I'm startin some serious hardcore playing on my Gibson and I was wondering if you guys could recommend some challenging hardcore songs on guitar. Im not new to guitar if you've checked out my tabs but I just haven't learned any hardcore yet. Thanks.
Last edited by jakemac at Aug 23, 2006,
the last minute or so in Selkies:the Endless Obsession by Between the Buried and Me. some legendary sweeping there. Alaska by them too. in fact, pretty much anything by BTBAM is bloody hard, especially to coordinate between two guitars.
My Current Equipment:

ESP LTD EX-260
Ibanez GRX70
Laney HCXMR15
Boss MT-2
Quote by se7en_666
the last minute or so in Selkies:the Endless Obsession by Between the Buried and Me. some legendary sweeping there. Alaska by them too. in fact, pretty much anything by BTBAM is bloody hard, especially to coordinate between two guitars.

What he said.
august burns red. what makes it hard (for me anyways) is its fast as hell.
Quote by J Lock
Good.
Cause if not, we'd peer pressure you till you cried.
Then we'd bro-rape you.

I have to agree with the earlier posters and say that most songs by Between the Buried and Me would be good picks. Alaska is a specific one.
Between the Buried and Me's rhythm work is much harder to play than their sweeping is. At least for me.
Quote by JobForACowboy
um, yes it is.

sry if you havent heard of it, death metal bands that wear girl jeans = emodeath
Protest the Hero - Blindfolds Aside. That riff in the intro is pretty hard to play, especially when trying to keep up with the actual recording.
Tiger style.
^ha

anyway yeah pull the name of a DEP song out of a hat and i garuntee(sp?) its hard to play in some way
Originally posted by thestrumbum
the scream is so powerfull. my balls started two steppin.
^^
well...unretrofied? that's pretty easy...even the breakdown with the weird chords. but yeah, granted that their other stuff is pretty damn tough. setting fire to sleeping giants has a mighty difficult guitar line.
My Current Equipment:

ESP LTD EX-260
Ibanez GRX70
Laney HCXMR15
Boss MT-2
^haha i knew someone was going to go find a simple song by DEp just to prove me wrong....whatever you get my point
Originally posted by thestrumbum
the scream is so powerfull. my balls started two steppin.
also august burns red, theyve been mentioned.

black dahlia murder maybe, not really hardcore though

if you wanna stray even farther from hardcore, try the fall of troy
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
Quote by Craigo
Actually, Dillinger is pretty easy to play.

BTBAM I'd say, even though it sounds corny coping everyone else who said it.

Yeah but its difficult compared to Minor Threat and the Free Jazz solos are quite hard.
Quote by StuartR
Dillinger Escape Plan, no doubt.

What he said. All the jazz breaks and stuff can get pretty crazy. Sunshine the Werewolf, just to name one.

Other than that, I don't really know much that's all that difficult.
Quote by ShredtoBed
Dude.
The gore of killing animals is supposed to scare you out of eating meat.
That and drop Q tuning with pig squeels

^^^Hahaha I like your "Metalcore Formula" Panasonic.

I also think that Dillinger isn't all to hard to play...and I'm going to have to copy off of everyone else and say that Between the Buried and Me songs would contain some of the most difficult hardcore riffs. Mainly the sweeping. And everything is just all over the place and fast as hell. Mighty good though!
Yes, Between the Buried and me have some crazy stuff. So does Dillinger. Trying playing some Grind though. Unveil Nevaeh Listen to the song, Mummifaction Process and try and play it. Hahaha

Also try and play some of Embrace The End's lines, they aren't super hard techinically, but they require like constant hand movement, there aren't any stops really. You have to have a lot of endurance.

The hardest thing for me about August Burns Red, is the timing, it can get really weird at points.
Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia- Fear of long words.
Last edited by XQuickDeathX at Aug 25, 2006,
Quote by Panasonic Youth
What he said. All the jazz breaks and stuff can get pretty crazy. Sunshine the Werewolf, just to name one.

Other than that, I don't really know much that's all that difficult.

Hmm... Suppose. In generalities, I think Dillinger is pretty fun to play though, and MOST of it is fairly easy.
thanx guys ill get straight onto some BTBAM songs, they sound quite good.....
Um everyone has already mentioned the best recommendations so lemme sum it up for you

BTBAM
The Fall of Troy
Psyopus
Protest the hero

aslo try for starters

common Yet Forbidden
Mortal treason
War from a harlots mouth
Hard Times by Cro-mags. lolz. That should take you all of a minute to learn.
Ride the dragon toward the crimson eye...

Vaginal Destruction

^ Do you like sludgey stoner/doom? Well then you should try Vaginal Destruction
I was never able to figure out out to play "Thaw" by Converge either.
Tiger style.
psyopus songs where you hit a note and beart the piss out of the whammy bar are fun lol...not like its really on topic or anything....

whoever said BDM....i find their songs largely easy ....theres alot of other stuff that gives me a much harder time. PTH recently has blown my mind for difficulty...naturally the fun songs are hard lol...****.
hardcore is nothing but power chords its easy as hell

your looking for more of the metal influnced music
If looks could kill, my charm will scatter faceless dead bodies, everywhere
Quote by Gomorrah
Between the Buried and Me's rhythm work is much harder to play than their sweeping is. At least for me.

Even though I don't dig DEP, 43% Burnt is ridiculously hard. There's (since I'm not at all good at musical theory/reading) a, for lack of a better word, WAVE of harmonics on the fifth fret. By wave I mean it hits a string, adds another, adds another, takes away, etc etc, bloody fast too.

BTBAM, yeah. Paul is pretty amazing. Still getting the sweeping down on Alaska :X.
If you want really hard melodic guitar work, try Black Dahlia (its really really fast), Necrophagist, All Shall Perish, Arsis and The Faceless.

If you want really technical guitar work, hit up Ion dissonance, BTBAM, The Red Chord, Beneath the Massacre, Behold...The Arctopus, Psyopus, DEP.

Master any of that and you will be a god amongst mortals.
Quote by werty22
They're not talking about hardcore punk, they're talking about "hardcore." It has little in common with its roots in the '80s.

Quote by recklessnick
when i ask questions. people reply with a stupid green smiley face sign

Heres lookin to you
Quote by guitarwannabe16
If you want really hard melodic guitar work, try Black Dahlia (its really really fast), Necrophagist, All Shall Perish, Arsis and The Faceless.

If you want really technical guitar work, hit up Ion dissonance, BTBAM, The Red Chord, Beneath the Massacre, Behold...The Arctopus, Psyopus, DEP.

Master any of that and you will be a god amongst mortals.

Yeah try some of TRC's stuff from their new cd. It's sick. I recommend Send the Death Storm.
Equipment:
Epiphone Les Paul Classic Quiltop
Line 6 Spider III 75W Combo (For Sale )
Dunlop Crybaby GCB-95 (For Sale

Looking for:
Blackheart Little Giant Half-stack
Try the solo from "I Won't See You Tonight Pt.2" by Avenged Sevenfold.

My God, I have no ida what the **** is goin on there....