is the Eclipse and there are some Horizons ( i think) but not too sure. and yeh id still say with that much money buy a new tube amp and all the effects in the world
I'm with the Aussie I reckon a new amp would be the better bet with that money.
If you want a new guitar with a locking trem Ibanez are pretty good for the moeny or you could look for a pro model second hand.

Hamer do a explorer type shape with a Floyd Rose its called the standard. The american ones will be too expensive brand new but you may be lucky and pick one up second hand they also do a less expensive range called the slammer series which could be in your budget never tried them though.
Hamer USA Chapparal Custom, scalloped fretboard & Sustainiac
Hamer USA Chapparal Elite, Dragon Snakeskin finish
BC Rich USA Gunslinger
BC Rich USA Warlock
Boss GX700
3TM ADA MP1
Rocktron XPression
Mesa 50/50 Stereo Power Amp
Laney 4x12 Cab
I think I've lied I think the Standard is only available now with a tune o matic bridge.
BC Rich USA Gunslinger
BC Rich USA Warlock
Boss GX700
3TM ADA MP1
Rocktron XPression
Laney 4x12 Cab
however this guitar is good http://www.bmusic.com.au/prod4026.htm though the problem is the bolt on neck and the neck pickup but it like meets all your expectation or you could drop more and get this http://www.bmusic.com.au/prod3380.htm or this http://www.bmusic.com.au/prod3378.htm or this http://www.bmusic.com.au/prod3184.htm and get the neck pickup changed to a 60
Nice guitars,especially the first two . They've got original floyds as well.
BC Rich USA Gunslinger
BC Rich USA Warlock
Boss GX700
3TM ADA MP1
Rocktron XPression
Laney 4x12 Cab