I'm looking for a new amp. Something in the $200-400 price range. I've tried the Orange and it sounds good but a little bit low on wattage for my needs(small gigs). I've heard good things about the Peavey, though and it being 65w for less than $300 could be a steal. I play alt-metal, prog, pop-punk, alternative, post-hardcore, those kinds of stuff. Which of the two is better? Or can you recommend me any other amp in my price range? Thanks.
Fender Lite Ash Tele/Hamer SATF<--Korg DT-10<Zvex Super Hard On<Digitech Bad Monkey<MI Audio Crunchbox<Pro Co "Keeley" Rat<Line 6 M13<<--Marshall JTM60 1x12 Combo
I'm all about the Peavey, but I would recommend saving up the extra $50 or so and getting a Bandit instead of the Studio Pro. The Bandit has a much better speaker (Sheffield 1230) and just sounds better.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
ya crunch but isnt it one of those hybrid crap amps probably smarter to save up and get a XXX or a 5150 combo
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
I'm pretty sure the Peavey is all solid-state. Both the preamp and poweramp are designed to emulate a tube sound.

From Peavey's website:
Peavey's exclusive and patented TransTube® technology really does create the sound, warmth, and 'push back' of a tube amplifier, utilizing solid-state amplification.

I have one and used it for the longest time before getting something bigger. It's a good amp with a good tone. I haven't tried the Orange but I'll vote for the Peavey. It's a decent amp for the price.
IMO the Peavey Transtube series sound very very nice for a solid state amp.

Haven't tried the Orange.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
^^ The crush is a good sounding small combo. Its not gig worthy, practice certainly. Havent tried the peavey so cant help you there
Gear
PRS Standard SE
Laney GH100L with Marhsall 1960BV
Digitech Bad monkey
Marshall EH1
EHX Small stone
EHX Small clone
Quote by Syn Harvest
ya crunch but isnt it one of those hybrid crap amps probably smarter to save up and get a XXX or a 5150 combo

It's not hybrid, but solid state. And it's a good amp. He needs an amp now, which is why I recommended the step up from the Studio Pro to the Bandit. 5150 / xxx would be better, but they're also a lot more expensive.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

I have a studio Pro it has VERY nice cleans but the distortion isnt suitable for metal only rock and blues... maybe if you change the speaker or something...
I used the Modern and High Gain distortion settings with my Bandit, and other than the speaker, they sound pretty much the same on the Studio Pro. And I would never have my gain past 6. I got ample distortion for any metal.

Check out the link to my band in my sig and go the Media > Songs. All our Metallica covers from Master of Puppets (New) and back were recorded using my Bandit (Am I Evil was recorded on a Crate) with no external effects, just amp distortion.

^HOLY ****! thats nice distortion, give me settings man!!!??? lol serious tho!!
@metallicman80
Read it once more. "...$200-$400 price range.". I meant any amp within that budget that suits me. The orange sits on $200.

On-topic, the Bandit is priced at about $380($100 more than the Studio Pro) but a little too unecessary on wattage. If it sounds considerably better than the Studio Pro I might get it instead. Is the "better" sound worth $100 more than the Studio Pro?
Fender Lite Ash Tele/Hamer SATF<--Korg DT-10<Zvex Super Hard On<Digitech Bad Monkey<MI Audio Crunchbox<Pro Co "Keeley" Rat<Line 6 M13<<--Marshall JTM60 1x12 Combo
Quote by False_God
^HOLY ****! thats nice distortion, give me settings man!!!??? lol serious tho!!

I haven't had my Bandit in about 2 years now, so I don't remember my exact settings. However I know that I 'found my tone' when I discovered that turning down the gain improved the sound drastically. WIth my EMG-equipped guitars, I would have the gain on about 5-6, and at 7 with passive pickups. I usually used the Modern or High Gain voicing. I think all the covers I did except Of Wolf and Man used Modern, and for Wolf, I used the High Gain setting.

The trick to dialing in a really nice sound on those amps is to start with the volume low, and find your sound. Start with the T-Dynamics set at about 65%. As you increase the volume, decrease the T-Dynamics PROPORTIONALLY TO THE VOLUME INCREASE, and it will maintain the same tone as the volume increases

Quote by C40.is.hot
@metallicman80On-topic, the Bandit is priced at about $380($100 more than the Studio Pro) but a little too unecessary on wattage. If it sounds considerably better than the Studio Pro I might get it instead. Is the "better" sound worth $100 more than the Studio Pro?

I tried the Bandit and Studio Pro side-by side. The Bandit definately sounds better. The extra Presence control gives extra tonal control, and the better Sheffield 1230 speaker makes a big difference in sound too. Blue Marvel speakers are ok, but they don't compare to Peavey's Sheffilds. The extra 15W of power is actually meaningless and will give no perceivable increase in volume. You'd have to move to a 130W amp from a 65W to get a 3 dB increase in volume. 3 dB is the smallest volume increment the average human ear can detect.

And you can find the Bandits used for as low as $250. Check out ebay.

Sorry, but take note I'll still be using it(Bandit or SP) often inside my home but it lacks a headphone jack. Will it still sound the same on lower volumes? Possibly .5/10 ? I'll be gigging on occasion.
Bandit sounds great at low volumes. The only time sounds starts to deteriorate is wtih the master volume above 6. And it's so loud at that point there's really no reason to ever turn it that loud. Even at beand practice, I'd only have the volume at about 4.

Quote by C40.is.hot
@metallicman80
Read it once more. "...$200-$400 price range.". I meant any amp within that budget that suits me. The orange sits on $200.

On-topic, the Bandit is priced at about $380($100 more than the Studio Pro) but a little too unecessary on wattage. If it sounds considerably better than the Studio Pro I might get it instead. Is the "better" sound worth $100 more than the Studio Pro?

I read that. I thought it was an Orange AD series. Those things are rediculously expensive.
I've just checked out the Peavey website and I think they replaced the Sheffield 1230s with Blue Marvels. If this is the case, would it still be worth buying, tone-wise?
They have a new Bandit. They've changed it cosmetically, but I also notice there's no longer a T-Dynamics or Resonance switch either... And now there's a boost knob... I didn't see this one coming...

Now I can't speak for this new amp. The one I'm talking about is the previous model to this one, which should still be widely available.

Would you say that the new Bandit is a downgrade from the old one?
In terms of the speaker, I'd say it is. That in itself isn't a show-stopper. But I can't comment on the rest of the new amp since I haven't tried it. And who knows. The new Blue Marvel speaker may be the same as the old Sheffield too. Sheffield and Blue Marvel are both Peavey's own speakers, so they can do anything they want with it...