My tone knob seems to be broken. Compared to other basses (mine's a Squier P Bass) my bass can't do nearly as much with the tone knob. I can hear a tiny difference, but not much. Does anyone know what the problem is with the tone knob and does anyone know how to fix it?
A Squier P Bass won't have a very good tone controll compared to let's say a Fender. Turning the tone knobs on my old strat-knockoff guitar didin't have as much effect as turning the tone nobs on my Dean.
Washburn X50 PROFE
Dean Custom 450
Morley PWA Pro Series Wah
Big Muff Rams head
Zoom G2
Ibanez Phase Tone
Randall RG75 G3

Tales of Ale: http://www.talesofale.com
yea its cuz the pickups on your bass are terrible and have no versatility at all, that bass basically does not need a tone knob
yeah i hear the pots on them are just not very good (as with many beginner instruments)
Quote by slayaplaya

(oh! maybe some one will sig that witty comment! maybe not...)
replace the electronics with better ones.
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Or instead of putting in new electronics, save your money for a new bass, putting new electronics in a Squire would be like actually listening to your guitarist, what's the point?
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
My Squier P bass special sounds just as good as my Jackson P, ( well almost ),the thing with the pots are they need cleaned once in a while. I get some tuner cleaner from the local electronics store and shoot alittle juice in them and turn them as fast as I can to knock off any carbon scoring, dirt, sweat,beer or anyother crap that works its way in them, it would surprise you the amount of crap that can get in them.
Quote by Kamistan
i have a ****ty bass so squirer tone sounds lovely to me.

...... ......... I'm sorry....
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
I have the same problem on my squier... but I don't use the tone knob on that bass anyway so it doesn't matter to me. Getting a new knob won't cost you much. $1,5 max. Just make sure you get one that has the same specs: linear or logarithmic and the right resistance
Quote by John Swift
My neighbour bought his son a Mark Hoppus bass for Christmas, the set-up on it was terrible (the neck had so much bow they should have supplid arrows with it).

Its nice to be important, but its important to be nice...
Quote by XnaKedblinkFrek
Under the Tone Knob should be a loose Wire u need to soder Back together.

i doubt that very much, you'd probrably be getting more symptoms then it not being very resposnisve.
Quote by slayaplaya

(oh! maybe some one will sig that witty comment! maybe not...)
actually, i had a problem just like that, my squier fuzzed in and out, and when i opened it up it was a loose wire, so i soddered it back and now it works fine