hi guys,
i was just after some advise on staying in the right key for soloing because sometimes when i go out of the key it doesn't really match to the song as agianst me staying in the key
Just memorize the scales, know, and understand it at 1st. Noodling around the fretboard is ok at 1st just to familiarize your fingers to the scales, only later on you start making real music by playing with your ears as you've mastered that particular scale/mode/arpeggio.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
just remember the order they come in bro. eg.

C Major
D Dorian
E Phyrgian
F Lydian
G Mixolydian
A Minor
B Locrian

They all follow on from one another in that order just shifted up or down dependant on which key you are in. Learn the jigsaw, then fit it together.
Yes...chormatically. However these are scales and they all fit into one another. What scales have you learnt so far?
Ok i see, the blues and penatonic scales are different from the others, there are 5 patterns for them and the only thing to do is to just memorize them seriously I know it is annoying and seems like...woah, but spend an hour a day on them and by the end of the week I bet you will know them all, then it's a matter of connecting them.

The other scales I mentioned are a bit different from the pentatonics and, once again, it's a matter of learning them. Sorry man but you are just gonna have to get your head down and learn them, they are worth it in the end though, all your mates will drop their jaws and the girls love it haha!

This is gonna sound terrible but here goes....

The reason that D Dorian follows on from C major is because if you play from second note of a C major scale it is the scale formula for D Dorian, both horizontally down the fretboard and vertically.

Eugh I hated saying that but after PRACTICE you will realise it.
yeh i got an idea of wat your saying thanx.... but to be honest for some reason i dont like practicing stuff that has been given to me (dont ask me why) but it must be done
Well when I first got into scales someone told me this concept and I didn't understand what he meant whatsoever so I thought I would do it my way, and I did and then then I thought...whoa this is what he was trying to tell me!

So yeah go your own way about it because learning music is so individual to you, me, and everyone else who dares challenge theirselves, and that is where you get your own style and stuff from, so it's all good!
i usually practice wat i want rather than wat my teacher gives me (which is bad) and i play abit of everything mostly rock n roll , blues , starting abit of country
I'd recommend downloading Zakk Wylde's Pentatonic Hardcore, he gives some pretty advanced tips but it's worth a look.
Quote by striker327
i usually practice wat i want rather than wat my teacher gives me (which is bad) and i play abit of everything mostly rock n roll , blues , starting abit of country

Dude, you have a teacher! DO NOT waste him/her!

Last edited by Your Mother : Today at 03:44 PM