okay if the guitarist i play with has a 50 watt tube amp(peavey valveking 112) what would be a good amount of watts in an amp for me to get if i wanted to be a bit louder then him?

thanks for your time
tube=2.5x lounder than solid state, thats all i kno on the subject
Gear:
Hamer Californian
Ibanez RG470
Ibanez RG120
Ibanez V
Crate 15 watt
Marshall 50DFX
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone pedal
"Member of The Straight Edge Club. PM danzig-_- to join."
A 50watt tube amp is ****ing LOUD, bass or guitar.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
People don't like Dave Mustaine because he created something that owned Metallica in just about every single aspect of thrash metal.

it's true
Well are you looking at a combo, or full out rig? Cause from the specs of your guitarist's amp, it sounds (pun not intended ololol) like you should look in cab/amp head territory if you want to play loud, without disorting the **** out of your gear.
Once you get to the top, the only way to go is down.
Quote by Stop Messin'
A 50watt tube amp is ****ing LOUD, bass or guitar.

Not really.
For guitar, if you're cranking the whole thing, yes, it's loud. So say your guitarist has it cranked, getting a good rock tone.

Now if you have a 50 watt tube bass amp, you'll only be able to use no more than 60% of the volume at most. Why? Breakup! You'll start getting distortion on your bass as you turn it up. So even if you have a 50 watt amp, you only have so much clean volume. Of course with guitar it doesn't really matter, because it's perfectly acceptable to use distortion. With a bass however, you're usually expected to keep it clean(not always though, there's fuzz bass, which IMO sounds awesome when used correctly).
And on top of that, 50 watts(distorted) will give way less volume when used at bass frequencies. Bass requires WAY more effort on the amps part to make it loud. That's why you so often have bass amps with enourmous wattage.

If you want more wattage from a tube bass amp, you have to add tubes. In the days before solid state technology came along, you'd need something like six 6550 power tubes to get 300 watts. Well, you might be thinking this is all good, but in order to supply the huge power consumption of six 6550 tubes, you need a HUGE power transformer. This means weight, and lots of it. Now on top of that, you need a bigger output transformer, which means more weight. That's why there are heaps of tube guitar amps, but not very many bass. You end up with a huge clunky bastard.
Solid state amps are cheap to produce, use smaller transformers, and no output transformers. That's why bass amps are solid state usually. That's getting a bit off topic, but oh well.

All this crap was based on my 1968 twin 6l6 "50 watt" Fender Bassman and various knowledge I've picked up from building and repairing tube amps and other electronic equipment.

Hope that was somewhat informative...
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
you'd probably want at the very least 200 watts...i'd say look into some heads and cabs...hartke, GK, and ashdown offer affordable heads and cabs, so look into them
Quote by Soma3009
An interesting Thread. IN BIZARRO WORLD! HAH.

Quote by FakePlsticTrees
and props, clapping and bows to you mantiscabinet.
the most used "rule" is to double ur guitarist watts not always necessary but it easier because like pink said if u cranked it it will distort . so 100 would even u up so id say about 125 butt you could get more so you will be prepared from the future.
MEMBER 6 OF I <3 Online Putt Putt Group
Puttsecks?
Quote by DoTheEvolution
I like peni better. It sounds funnier.
"a group of naked guys jumped me, I have never seen so much peni ."
he likes peni

Captain of the Rage Against the Myspace Club. PM Bloody Mary to enlist.
100W probably would be a nice amount. i doubt he'd turn his amp all the way up, unless he likes being deaf
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
for your information im pretty much already deaf
epiphone sg
MIM Fender Telecaster
peaveyvalveking 112
behringer pedal:TO800, UD100, EQ700
custom pedal board
goals for 0

-to sing
-sing & play
-have succesful first show
What was that?

lol
Puttsecks?
Quote by DoTheEvolution
he likes peni

^This is the 3rd thread I've been in where you are making pointless 1 sentence posts. Plus, this one was a double post. Please make your posts useful.

A 50 watt tube amp will get VERY loud, much louder than it seems it will be able to. 200 watts should cope with it on full volume, and give you just a little bit of headroom for solos and whatnot.

EDIT: There was nothing wrong with what you said above, its just you seem to only be making things "light and humorous", and its not adding too much. Just try to be a bit more constructive

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
just keeping it light and humorous i did not realize it was a double and i put my useful one 2 post up but i get what your saying

to thread starter

if you give us a price range and what style of music you play, we can show you some amps that would be good for you.
Puttsecks?
Quote by DoTheEvolution
he likes peni

Quote by RAGEING_BAD_@$$
What was that?

lol

rockintill_2
is the guitarist i was talking about who got the amp

thanks for all the info.

oh yea and for the music i play its really all over the place.. usually punk, pop punk, metal, alternative, rock, classic rock..

but mainly the alternative/rock/punk thing

as for price range? i dont quite know that yet but ill take a random guess at around 400-500 dollars.. if i can get anything good enough for that
Last edited by motley_cruester at Aug 24, 2006,
for $400-500 and 200 watts, you'd probably hav to look towards behringer amps, but be warned tonal quality wont quite match the tube amp's, but that can be corrected if u know how to tweak teh EQ's and hav the right effect pedals (LMB-3 in particular can be very useful). and you should be careful as their workmanship isnt quite as on par as other manufacturers.

having said that, i do own a behringer, and it hasnt had any significant breakdowns to date (just a lose jack input). behringers make very affordable amps that are very loud. a good choice for the workingman.

most other amps in that price range wont quite fit the wattage criteria.
Puttsecks?
Quote by DoTheEvolution
he likes peni