As a child and my parents being majour hippies I didn't have the typical childhood introduction to music. I grew up listening heavily to Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, Alan Parson Project, Genesis, Deep Purple, The Yardbirds, The Beatles and so on. I still love most if not all these bands and still avidly listen to their stuff. However, I'm quite disappointed to say that in my travels so far I haven't found any music produced by any more modern artists, that is put together to thoughtfully and are comparable by talent. It seems like anyone who can even remotely play an instrument gets a record contract these days (not to offend anyone I have respect for all musicians, simply for their shared passion). However, my question remains why? Is it simply because our definition of music has changed dramatically from creating beautiful masterpieces (albums like The Wall, Physical Graffiti etc. I know there are many others I'm just naming my favourites) instead now the norm seems to be your average Chingy song. Or is it because there aren't talented musicans anymore like Page, Gilmour, Hendrix, Knopfler, Clapton and so forth? and if so why? ...Thanks everyone for your time and input

...Cheers
Last edited by pimnation at Aug 23, 2006,
im sure they are out there...its just a matter of art vs business and business wins
Quote by GuitarHobbiest
What exactly is a powerchord?

Quote by laid_to_waste
My trouser snake is friendly. If you pet him, he might even do a trick! think I'm going to hell for that one.
Want to know why you can't find modern artists that are good?

You don't look deep enough.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Could very well be, but I have over 10 000 songs in iTunes and probably over 2000 cd's I'd say I listen to a lot of music. But you're right I may not be looking in the right place. However, in the past I've overcome the problem by just making my own music. It might suck, but listening to a song you composed entirely yourself is somewhat rewarding I'd say. Thanks for your input dudes!
Aggrolites
Al Baker
Angel City Outcasts
The Antics
The Aquabats
The Arrogant Sons of Bitches
Authority Zero
Avail
Avenged Sevenfold
The Beerleaders
Big D & the Kids Table
The Black Crowes
The Black Keys
Black Label Society
Blanks 77
Bomb the Music Industry!
Bombshell Rocks
The Bones
Born To Lose
The Bouncing Souls
Brain Failure
Catch 22
Cheap Sex
Chris Murray
Common Rider
The Darkness
Demented Are Go
Die Hunns
Discipline
Dream Theater
Dropkick Murphys
The Ergs
The Explosion
Faraquet
The Forces of Evil
A Global Threat
The Heartbreak Engines
Hoobastank
Horrorpops
Iconoclast
Immortal Technique

I'll edit this with more when I come back.
this argument as been made 1000 times before by people who just signed up like, and again you like the rest of them are wrong
Oh shut the fuck up please?

There is plenty of good music out there, you just want there to be none, so you can talk about how superior your bands are.

I suggest you look into opeth, with an open mind it is easy to get into and great music.

Stop being a whiney little bitch.
Quote by DanRev
I suggest you look into opeth, with an open mind it is easy to get into and great music.

And definately look into Dream Theater as well

And Tool...

And Muse...
I think what he means is "Why is there no talented music in the mainstream?", which he is pretty much right. Bands like Tool, Opeth, etc are all popular but i wouldn't call them mainstream.
wow ... sorry like I said I did not mean to offend anyone ... and I definitely never would assume my taste in music is better than anyone else's ... in truth I don't believe there is a good or bad taste in music. However when people take thoughts such as these so personally it worries me that the whole concept of music is all but lost. Sorry to have bothered you and I will refrain from posting on UG from now on. Sorry for any inconvenience.
Quote by Spamwise
I think what he means is "Why is there no talented music in the mainstream?", which he is pretty much right. Bands like Tool, Opeth, etc are all popular but i wouldn't call them mainstream.

Tool are most definetly mainstream, at least by rock standards.

Mainstream music has never been truly talented. In the 70's you had bands like Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Van Halen, ect., but the "popular" music at the time was disco. For every band that we remember as being greatly influential to rock music, there are 10 others that no one remembers.

In the end, the truly unique bands/musicians are the ones that are remembered. Does anyone honestly think Fall Out Boy or Hawthorne Heights are going to be remembered 20 years from now the way a band like Black Sabbath or Queen are remembered now?
thank you scourge ... I appreciate your input ... and I fully agree .. I'm glad not everyone reading this is an angry brit telling me to F$@K OFF ... lol