Would one of these be good for a first time mod? New hardware, pickup (a p-94), new tuners, the whole thing.

For $99, would it be good for a first attempt? I know it won't be some amazing guitar even after the mods, but would it be good as a back-up to a regular LP Jr.?

I'm not looking to make it into a miracle guitar, just a fun, first time project. Would it be worth the $99 and whatever the new stuff for it would cost?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
It's got bad wood...
Not worth it.

In general, new guitars aren't. Look for something used.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
How bad can the wood really be though? Is it just multiple thin sheets of maple and alder all glued together, or is it just a few pieces like they use with the alder/mahogany on the Epi LP-100's/Studios/standards?

Also, would it be possible to find a "fluke" that's all alder, or possibly even mahogany?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
i think itll be alright as a fun project if you have the money to spend on it, as long as youre happy with it, then its all good. i was thinking of doing the same thing, they are still damn nice looking guitars. I know someone in an established band and has great guitars but uses a modded epiphone lp jr for a few songs in their set.
http://www.theweekendkids.com

Gibson Les Paul Studio w/dirtyfingers pickups
Gibson Joan Jett Melody Maker
VOX ac30 head
Marshall 1960 4x12 cab
Fender Hot Rod Deville
It's plywood. ****. And they don't use any mahogany or alder in solid pieces, they save the nice stuff up for their nicer guitars, and all the clippings and junk go towards these.

The necks on those things are gross. TBH, the best cheap guitars in terms of neck playability are Squiers IMO. The necks are thin and fast, just make sure you get one with good frets. Shop around used music stores. All newer Affinities on up are solid wood, contrary to popular UG belief. If you take a Squier, replace the trem, tuners, and put a single P-90 or HB in the bridge, you have a similar guitar, but better.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
^I'm really not a fan of Fender shapes...except maybe the Jaguars/Mustangs/similar shapes.

In fact, I'll go look up the Squier versions of those now...
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Depends, if your really serious about tone, you shouldn't look at this guitar. Go out and play a few stock. I have a LP Special II, which is the Jr. with another pickup basically. The neck is fine, tone is ok, but I literally replaced everything. Bridge, tailpiece, pups, all electronics, tuners, nut, added a pickguard, and got a good set up. Not a bad guitar.
Basically, I'm looking at it as a backup guitar for whatever kind of LP Jr. I decide to get.

Would it be cheaper to just get the Epi '57 Reissue Jr.? It's mahogany with a set neck, has better hardware and wiring, as well as Grover tuners...plus the stock P-100.

If I'm looking at scrapping basically everything but the LP Jr. Special's body and pickguard, would it be cheaper just to go for the '57 reissue?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by Xenn99
How bad can the wood really be though? Is it just multiple thin sheets of maple and alder all glued together, or is it just a few pieces like they use with the alder/mahogany on the Epi LP-100's/Studios/standards?

Also, would it be possible to find a "fluke" that's all alder, or possibly even mahogany?
I have one. (uncovered HB)

It's the shittiest plywood you could possibly imagine. Alternate layers are like playground mulch. The outer plys are decent though. It doesn't seem to matter. It still has a great tone. The tuners look like crap, but they work well enough. The HB is a little hotter than a paf. It's a nice compromise. The nut is the worst part. It's a fairly soft plastic and was way too tall when I got it. You'll want to replace that, first thing. I filed mine down, but was still not satisfied with it. It's so soft the strings hang up on it and tuning was tedious. I had to look at 5 of them to find a fretboard that was straight. If you buy one, get it from a store, not through mail-order. The output jack is pure junk, but that isn't hard to replace. The intonated wraparound bridge beats the hell out of a tuno and tailstop. It has sustain for days. I was gonna replace mine with a Quan, but found I could get very close, by adjusting the 2 grub screws. This thing practically plays itself. The only thing I really don't like about it, is the fretboard is nearly dead flat. I like a small radius board for comfort. Everything else was easily fixable.

EDIT:
Quote by wongacaster
WTF!.

sooooooo old thread.
how could you even find it to revive it?
I didn't even notice the 2006 on the first post, or scroll all the way down the page before I wrote all that.

@ sean tee

Please don't revive an ancient thread to make an unimportant comment. If you have similar questions about an issue, and want to use an old thread as a starting point that's fine. What you did here was worthless. I am not liking you AT ALL right now.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Last edited by SomeoneYouKnew at Aug 24, 2007,