anyone know anywhere I can get a list of natural harmonics and what note they are for use in solos etc, i fancy jus doing somethign a bit different
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
they are the same as on a guitar(5,7,12) but you can also do 3,17, 24(if you have 24), and about where a 36th fret would be there is one(maybe more but I don't use them)
I use 3, 4, 5, 7, 9, 12, 24, 17, 18, 19 and also some not on the fretboard right in front of my pickups. Of course some of these harmonics are the same, just located in a different position.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
lol i know where there are harmonics but i was wondering what notes these are like the one at 12th 24th are th same as the open string
Founder of Jaco society

the one on the 12th is the same note as the 12th fret and for the others you could use a guitar tuner I think it'd work
On the low e-string the 7th fret harmonic is a B (a fifth) i know that from tuning my guitar with harmonics

5th fret is a E again same as 24th

All the harmonics (that i'm aware of) are 5th's or octaves (except artificials of course)
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
7th on a A is the same as fifth on the E, so its an A, i think.
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
done it by using tuner and seeing what notes it says
ill do it by frets
1st fret doesn't last long enough to use and wont get picke up by my tuner
2nd fret is the 2nd fret note up 2 octaves i think maybe 3
3rd fret is just the octave of the string i think sounding the same as if played over a 36th fret
4th fret is the 4th fret
5th fret double octave of open string
6th fret is faint but is a tone lower than open string but up an octave - dominant 7
7th fret is the 5th up an octave
8th fret is a 4th up an octave
9th fret is the major 3rd of the string eg on g string is b etc
10th fret is that note up the octave
11th fret has no noticeable harmonic

welcome for any corrections or any other known notes of harmonics
please note im not exactly sure of these notes cos its late and i'm tired
Founder of Jaco society

Technically there is a natural harmonic at every single point on each string. The hard part is getting them to sound.
Just off the cuff, if I recall correctly....

5th fret, 12th fret, 24th fret = root
4th fret = third
3rd fret = fifth
7th fret, 19th fret = fifth (but an octave lower than 3rd fret)
9th fret = third
16 fret = third

Bumper is basically right, except to argue a semantic.... There is a natural harmonic at every point on the string that is a "natural" fraction. The more natural the fraction, the easier it will be to play the harmonic.

12th fret = 1/2 way point of string. Dead easy...
5th fret = 1/4 way
24th fret = 3/4 way
7th fret = 1/3 way
19th fret = 2/3
4th fret = 1/5
9th fret = 2/5
16th fret = 3/5
3rd fret = 1/6 (close...actually a little ahead of the third fret?)

... that sort of thing....

Sure, you can get harmonics in other places, but the one at 7/16 of the string will be just that much harder to get than the one at 3/8.

Chris
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Last edited by axemanchris at Aug 24, 2006,
Another way of looking at it:

On any given string, you will get the root, at some octave or another in the following places:

fifth fret = 1/4 point of string
twelfth fret = 2/4 point of string
24th fret = 3/4 point of string

You will get the third, at some octave or another in the following places:

fourth fret = 1/5 of string
ninth fret = 2/5 of string
sixteenth fret = 3/5 of string
4/5 of string will also give you a third, but is after the last fret, no matter how many frets you have.... remembering the 24th fret is the 3/4 mark of the string

You will get the fifth, at some octave or another in the following places:

third fret = 1/6
seventh fret = 1/3 (2/6)
....3/6 = 1/2, which is the root, not a fifth....see above
nineteenth fret = 2/3 (4/6)

Chris

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Thanks!

CT

^ thanks for that
Founder of Jaco society

a good sample of harmonics is "amazing grace" by victor right? im going to start practicing them too ^_^
HUMP|de|BUMP
If you have the bandwidth and disk space, check this pickup out:

http://www.q-tuner.com/download.shtml

I have never heard harmonics like this on a bass played with such clarity. The neodymium magnets are so strong and so focused in magnetic flux, they transduce bell-like harmonic qualities from the bass strings. I'd love to get a set of these for my fretless, but I can't afford them. Enjoy the piece though--it is amazing what harmonic know-how can get you.
Jaco de Lucia.

The Zen of Duh: How low can you go? Zero Hertz. That's the lowest anyone can go. Just turn off your bass amp and not play.

Q-tuner PUs (0X0 configuration) and HG Thor Labs for the best fretless bass tone. MWAH FACTOR!!!
one of hatebreed's links was a part of John Myung's Progressive Bass Concepts video. right before that part he explains the harmonics, like at 12th, 9th, 7th, 5th frets, right below the 4th fret, right above the 3rd fret, right below the 3rd fret and right above the 2nd fret. also gives tips to find the main ones easier when playing.

(forgive me for not writing down here all he explains there, my english is not good enough for that)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krqJTdohKH0

At around 3 minutes there's some more harmonics, plus it's a beautiful bassline I think, I don't think he explains much about harmonics in this, I haven't wathced the whole thing in a while.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
looks pretty good
i'll see if i can find it in a local music shop
Founder of Jaco society

does anyone know a good song for harmnics other that PoT? I want one which is mainly harmonics, maybe with some fretted...whatever, as long as it is based around harmonics. I am doing pretty well with PoT now and i am beginning to create some of my own little riffs, but would like another song to practice.

cheers
Quote by Applehead
does anyone know a good song for harmnics other that PoT? I want one which is mainly harmonics, maybe with some fretted...whatever, as long as it is based around harmonics. I am doing pretty well with PoT now and i am beginning to create some of my own little riffs, but would like another song to practice.

cheers

continuum has some nice harmonics too. check out a bassist called Joseph Patrick Moore, he has an album out called alone together where he just layers his bass tracks and makes some cool riffs. a lot of its good, some it its a bit tedious.

his style is very similar to Jaco's in a lot of ways, and you'll hear a lot of harmonic work.

and of course, victor wooten uses a lot of harmonics in norwegian wood and the vision.
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."