Gibson studio or epiphone elitist?

I have the budget for any epiphone les paul or gib studio lp guitar. What is better for the money: gibson studio or elitist les paul? I was originally after an epiphone les paul standard plus,until 99% of people on threads have adviced getting an elitist or studio, because of the wood quality,tone etc, but which one?

Preferably i'd like the guitar which has the best lp sound and/or is overall better quality for the money, obviously i don't have enough for the gib std.

There has been alot of opposing views on the topic of epiphones and gibs, and what i'd appreciate is to get the best verdict on which to buy. I have played the studio, sounds vgood,but not the elitist epiphones.

i am more swayed to buy the elitist,am i wrong?
I'd get the Studio, but make sure you play several to find the one that sounds the best.
I would also go for the Studio. As suggested, try as many as you can, as they're not all created equal.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
the elitists are supposed to be built to nearly the same specs as the Gibson standard.. i would probably get the elitist because it would be more like a high-end gibson than te studio would be.. for the most part, high end Epis are usually better than lower end Gibsons
Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
Danno is right, the Studio is a quality instrument, hardly low end. Really, the two Les Pauls are very similar. Practically same woods, same electronics, similar pickups etc. The finishes are different, which has a small impact, but not much of one. I compared similar to the threadstarter, Epiphone Elitist Standard Plus Les Paul (at the store it was $1325 after I showed them the stratches on the back and side) vs Gibson Firebird Studio ($1375 at store). Playing them through the same amp, with the same effects I went with the Firebird because I liked the 490R better than the 50R in the Epiphone (I play predominantly with the neck pickup, so this was a huge factor). Play as many guitars as you can get your hands on and pick the one YOU like best. It may be the Gibson (in my case, they were $300 less than the guitars I ended up deciding between lol) or it may be the Epiphone, either way your getting a very high quality instrument.
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
I've only played a epiphone elistist les paul studio. And the gibson studio of course. I'd say the elitist was better than both the studios i tried. Then again, that elitist might have been a gem, who knows?
Well, just to be like everyone else, here's my rig:

Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Washburn J28SDL

Mesa/Boogie F-50 Combo
I'd be willing to say they're both of about the same quality. Both are great instruments and you can't go wrong either way.
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Marshall JCM900 MKIII Master Volume head
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Ibanez TS-7 (being modded soon!)
well, if you don't really care if it looks amazing, i'd say studio...
but that's just me. see if you can try the epi to see which you like best.
Desert Burst LP Studio >>>>> any Elitist Epi

Desert Burst is the sexiest finish ever.
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Marshall JCM900 MKIII Master Volume head
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Ibanez TS-7 (being modded soon!)
I love the black with chrome finish on my studio..

Either way, i'd recommend the studio.