ok, well Im sort of an ok-ish intermediate guitarist and ive recently been trying to expand the number of chords i know. It seems to me that the best way of doing it is really to learn the theory, such as how to form chords. Is it better to do it like this and if so, can anyone recommend me a good way to learn this, because Im very bad at theory stuff
yeah id like to know too
[Member of the Ibanez S Players Club.] Pm striketalonx to join

Ibanez SA1260
Ibanez RGA8 w/DiMarzio PAF8s
Ibanez JS1200CA
Ibanez S470IB w/DiMarzio Tonezone (Bridge)
Laney LC50 Mark II
Boss ME-70
Theory can be very important, depending on the musician. It lets you be able to communicate with other musicians effectively. Its a a great tool to use to help make your music more interesting and creative.

Some ways to learn : learn to play piano (probably with a teacher), and do theory through that - then it all very easily transfers to guitar. If you find classical piano boring for the most part, tell your teacher that you want to do a different style of music - but continue with theory and regular technique stuff.

Or read some lessons or books. A great introduction to many aspects of theory is this

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/for_beginners/learning_music_theory_the_beginning.html

Its rather large, maybe duanting at first, but its an amazing lesson and its free!

Remember that theory isn't the rules of music, and try not to let it take over your playing. Such as, if you are playing a song in the key of C, and you NEVER play an accidental becuase its "not allowed". Good luck
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour
ian444 is right. I look at theory like a stencil, if you use a stencil you'll have an easier time drawing and it'll make everything better overall, unless you can't trace around a shape. Theory is the same way its a guidline to help write music. I got almost every guitarist I know to learn theory and they are all a lot better now. Also the thing about piano at first I thought was BS but now I take paino, but now I see it helps a lot when you think about theory in general.
SPAM
Stock Gibson Pickups from a 2005 V, I think they're a 498T and 500T set FS/FT
Duncan Distortion (regular spaced) FS

Looking for: an acoustic, recording gear, or $