Hey,
My Yamaha F-325 acoustic guitar has been sounding pretty odd. My dad gave me this guitar a while ago for my birthday. On the D-string, everytime I place my fingers on any fret it sounds flat. I didnt notice the sound until my cousin came over and said it didnt sound right. He also has the same guitar. How can I fix this.
maybe new strings are needed?
CO-Founder of the Geddy Lee Fanclub
PM me or RIC4003 to join

Member#15 of the RushClub
and Alex Lifesons biggest fan

Pm Maet to join

Proud Member of the Yes Club
Pm TheHeartbreaker to join
The tuner says its tuned correctly and I have changed the strings twice. It still doesnt sound right.
Last edited by FroznCoffee at Aug 23, 2006,
When you say "slightly"....Would you nknow anything was wrong if you weren't using a tuner?

My acoustic does that on all the strings, but I couldn't care less, cos it's not enough to sound wrong.

And you want to look into earvana nuts, they're supposed to solve this problem, but I'm not sure if you get acoustic versions.
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
intonation might be off
Quote by Muphin
Jupiter is a fat bitch. We should nuke it.

jersey girls arent trash ...trash gets picked up
staten island doesnt really exist its just a reflection of the fumes from jersey on the water caused by the movement of the sun
Quote by FroznCoffee
how much do u think the reapir will cost?

I'm not that sure... but be prepared to pay 5-10$ USD. If the store asks you for about 20$ its a ripoff, probably.
Fender Mex Cyclone HH
**ZOOM G7.1ut**
Yamaha COD-100 Overdrive
Big Muff Pi USA
Danelectro Chorus
Behringer EQ
Dinosaur Heavy Metal

member #4 of the "can't we forget about punk, emo, metal, and all the other subgenres and just ROCK?" group
It depends what is wrong with your guitar, for the price. But I do think it is a good idea to take it to a repair shop, it is hard to diagnose something like that over the internet.
It's probably the intonation. If the open strings is in tune but when you fret it further up the neck it's not in tune, the intonation needs to be adjusted.
Washburn X50 PROFE
Dean Custom 450
Morley PWA Pro Series Wah
Big Muff Rams head
Zoom G2
Ibanez Phase Tone
Randall RG75 G3

Tales of Ale: http://www.talesofale.com
Definitely sounds like an intonation problem. Unfortunately, most acoustics won't let you adjust the string length. Is there a way to fix intonation on acoustics?
Intonation is how long your strings are in relation to your fretboard.

If your strings get sharp the further towards the bridge, then your string is too short, and you need to pull the saddle on that string backwards.

If your strings get flat the further towards the bridge, then your string is to long and you need to push the saddle on that string forwards.
Been away, am back
here you go
http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/intonate.htm

what you have to do:
tune the 6th string to an E, play the 6th string on the 12th fret, if its higher than E, adjust the saddle away from the neck. if its lower than E, adjust the saddle closer to the neck. then do the same on the 5th string, 4th string, etc.

don't forget to retune the retune every time you adjust the bridge, even a little.
Fender Mex Cyclone HH
**ZOOM G7.1ut**
Yamaha COD-100 Overdrive
Big Muff Pi USA
Danelectro Chorus
Behringer EQ
Dinosaur Heavy Metal

member #4 of the "can't we forget about punk, emo, metal, and all the other subgenres and just ROCK?" group
there aren't saddles on many acoustic guitars though. How do you adjust the intonation on those?
oh... i thought you were talking about electrics. i don't know much abot acoustics, but i heard you'll need replace parts and stuff...
Fender Mex Cyclone HH
**ZOOM G7.1ut**
Yamaha COD-100 Overdrive
Big Muff Pi USA
Danelectro Chorus
Behringer EQ
Dinosaur Heavy Metal

aww man.. that sucks for me then. mine is acoustic.

thanks for the info though.
adjusting the intonation for an accoustic requires filing down the bridge, its a very precise and delicate procedure that needs to be done by a pro.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm