I've been hammering on my bass for the last half decade and am beginning to lose interest in Metal/Hard Rock and am playing a lot more blues and trying to learn Jazz. The only problem is I can never figure out the proper structure for play any kind of Jazz bassline. I know a moderate amount of theory from my various travels but cannot break through into the Jazz domain.

If anyone has any advice lemme know.

Cheers
24 BEER A DAY
EV'RY DAY
For traditional walking jazz basslines, try to pick out notes that form or relatee to the current chord. A good way to start is playing quarter note roots to learn the progression, then walk up and down the chords through the progression and then start adding in what sounds good to you and fits the feel of the song and what the soloist is doing. Some great classic players to listen to are Ray Brown, Paul Chambers and Ron Carter. These guys are the masters at walking. If you wantmore fusion or modern stuff all I can say is check out Headhunters, Jaco Pastorious/WEather Report, or Mahavishnu Orchestra.
I'm starting to learn theory for Jazz as well. So here is some stuff for you.

Start with Arpeggios with some Triads like the major, minor, diminished, and augmented triads. Then once you understand them go on to the 7ths like Major7, Dominant7, Minor7, Half-Diminished7, Full-Diminished7, and Augmented7.

P.S. I'll post some more stuff later, like which notes are in the triads ect.
arpeggio and chromatic runs if you want to do walking basslines, fusion is do whatever the hell you want to basically lol
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
O.K. Here is some stuff for you:

[Diagram legend: The top numbers are the fret numbers. The bottom numbers are what fingers you use(you don't have to but it's good to start out with those finger settings). R = Root , 2 = 2nd , 3 = 3rd , 4 = 4th , 5 = 5th , 6 = 6th , 7 = 7th , 8 = 8th(octave). b = flat | # = sharp | > = Triad . What i have after the R 3 5 8 ect. is what the chorst symbol will look like on a sheet of music.]

I will do this lesson in the key of G.

Major scale: R 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

2       3       4       5
|- - - -|- - - -|- - - -|- - - -|
|- -6- -|- - - -|- -7- -|- -8- -|
|- -3- -|- -4- -|- - - -|- -5- -|
|- - - -|- -R- -|- - - -|- -2- -|
    1       2       3       4

Major Triad: R 3 5 8 | G , GMaj> , GM> , G(little triangle)>

2       3       4       5
|- - - -|- - - -|- - - -|- -8- -|
|- -3- -|- - - -|- - - -|- -5- -|
|- - - -|- -R- -|- - - -|- - - -|

Minor Triad: R b3 5 8 | G- , Gmin> , Gm>

3       4       5       6
|- - - -|- - - -|- -8- -|- - - -|
|- - - -|- - - -|- -5- -|- - - -|
|- -R- -|- - - -|- - - -|- b3- -|

Diminished Triad: R b3 b5 8 | Go>(when the circle has a line threw it it is half-diminshed , Gmin>b5 , G->(b5)

3       4       5       6
|- - - -|- - - -|- -8- -|- - - -|
|- - - -|- b5- -|- - - -|- - - -|
|- -R- -|- - - -|- - - -|- b3- -|

Augmented Triad: R 3 #5 8 | G+ , G+>

0       1       2       3
|- -8- -|- - - -|- - - -|- - - -|
|- - - -|- #5- -|- - - -|- - - -|
|- - - -|- - - -|- -3- -|- - - -|
|- - - -|- - - -|- - - -|- -R- -|

If you want the 7ths Arpeggios PM me and I'll PM them to you.
Last edited by Greenday389 at Aug 24, 2006,
There's not a "proper" structure. It's constant improvisation for the most part. Here's a Hierarchy of importance for notes to be played in a bassline.

1.Root
2.5th
3.3rd and 7ths

Now the main things you'll be using are the chords tones and some scale lines. Sometimes chromatic lines. Also keep in mind that normally, a bassline should look like this.../\/\/\/\/\...on a sheet of music. It should GO UP AND UP AND UP and then release and go back down.

Remember these aren't rules, just tips!