Ok, now, before I start, let me say that I have downloaded a fair few (last count over 2-3 thousand) MP3s over the years. Only recently have I started to feel a little guilty about it. This article is not a preaching session, just an opinion based on what I see, nothing more, nothing less. Just think about it.

Like many other guitar players on this site I had, and still have, the dream of making it big in the music industry. Playing packed shows in arenas filled with thousands of screaming fans has been a dream of mine since I unwrapped my first guitar six years ago on Christmas Day. Since then I have learned to play a lot, honed my skills and written a whole bunch of songs. After about five years of this, I have finally found a band who are willing to work with me, and we create awesome music. Finally, after five years of training, it appeared I was in with a shot of achieving my dream

So this band and I have been playing for about 5 months and we decide it?s time to head to the studio. Now we are all aged 19-21, and we all dream of making music our career. Music, as I?m sure you know, is ridiculously expensive. Decent guitars cost, at the VERY least, upwards of 500(au) dollars. As a result we all work menial jobs in order to fund our habit. I stack shelves. I stack shelves from 7 till midnight five days a week. I stack shelves from 7 till midnight five days a week then get up and go to university at 9:30. My pay rate is only slightly more than minimum wage. I work very hard at ridiculous times for not very much money, all because I want to play music. So as a direct result of that, I keep enough money in my bank account for when I need/want it, and going into the recording studio definitely qualified. It was only then we found out exactly how much money it was going to cost us

We worked it out that it would cost us about AU$660 each. On my rate of pay I make about 200-300 a week. So, that?s 3-4 weeks of stacking shelves, not spending any money at all. Now, I live at home with mum and dad, so rent isn?t a problem, nor food, but there?s petrol for my car, meals out with my girlfriend and my beautiful, beautiful booze. As you can see, things begin to look very expensive, and I have to stack more shelves in order to raise my rate of pay to make things more manageable. So that?s what I do

While stacking shelves one day my workmate explained that he had just downloaded an old Frenzal Rhomb album, and something inside me clicked. Frenzal Rhomb would have, at least once, gone through what I?m going through now. A lot of young bands do. In order to get noticed, one has to play shows or send out cds. To get shows, one needs recorded material (at least where I am). I don?t have enough money, time or knowledge to do recordings at home, so the studio is really the only option which, as we discussed, is very expensive. So I looked at it and thought that if I?m spending $660 of my own money to get into the studio, and we aren?t doing anything special, then albums that do a lot more in the studio probably cost a LOT more. Bands spend MONTHS in the studio. Imagine a non-label-funded band spending months in the studio at those prices. A non-label-funded band spending that amount of money doing the jobs that we all do, washing dishes, answering phones, stacking shelves.
Then you download their song.

Can you imagine that? If you had spent that amount of money on something, would you give it away for free? Music is not free. The reason music is not free is because EVERYTHING involved costs money, from the equipment to the pressings of the labels to the time of the engineer. In the end I couldn?t justify stealing music because I don?t want to pay the measly 30 bucks for it when it?s costing me so much money to do the same thing.

Ok, that?s all I have right now. I hope this article makes you think about downloading music, and I am well aware that only a minority of people download full albums without buying the original.
nobody really downloads music from small bands anyway. you'll still make sales from CD's at shows and Merch.

by the way, the arctic monkeys apparantly spread their material across P2P networks, Presumably mistagged and the like, and look at them now.
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Last edited by IndieMetalhead at Aug 23, 2006,
I downloaded Luca Turilli by accident when I found Rhapsody, and he's litterally my favorite artist to date.

After downloading, I bought his three CDs.

I have a small techno project I'm screwing around with. I decided that I WILL give out my music. It's going to happen anyway. But here's the catch.

I'm giving it out at 192kb/s. You want to support me, AND get 320kb/s? Buy my CD for 10 bucks.

Usually those too cheap to buy CDs from their favorite bands, won't buy your CDs anyway.
Downloading is a great way to get new band's out there; I wish the record companies would use it to their advantage and have free downloadable sample discs and what not. That way people would be turned on by new artists, and possibly go out to a show, buy a t-shirt and a cd, and everybody wins.
File Sharing is potentially one of the greatest things to happen to new musicians since the advent of the instrument. It provides them with the one thing they require most: Exposure. Free exposure at that.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
An interesting little bit of knowledge I stumbled upon while talking to a producer friend of mine the other day.

More people buy 5 dollar ringtones than they do a 1 dollar song.

Think of the work that goes into a song, think of the work that goes into a ringtone. A ringtone could be just a guy with a midi keyboard and cool edit on his computer. A can require a long time to write, record, mix and master. A ringtone is just 20 seconds of who knows what.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
Yeah, but downloading creates fans. I don't know how many different bands I would download an mp3 for (DragonForce, A.F.I., Anti-Flag, Audioslave, Metallica, Megadeth) and end up buying albums legally. I would also share this "illegal" music with my friends and would get them hooked as well. Music is like a contagious disease. If you get the virus and spread it to your friends, no matter how you get it, you're going to create fans.
^A current example of that. i hear a random song on TV, think nothing of it, and subliminally remember the band name (arcade fire). a few months (literally) later, i see them on TV again playing Wake Up, and seeing that it was them (the random things that pop up sayin the band and song names) i sit and watch. i then went online, onto youtube, and watched it again. my friend who is a big fan of them recommends me some songs. of course, its 9pm, i can't go out and buy the cd. i go onto limewire, download 5 or 6 songs, get hooked onto them, and then i bought the CD shortly after. so wheres the music industry lost out?
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Another point I'd like to add in favor of downloading, most bands or artists start off just wanting to be heard, to perform for people like you said. Downloading exposes you to so many people, making your dream come true. So, really, you acomplished what you set out for. Money is a bitch, but don't be money's bitch.
Quote by IndieMetalhead
^A current example of that. i hear a random song on TV, think nothing of it, and subliminally remember the band name (arcade fire). a few months (literally) later, i see them on TV again playing Wake Up, and seeing that it was them (the random things that pop up sayin the band and song names) i sit and watch. i then went online, onto youtube, and watched it again. my friend who is a big fan of them recommends me some songs. of course, its 9pm, i can't go out and buy the cd. i go onto limewire, download 5 or 6 songs, get hooked onto them, and then i bought the CD shortly after. so wheres the music industry lost out?

Yup, I know what you mean.

It's a common misconception that all the money from a CD sale goes to the artist. People don't realized that when you buy a CD from a record company, all the money goes to Sony or whatever company it is. The record label pays the band based on a contract. But it's not like the 15 dollars I spent on "Rage Against the Machine" is going to go right into Tom Morello's pocket. No way.
Quote by cabbaman98
htis has probebly alredy bin sed.
but yeh thts som good points. But it's a bit obvious anywayz
but i hope u n ur abnd a good life

Learn to type, for gods sake.

And yeah, using internet as a means of recon and then buying it is great... Only there are too much people who do the recon and never bother to buy it. It disgusts me.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Quote by Resiliance

And yeah, using internet as a means of recon and then buying it is great... Only there are too much people who do the recon and never bother to buy it. It disgusts me.

lol yeh sorry i've bin typin for ages its just tht i do try n do it too quickly sometyms. sorry mate lol
a few years back i didn't realy know much about the great band guns n roses. i heard the ads for greatest hits and thought i know some of those songs ill head over to bearshare and get downloading. i then proceeded to buy all 4 of their decent albums (spaghetti incident doesen't count, i didn't even bother downloading that) and bought a t shirt so has my downloading helped the band positively or negatively. much he same has happened with pearl jam and led zeppelin.
i don't know how to tab
Quote by Resiliance

Those that do not buy the CD are the reason why there is a moral question surrounding downloading. I don't agree, with downloading for free, and therefore I get the majority of my NEW music from Itunes.

If you are really interested in trying out music from new bands, and don't want to download, try pandora.com.

It is a great way to hear new stuff.....

It also is supported by the artists and the record companies as a viable alternative.
I hear about a band, if I like them, I buy the CD.

If not, I delete the mp3s and get involved in that band no more. I downloaded "A Gunshot To The Head Of Trepidation" by Trivium. Since then, I have bought Ember To Inferno, Ascendancy (twice, lost the first copy), and am going to buy the Crusades. They lose a song I could get for around 50 pence. In return, they get 3 (soon to be 4) CD sales, a sweatband, t-shirt, 2 poster sales and me pointing Trivium out to countless other people.

Sounds fair to me.
R E G G A E
Quote by Desk Jocky
Those that do not buy the CD are the reason why there is a moral question surrounding downloading. I don't agree, with downloading for free, and therefore I get the majority of my NEW music from Itunes.

If you are really interested in trying out music from new bands, and don't want to download, try pandora.com.

It is a great way to hear new stuff.....

It also is supported by the artists and the record companies as a viable alternative.

I don't want to buy albums with 3 or 4 good tracks. I download, if I like, I buy, if I don't, I delete it and move on.

I also don't buy things from iTunes or buy mp3's, I need my physical copy of the record!
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Lol, it seems like no one's agreeing with the threadstarter...
Quote by IndieMetalhead

That happens to me all the time

I do download a bit of music, but if the band is ever half decent after my next pay check i go out and buy a cd, and sometimes a shirt, and if the timing is right tickets to a show. downloading music has exposed me to alot more music than ever. I've purchased more cds now than ever
Success comes to very few bands and there is the art of self promotion which is the footwork to getting gigs and rustling up some interest in your music. On your tight recording budget you could only get demo quality anyway ( unless you already have a good producer/ engineer working for you on the cheap) Perhaps you could have named your band and linked it to myspace then you would of at least stirred up an interest in your music. Try before you buy.!! Idon,t feel guilty at all.. P.S if you happen to record your sounds I would download them.
the point of the article was supposed to be that while a lot of bands can afford to give away free mp3's, bands like mine really can't. we've put a few songs up, (posting the link so you guys can hear what that money buys) but we came to the decision that if we "released" the first two singles then charged like, five bucks for the cd with three other tracks on there, we would be better off than uploading them all

www.myspace.com/therumourmill
I guess you just have to get a really good following, and aim to sell a lot of stuff at shows.
Good luck
Absinthe maketh the heart grow fonder