I love the guitar to death, I swear, its just the insane amount of pain and discomfort its causing me. My fingers are not callousing properyl. The skin is getting shed right off and it hasnt been hardening at all. Its been like this for WEEKS. Whenever I play the pain is almost like a hot blade cutting into my fingers. Call me a pussy, whatever, but, its terrible. To the point where i have to wrap my fingers. Which looks utterly stupid and screws up my playing. Could anyone give me some advice on how to develop callouses faster than normal?
Crappy Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Ibanez RG7321
LTD F-10
VOX AD15VT
Dunlop Jazz III's (Black)
D'Addarrio .09-.46's
What kind of guitar are you using?

Learning basic chord shapes is always a good start I've found.
A ****ty ESP F-10 out of one of those beginner pack things. Cousin broke the epi..anyways, I memorized quite a few chords and can do them all easy..but, they still are not forming.
Crappy Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Ibanez RG7321
LTD F-10
VOX AD15VT
D'Addarrio .09-.46's
Hmm, get thicker strings, like .011s, and then when you fret, press down on the strings as hard as possible, it will form, don't worry.

If you have .015s like me...
If your fingers and are little damp or clammy all the time it is hard to develop callouses more than the player with a dry skin. I have told many of my students in the past to try to use different types of powder on there hands before practicing which drys out your skin so you can start developing callouses that will stay instead of peeling off. If you have this problem you will go threw strings very quickly. I found most of my students that have that this problem need a new set of strings within weeks, you also will not be able to slide from one position to another freely without sticking to your guitar neck.
Joe Kubek wears a rubber surgical glove in the shower to keep the water from softening his callouses. I'd imagine with that kind of hygeine he goes through lots of strings.
There is some pain involved. Try Elixir strings and go to a 9-42 gauge string.
Depotgang

yeah, i know when strings get old the tend to get kind of hard on the fingers, also see if you can adjust the action if its too high
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Takamine G340SC
Epiphone G 310
thats too bad man, i was like that for a few months now its cool but my fingers and pretty tough from burning a sprinkling hashish back in da day yo. try touching hot stuff
How much would it cost to adjust the action? Because its really high due to truss rod problems..
Crappy Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Ibanez RG7321
LTD F-10
VOX AD15VT
D'Addarrio .09-.46's
Quote by KerryHammett
How much would it cost to adjust the action? Because its really high due to truss rod problems..

I had the height adjusted on an acoustic a couple of weeks ago for $20. I think most places will run you $20-30. It's well worth it though.
Quote by Ibanez_rawker
but I have a penis.... and when most guys have the chance to get some, they are gonna take it.... our hormones were going out of control and her 'rents weren't home.

Edit: she knew I wasn't wearing a condom.
How would the action being high hurt my fingers?
Crappy Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Ibanez RG7321
LTD F-10
VOX AD15VT
D'Addarrio .09-.46's
Quote by Kerry Hammett
How would the action being high hurt my fingers?

When the action is high, it causes you to press the strings down more than you would have to to get a clear note if it is lower. I guess I don't know how else to play it.

I recommend to stop playing guitar when your fingers get really sore. I know that is really hard, because this is the same thing that was happening to me and when it felt like a hot knife and I was cringing, I decided maybe I should just take a break. Let my fingers heal, let my callouses form. They are getting better now and not peeling as much, they peel because you are splitting them people keep saying on these forums. Anyway, just stop playing for the day if it hurts.

BTW, you can smooth your peeling finger tips with a finger nail file(assuming your peeling skin is kind of rough.) It worked for me at least.
"Those who do not want to imitate anything, produce nothing."
Thats what I thought. I'll take everyones advice and stop playing for a bit when my fingers hurt..even though itll be so hard.. ...Thanks anyways guys.
Crappy Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Ibanez RG7321
LTD F-10
VOX AD15VT
D'Addarrio .09-.46's
2-3 months. At first, my callouses were as hard as hell, now...they really suck..
Crappy Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Ibanez RG7321
LTD F-10
VOX AD15VT
D'Addarrio .09-.46's
Well, if you have formed callouses, i dont see how its still hurting. Maybe you just have soft skin. I been playing about 2-3 months also on this cruddy rented squire bullet series and I stoped having that problem after a couple weeks.

Do you pick on your callouses alot?
Quote by Ellron
Put lime juice on your cuts it willl make them harden up.

Yeah, do this it works.
Quote by ManEatingTree
Well, if you have formed callouses, i dont see how its still hurting. Maybe you just have soft skin. I been playing about 2-3 months also on this cruddy rented squire bullet series and I stoped having that problem after a couple weeks.

Do you pick on your callouses alot?

Not at all man. I'll try the lime juice thing.
Crappy Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Ibanez RG7321
LTD F-10
VOX AD15VT
D'Addarrio .09-.46's
Quote by scribbles
BTW, you can smooth your peeling finger tips with a finger nail file(assuming your peeling skin is kind of rough.) It worked for me at least.

This is a good tip as well. I decided to try it on one finger to see if I can notice the difference. Not only did the file smooth it out a bit, it also hardened my finger overall, over one week.
Definitly try this.