Page 1 of 2
What Im talking about is when you are learning a new song that is above your current skill level and you find that you are having especial difficulty with it. Do you persevere right to the bitter end? Of course by the time you get it all down it will not be bitter, you will be proud of yourself.

I have to say that when I learn a song I generally go through it until I find I cannot learn a part in under half an hour. At which point I work on it and if it doesnt come through I take a break and move onto a different song.

Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.
ill usually get to a part and if i cant learn it in under half an hour ill take a break from playing that perticular part for about an hour and if when i come back to it i still cant play it then i say **** it its too hard
when my fingers start to bleed

IT doesn't take as long as you'd think...especially as when i'm frustrated it press harder

Unless something is blatently too difficult for me i wouldn't perservere with satch boogie after only playing for a week or something stupid like that
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
if you get stumped with something, anything in life even, the best way is not to pound thru it, take a break, like you said, (but that break can be a few months!) next time you try it'll prolly be easier, if not, try another break
i just try the part over and over again for 10-20 minutes. usually works for me. if not, yeah take a break and try it later.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
if the tab is something like 1515151512425051215202421242421

or, if i dont get at least a very small section of it in under 10 mins
Member #15 of the 'Guitarists born in 1991 club' PM blues_rocker greendayguitar or gdm09 to join.
Quote by cockzit
I also told a girl I knew how to make bombs and I was suspended from school. I hate snitches, I swear.

LOLZNESS
I stop when the pickup screws shoot throught my nostrils and into my brain, and when my guitar grows legs and arms and starts attacking me, screaming 'stop playing me!'

Which pretty much means that I never stop playing.
?You can't always write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say, so sometimes you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream.? - Frank Zappa 1940 - 1993
Quote by doive
when my fingers start to bleed

IT doesn't take as long as you'd think...especially as when i'm frustrated it press harder

Unless something is blatently too difficult for me i wouldn't perservere with satch boogie after only playing for a week or something stupid like that

Bleeding fingers!?..........never stopped me I remember at one rehearsal during Highway to hell the electricity went off then when it came back on i looked at my hand and thought "****!" It was covered in blood! I just wiped it on a doll I found lying around, our drummers lil sistewr probably got scared when she saw it again!

another dream
i was taking a shower
and i took my penis off to wash it
but i couldnt figure out how to put it back on
so it ran away- Superunkown
beatiful anecdote
what do i do when i see an insanely difficult part in a song? i break it up and analyze my left and right hands separately to spot what is causing the problems...then i isolate the difficulty by creating variations of exercises that will help me overcome the problem...from there, i take the part and practice it slow enough to play perfectly (to a metronome of course) and build it up to speed

the best thing to do at a time like this is to preserve and take it slow...you don't want to just accumulate the infamous stack of tabs that you never finish (which i admit that i did when starting to learn songs) - push through and practice correctly
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
Quote by UNIe
When I see sweep picking

Hahahah. I have been practicing sweeping, it is probably one of the first thing on guitar that I am really having trouble at learning. So yeah, sweeping is one of the only things I give up on sometimes.
Break it up and practice slowly in my spare guitar time. Then come back to the entire thing later.
When I just can't learn something note for note, I just improvise.

IE Little Wing
Quote by paulefty
Dr. No I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!
I say forget this, smoke on the water is a dumb song any way.
If you love god, burn a church.- Jello Biafra

Think not that I am come to send peace on earth; I came not to send peace, but a sword. -- Jesus

The war on global warming will go full force in.. 3.. 2.. 1..
Send in the peguins!!
my fings have never bled, theyve gotten incredibly sore and hurting, but never bled

weird
when i learn songs i work one bar at a time..

I stop after 10 mins on one bar.. if i cant get it after that i just keep practicin the part i do know, and in about a week i look at what i couldnt get.

like crossroads (cream), i was having trouble with the last part of the intro, so i just moved on and learned the chorus and what i could of the intro... a week later i could tell what clapton was doing so i went back in and looked at the part i didnt know.. easy now.
Memorization has never been a problem for me, regardless of how many thousands of notes there happen to be in any given song.

If I encounter difficulty playing the song, well I simply slow it down until I can play it perfectly, then slowly speed it up, using a metronome or guitar pro.

I remember my biggest challenge was the song Take No Prisoners by Megadeth. I played the song 10 times a day. I started off playing it at half speed, and moved the speed up one notch each time I played it, the next day I would start one notch higher than I started on previously, and so on each day until I got stuck. Then I would move back 5 notches and repeat. I think it took over 4 months to get it up to speed.
Well I learn songs by ear, so I usually come up with some abridged not-quite-there version that's slower and more boring, and kindof accept it at that. I probably get discouraged pretty fast, as I don't like spending a lot of time learning very difficult songs and would rather spend time playing things that I'll enjoy more.

Slurgi
Well, it depends on what I'm learning the song for.

If I'm learning a song for performance purposes, I have to persevere to the end. Maybe not in one session, but it has to get done somehow. If the solo section is improvised, I might not sweat learning the solo note for note, but I want to do it justice, and I might pick my favorite licks to give something as a reminder.

If the song is simply for learning purposes, usually I've selected the licks from the song that are techniques that I want to improve on, and I concentrate on those. I usually set reasonable goals for each, so instead of working on one technique or passage for most of my practice time, I practice a few different techniques for moderate amounts of time. This keeps me interested, and doesn't fatigue me by trying to reach an unrealistic goal for a passage in one day.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Quote by rockyoursockson
I say forget this, smoke on the water is a dumb song any way.

XD
When I tried to play "Perpetual Burn".
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by psychodelia
Well, it depends on what I'm learning the song for.

If I'm learning a song for performance purposes, I have to persevere to the end. Maybe not in one session, but it has to get done somehow. If the solo section is improvised, I might not sweat learning the solo note for note, but I want to do it justice, and I might pick my favorite licks to give something as a reminder.

If the song is simply for learning purposes, usually I've selected the licks from the song that are techniques that I want to improve on, and I concentrate on those. I usually set reasonable goals for each, so instead of working on one technique or passage for most of my practice time, I practice a few different techniques for moderate amounts of time. This keeps me interested, and doesn't fatigue me by trying to reach an unrealistic goal for a passage in one day.

Same here, though I can honestly say I've never given up on anything I actually wanted to play, no matter if it's 500 notes per second... Still working on that one
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Mmph... some of my solo pieces take 6-8 months to learn.... somethings just don't come easy.

Really, nothing's too hard for you to play, most of the time when you have a piece that you're looking at and you're thinking "I can't play this." It's really more of an "I don't understand how to break this down and learn it."

Once you understand how to break down a musical system and learn it through fragmentation/isolation of certain sections, you can learn anything. The technical ability follows.
Quote by les_kris
Corwinoid is God
I'm not even God-like... I've officially usurped the Almighty's throne.
Click here to worship me.

Member #3 of the Corwinoid Fan Club
I don't give up. After I feel like I've given my all, and my hands are hurting, and I can barely play b/c of my calluses on top of calluses, I just put down the guitar and call it a day.

I felt the same way with Stairway to Heaven when I first started. I thought I just wasn't good enough to play it. It took a long time of constantly playing it but now I can play that song almost to perfection. Why? Because I never gave up. I practiced it every day. Now I'm triumphant!
keep at it bitch!
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
If your vegetarian girl harasses you about eating meat, snap back with, "Eating more entirely defenseless plants that provide us with oxygen?"

That'll shut that bitch up faster than two black eyes.

I don't try to learn songs that are way beyond my skill level. I watch powertab play them for me and mabye learn a few of the easier riffs, but not the million mile an hour stuff because my fingers physically can't move that fast yet.
Read my post. Not this.
when i see a powerchord...

lol jk but its usually when i see a minute long solo in a tab im like "aww **** no way"
far far far too soon
"No one ? and I repeat, no one ? has ever died for a flag. See, a flag ... is just a piece of cloth. They may have died for freedom, which is also the freedom to burn the f*ckin' flag, see. That's freedom." - Bill Hicks
Usually when my fingers start to bleed. It happens every now and then. I go through 4-5 calouses in a week if I play for the usual 4-5 hours a day, so it's not that hard to if one just shed off. If I can't play something, and I slow it down about a little over half the speed and still can't play it fairly well, I'll play that section looped at a slower pace(audio not on guitar)for about 20-30 mins. Then if I still can't play at a little over half the speed at this point, I say **** this, and go cry in a corner for a few hours cause I failed at something.
Actually no, I just stick to things a little under my skill level for a few days and try again every couple days.
Quote by DispsablePuppet
So I was at the store the other day... and your all gay.

Mmph... some of my solo pieces take 6-8 months to learn.... somethings just don't come easy.

Exactly, if I hadn't practiced some pieces for months I wouldn't be half the technicion (so to speak) that I am now.
When it's played by Rusty Cooley. His exercises are pretty hard most of the time, even slowed down.
Bill and Ted Fan Club Member #3. PM ollerom_mot or me to join.

"Let the Spirit guide your fingers."
i won't quit until my picking hand starts to blister
Quote by steven seagull
good, however give yourself a pat on the back for starting a thread that contains a picture of Optimus Prime!

Quote by Schneiderman
This thread sucks and is now about slot cars.
I practice a maximum of 1 hour, then i get a break of another 1 hour. If i feel like want to keep playing, then i do it for another 1 hour. If the lick is too hard i just practice it very slowly and gradually increase my speed.
6 String alternating Sweeps, I try, but it is quite difficult.... someday........ someday....
Originally posted by turinbrakes
actually YOU SUCK

"I once read a poem, held my breath
But that moment's gone
First time I felt life, somewhat hurts
Need an option and some hope "

Anders Fridén
Page 1 of 2