Heya.
In about a week Im doing an audition at a college to get on to the music course there, and obviously I will have to play something I know.
But I've been thinking about it and I can't decide what to play? Not as in what song, but more like 'does it have to be technical?' etc? So I was wondering if anyone could give me the heads up of what they'll expect.

Thanks
Well, when I went I played an MCR song. But I guess it was pretty technical.

I can say that they'll be VERY impressed if you play them an original song. A good thing to do is to give them a CD of stuff you've recorded (if you have one). I did that and I got into the course easy

You don't have to play anything wildly technical. I know people who have got in by playing pop-punk. I'd suggest that you play something that sounds impressive, but you can really nail and play perfectly. Then once you've played that, you could ask if you could play something more technical

Brush up on your improvising skills, too, because they'll probably ask you to do some improv over a backing track.

Good luck!
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Start off with a good build up riff then bust out into some lead and play with your teeth i find that helps
Most places want fingerpicked, acoustically played classical pieces. Or would at least prefer them. Most auditioning panels don't give a lot of weight to pop, rock, blues, or other genres that aren't classical. Even jazz might be frowned upon, unless the school has a jazz guitar program.
Hi, I'm Peter
Yeah the thing is that you don't really know what style they want you to play. I'd prepare a couple of pieces in different styles, but all as technically advanced as you can.
Most music courses focus on lots of different genres. If you play something well, they will consider you whatever style of music it is.

What course are you applying for, by the way?
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Most good music schools won't frown upon a certian genre, as long as it is played with talent and passion. A lot of schools have a program for every type of music anyway.
Quote by Dirk Gently
Most places want fingerpicked, acoustically played classical pieces. Or would at least prefer them. Most auditioning panels don't give a lot of weight to pop, rock, blues, or other genres that aren't classical. Even jazz might be frowned upon, unless the school has a jazz guitar program.

Pete, English College is the same as American high school. We're not talking the same kind of expectations.